PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to wire up my battery before my recharge port and LED?

phook15
06-01-2016, 07:30 AM
The way I'm wiring it is it's easier to wire up the battery positive terminal before wiring up the recharge port and led. Pic

Silver Serpent
06-01-2016, 07:54 AM
I don't see your picture, but it's generally a poor idea to be soldering connections to powered wires. I use a quick disconnect on my battery packs whenever possible, or a kill key if it's not possible.

bunger
06-02-2016, 02:08 PM
I don't see your picture, but it's generally a poor idea to be soldering connections to powered wires. I use a quick disconnect on my battery packs whenever possible, or a kill key if it's not possible.

I am getting ready to finally start assembling my saber and hadn't thought this part through. I bought this battery:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Li-Ion-18650-37V-2600mAh-PCB-Protected-Rechargeable-Battery-Module-P672.aspx

And will use it with a recharge port and a Prizm 4.

I was just assuming I could clip the connector and solder everything together, but your response has caused me to pause that thought.

Now I'm not entirely certain how I will approach it...

Cire Yeldarb
06-02-2016, 05:17 PM
You can solder the battery wires to the recharge port, no issue!

I think what SS was referring to was to not solder the battery to the board before all the other electronics; wait til everything else is connected and then attach the battery (or make sure there is a kill key in your recharge port if you must attache the battery connections first)

Silver Serpent
06-02-2016, 07:11 PM
Yes, you can clip the connector and solder to the recharge port. I'd do that connection last, or leave the kill key in the port while I was making other soldering connections.

Important note: Only clip one wire at a time. You don't want to accidentally bridge the + and - wires of your battery.

bunger
06-03-2016, 04:20 AM
Thanks guys!!

Jay-gon Jinn
06-03-2016, 05:28 AM
Depending on how your saber assembles, you may be able to attach the recharge port to the battery, install that into the saber, insert a kill key, then install the board and solder all of it's connections. That's usually how I try to build the sabers I build...try to think ahead during the design phase as to how it will assemble.