PDA

View Full Version : Seoul P4 vs Cree XP-E2

Cire Yeldarb
05-12-2016, 01:04 PM
In an older saber with a Red Seoul P4, would upgrading to a single Red Cree XP-E2 be any brighter for the effort?

Its running off a stock MR board and 3AA (4.5v) battery solution which precludes using more than the 1 die easily.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-12-2016, 01:05 PM
Probably not. The P4's were pretty good back in the day.

Cire Yeldarb
05-12-2016, 05:03 PM
hmm, fascinating. Okay thanks FJK!

What took the P4s out of common use anyways?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-12-2016, 05:26 PM
They were discontinued as I recall.

Cire Yeldarb
05-12-2016, 05:31 PM
Huh, I guess that would do it if that were the case!

I wish there was a concise "history of saber parts" somewhere so people who haven't been here as long as others can look at where the technology was, why it changed, etc. I think it would be a fascinating thing to see!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-12-2016, 05:34 PM
Huh, I guess that would do it if that were the case!

I wish there was a concise "history of saber parts" somewhere so people who haven't been here as long as others can look at where the technology was, why it changed, etc. I think it would be a fascinating thing to see!

There is, we call it "Forums". It may take a few years to read through, though. ;)

Cire Yeldarb
05-12-2016, 05:36 PM
There is, we call it "Forums". It may take a few years to read through, though. ;)

Somehow I knew you'd say that! :p
It just gets a little harder when things like "P4" are too short to be a search term lol

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-12-2016, 05:37 PM
Somehow I knew you'd say that! :p
It just gets a little harder when things like "P4" are too short to be a search term lol

There IS a longer "term" you could have tried. ;)

Cire Yeldarb
05-12-2016, 05:46 PM
Assuming you mean Seoul, I did try that, but not much came up as far as brightness comparisons except with other even older LEDs (which I have no reference to either lol), and one person wanting to compare the brightness of a Seoul White with a Rebel Red, which resulted in a discussion of how thats not exactly how brightness worked, the inner workings of the human eye, etc.

Hence, I figured the best way to ask would be to query anyone who had been around long enough to know both LEDs in person, which as it turns out, is you! :)

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-12-2016, 05:52 PM
It's not an "easy" comparison, because the P4's were out before the (now) more current version of the Rebels. Also you had the single LED versions of the LedEngins floating around towards the end of the life of the Seoul P4's. If your asking if they are twice (3x, etc) as bright, the answer is no. They may be marginally better, but IMPO, it's not worth upgrading over.

Cire Yeldarb
05-12-2016, 06:19 PM
Very interesting, so many LED versions!

I wouldn't have expected them to be 2-3x as bright, not in only 2-3 or so years since the Seoul's heyday, but marginally better could matter to some. I'm probably with you that I wouldn't personally upgrade over it though, I know for instance I am not going to be switching all my Rebel sabers over to the new Crees, thats just not worth the trouble to me! But if the occasion ever comes up where I am going to be taking apart a saber anyway (like converting my stunt to sound) I may very well pop in a Cree while I have it on the OR table anyways.

Thanks again for your insight FJK! Once more showing why you are one of the masters!