PDA

View Full Version : Soldering EL to mono plug

Jonitus
12-29-2005, 12:05 AM
Tim,

How do you solder the EL wire to the mono plug without breaking the thin wires? Do you have a special techniques you use? If so, could you enlighten me. I've stripped, soldered, broken, restripped...ad infinatum.

Good thing my blade is only going to be 33"...I do have spare EL...but help!

...how will you know the light unless you have seen the dark? How will you know the good unless you have flirted with the evil?

Jedi Ranger
12-29-2005, 01:50 AM
I don't know about Tim, or anyone else for that matter, but here is what I do.

I start by carfully stripping the EL wire core and seperating out the two strand wires. I then sodder a tiny piece of speaker wire to the 2 EL strands, and then heat shrink that. That gives me a more stable 'platform' for soddering to the mono plug.

Make sense?

http://www.members.shaw.ca/Dahak/

Strydur
12-29-2005, 02:04 AM
Here is what I do..hope it helps

-Strip outer plastic exposing the wires
-scrape coating off tip of big wire
-bend tip of big wire to a 90 degree
-position thin wires through side hole while also sliding big wire through front hole
-crimp big wire in place with pliers
-solder big wire
-solder side wires - leave them room to flex dont pull them tight
-use glue gun to seal it all solid

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

LAN-ED-TUL
12-29-2005, 02:25 AM
you could also look here:

http://elwirecheap.com/elwirsolin.html

GeluKhanGharr
12-29-2005, 01:55 PM
Yeah, look at their technique, but don't buy their crap. I tried the wire they sell lured by the cheap price. It's worthless it's so dim.

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.
http://www.saloncatalina.com/images/signature.jpg

Jonitus
12-29-2005, 03:25 PM
I'll try the technique shown on the site for elwirecheap.com and let you know how it came out. I hope it works.

...I forgot to order a switch with my modular hilt and blade kit...D'oh!

...how will you know the light unless you have seen the dark? How will you know the good unless you have flirted with the evil?

Jonitus
12-29-2005, 09:45 PM
Didn't work. I think soldering this stuff is an operation best left to professionals. I'm calling it quits on this project. I'd rather just spend the money and get a blade that already works. The extra money is worth not being frustrated. This is a hobby...it's supposed to be fun.

LAN-ED-TUL
12-30-2005, 01:46 AM
well gelu. i was only refering to the chart not their stuff. myself i followed tims technique and it worked perfect.

GeluKhanGharr
12-31-2005, 03:54 AM
Lan-ed-tul I know, I was just posting that for the general public, as a warning. I got burned on their cheap crap, so I wanted to save others the expense. I still bought it even after Tim warned me about it. Anyway, I use a different method than both Tim and the one on the elwirecheap website. After I stripp my wire, I wrapp a piece of copper tape at the base of it, fold the thin wires back over it and solder them. Now I have a solid end, easy to solder to anything - ie the mono plug

LAN-ED-TUL
12-31-2005, 05:20 PM
yeah i think you mentioned that on another thread once or someone else did. i remember reading that someplace. sounds like it would work just fine.

GeluKhanGharr
01-01-2006, 04:54 AM
I posted that on the force boards with detailed pictures - on Loreen's thread.

LAN-ED-TUL
01-02-2006, 01:52 AM
aww tthats where i saw it.

Jedi-Loreen
01-03-2006, 01:33 AM
<font size="3"><font color="purple">I don't even bother with the stereo wire anymore, either, like in the elwirecheap.com instructions. I used to go hang out with those guys, their warehouse is just a few miles from where I work. Back when I started making EL blades, the High Brightness wire didn't exist yet. I don't know why those guys don't stock it. [:I] They lost my business and are losing out on it with other EL blade builders.

I'm using Tim's quick and easy soldering method now.[;)]

It did drive me crazy trying to strip that dang EL wire using a regular wire stripper. I kept cutting the fine wires with it. I decided to bite the bullet and spend the $15 for an automatic one. With all the blades I have made, it was more than worth it to save frustration, and whatever I have left of my sanity!</font id="purple"></font id="size3"> [:p]

In order to see the Light, you must sometimes risk the Dark.

LAN-ED-TUL
01-03-2006, 03:11 AM
when i put together the blue el blade kit i got from tim, i just soldered the big and the small wires directly to the mono plug. i havent had a break yet.

GFORCE13
01-04-2006, 02:33 AM
I just built one last night and this time I took a cue from Tim, he suggested Hot Glue to seal it, I couldn't find my gun so used Clear RTV instead.

May the Force
Be with You

Marc E.

Strydur
01-04-2006, 09:01 AM
I used to use rtv until I tried hot glue. It dries 100 times faster and sets up allot harder.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

GFORCE13
01-05-2006, 01:43 AM
Thanks Tim I guess before I build the Green El I will have to quest for the Glue Gun we have 3 of them but can never find one when you need it.[:D]

May the Force
Be with You

Marc E.

Rough Trade
10-20-2013, 04:44 PM
I realize this is an old thread, but it seemed like the best place for my question. Is it possible to wire up an entire saber (LED + soundboard + battery pack + any other goodies) just using butt splices instead of soldering?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-20-2013, 04:52 PM
I realize this is an old thread, but it seemed like the best place for my question. Is it possible to wire up an entire saber (LED + soundboard + battery pack + any other goodies) just using butt splices instead of soldering?

Yes, this is an incredibly old thread. Is it technically possible? Maybe. However, I wouldn't recommend it. If you are going to use pre-wired stuff, why would you need to do this?

Rough Trade
10-20-2013, 05:27 PM
So I wouldn't have to solder anything. Not that I have anything against soldering, it's just that I happen to have butt splices handy, but not a soldering iron.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-20-2013, 05:49 PM
If you are going to do anything in this hobby, soldering and having the correct tools will be essential.