PDA

View Full Version : Removable blade connector

profezorn
05-09-2016, 07:59 PM
Anybody tried using NL4FX-type connectors for making removable string blades?
I've seen people using 1/4 headphone connectors, but I'm a little worried about pulling a few amps through one of those.

profezorn
05-10-2016, 04:20 PM
Heh, since this connector has 4 poles, and I only need three for the blade, I can use the last one to make the blade my kill switch. :)

Like so:

Blade Hilt
+5 ------o o----UBEC---
data-----o o----teensy
ground---o o---battery negative
ground---o o---ground plane

Basically the two ground wires are connected in the blade, so the ground plane inside the hilt isn't connected to the battery until the blade is inserted.
Would be even cooler if I could charge the battery through the same connector too, but that requires more connectors or some trixy electronicses.

iwuk78
05-12-2016, 08:40 AM
Unless you are planning to not have the string light up sequentially, you would need a connector with at least the same number of pins as segments (usually 6) + 1 for the positive.
Most people seem to go with an 8 pin din connector.

That is unless you are planning to house the electronics in the blade itself. In which case what you are planning should work I guess.

FenixFire
05-12-2016, 08:54 AM
Unless you are planning to not have the string light up sequentially, you would need a connector with at least the same number of pins as segments (usually 6) + 1 for the positive.
Most people seem to go with an 8 pin din connector.

That is unless you are planning to house the electronics in the blade itself. In which case what you are planning should work I guess.
Use Multi pin connectors. Look up medical hand piece connectors for ideas. There are also 1/4" pin connectors with 6-8 contact points.

iwuk78
05-12-2016, 09:57 AM
I like this type of ham radio connectors

They have a nice detent on the side that makes for a smooth connection when you cant see to line up the blade :)

profezorn
05-12-2016, 11:02 AM
APA106 LEDs are neopixel/ws2811, they only need one pin for individual LED control.
More information here: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1938 (The ones I ordered from ebay were a lot cheaper though.)
The reason I like the NF4FX type connector is because it's a bayonet-style connector. (Push in and twist) which would help lock the blade in place.

The ham radio connectors look interesting though, how big are they? Have you built a blade using those? pictures?

iwuk78
05-12-2016, 11:13 AM
Ooh, that's cool :) I didn't know you could get through-hole ones. Nice!

Yeah I have a blade using the ham connectors, not the exact one in the pic, but similar. Here's a pic of the blade:

You can find 4 pole versions also btw.

FenixFire
05-12-2016, 11:39 AM
APA106 LEDs are neopixel/ws2811, they only need one pin for individual LED control.
More information here: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1938 (The ones I ordered from ebay were a lot cheaper though.)
The reason I like the NF4FX type connector is because it's a bayonet-style connector. (Push in and twist) which would help lock the blade in place.

The ham radio connectors look interesting though, how big are they? Have you built a blade using those? pictures?

Yes but you need a compatible controller to control the color sequencing.

CET
05-12-2016, 11:54 AM
I've been looking for a good solution to allow me to easily plug/unplug my string blade. Still pretty new to this, so I've been trying lots of things. I'm currently trying to figure out if the electric cigarette lighter in a car is a good solution. The dimensions are good, but I've had to do a fair bit of modification so far to get it to work.

I'm intrigued by this NF4FX connector idea, because it seems like it would be a fast and easy solution. I've looked at some of these connectors online, but I haven't seen any dimensions listed. How tall are they and what's their diameter?

FenixFire
05-12-2016, 12:21 PM
Cigarette lighter is only a 2 lead connector.

Those ham radio connectors are the same ones I was referring too with the medical connectors. You can get 4 to 12 pins.

CET
05-12-2016, 12:24 PM
Cigarette lighter is only a 2 lead connector.

Yes, but I don't think I'll need more than 2 poles. Just basic on/off functionality is what I'm looking for.

profezorn
05-12-2016, 12:25 PM
Try this page:
http://www.newark.com/neutrik/nl4fc/connector-speaker-jack-4-position/dp/51F1805 (click on "technical data sheet" and/or "drawing" links.)
To be clear: I plan to only use the insert of the plug, and I'm going to need to cut down the "ears" on the jack to make it fit.
It's still bigger than I would like, but it should fit.

profezorn
05-12-2016, 12:31 PM
Yes but you need a compatible controller to control the color sequencing.

I'm going to use a teensy with a prop shield.

iwuk78
05-12-2016, 01:05 PM
I'm going to use a teensy with a prop shield.

Sounds like a fun project. Pics when you get that going! :D

profezorn
07-31-2016, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the tip about these ham connectors (also called aviation connectors).
I have 3d-printed holders for these connectors available on thingiverse if anybody is interested:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1691758