PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Film/GeluKhan film blades?

Ambrosius Malachai
06-05-2016, 09:51 AM
hey so i just test wired my led, after taping the heat sink module to the bottom of my blade - (the shop is out of hilt parts, so im waiting on that) - and it didnt light up evenly. im using a 1" thick walled diffused blade. - after seeing someone post on on the forum about blade comparison - with pictures, i noticed one blade did really well to keep it evenly lit - the Ultra Film/GeluKhan film blades. or the xwing's blades? it isnt too clear. the list says all that but the pictures only show one. upon googling this and doing a bit of searching - i cant find anything exept people arguing which is better; that or corbin film. So - what is this film, and where can i get it? do i use a single wrap or double, or quad? how well does it really do?

Onli-Won Kanomi
06-05-2016, 02:09 PM
The Gelu/Ultra style film you seek is very easily found - it is simply the clear plastic [polyester or mylar] film used for gift wrapping available at almost any discount or craft stores. Multiple wraps is what gives it the 'silvery' colour inside a clear polycarbonate blade and you want to use about 5-6 feet in a blade make it evenly lit. It does that quite well but is different than the striated Corbin film which produces a 'core effect' like the Original Trilogy movie posters as well as the striations helping a bit with the pseudo-extend/retract illusion when used with a PWM fading LED driver or soundboard. Each has their uses and is really a matter of personal preference. It is also possible to combine the two in what is called an "Erv style" blade as the TCSS store sells the Corbin film on its own.

Ambrosius Malachai
06-05-2016, 04:36 PM
Thanks!