PDA

View Full Version : TFA Vintage Graflex with Crystal Chamber - Mostly from TCSS parts

ZombieMacabre
05-06-2016, 06:43 PM
http://youtu.be/tL9ki_Hjilg
Hey! I sold this on eBay back in Feb. of this year and the auction went very well. The majority of the parts were bought from TCSS, including the Crystal Chamber. So, I thought some people might be interested in how some of these parts can be utilized. Hope you enjoy and thanks for looking!

Sawyer
05-06-2016, 06:53 PM
Really neat work here! I do love a vintage graflex. Nice work with the crystal chamber too.

ZombieMacabre
05-09-2016, 07:41 PM
thanks!!

darth_chasm
05-10-2016, 10:51 AM
I think I remember seeing this up there. Nice build.

k6gad
05-10-2016, 10:56 AM
Very nice work...

NanoRex
05-10-2016, 08:06 PM
After seeing 2.0s all over the place for the past half year, its nice to see a vintage build. Great work.

Kreyhn
05-12-2016, 08:16 PM
My eye is out for crystal chamber inspiration, and your saber has caught it. If you don't mind my asking, what are some of the greeblies you used, like the brass-looking pieces in front of the crystals and the pieces holding onto the crystals themselves?

CET
05-13-2016, 11:40 AM
I LOVE the glass eye shine through. I'm trying to figure out how to do that with my TCSS grafflex style emitter without having an actual glass eye.

What's the purpose of stacking the chassis discs on the bottom? I also noticed a couple on the top, but the bottom has like 4 in a row.

oldschooljedi
05-13-2016, 12:49 PM
looks good man....great work...chassis is nice

ZombieMacabre
05-15-2016, 06:55 AM
I LOVE the glass eye shine through. I'm trying to figure out how to do that with my TCSS grafflex style emitter without having an actual glass eye.

What's the purpose of stacking the chassis discs on the bottom? I also noticed a couple on the top, but the bottom has like 4 in a row.

No purpose other than cosmetics. When I cut the 4 discs located behind the crystals in half I had the other halves left over. So I thought I could use them at the bottom of the front side of the chamber. I liked the way it looked. Also if you notice the back side of them I used clear acrylic discs to hold the kill plug. When activated, I have LEDs that light up and can be seen blinking through the clear discs. I made a video were all this can be seen in action: http://youtu.be/tL9ki_Hjilg
I used the TCSS Graflex blade adapter for this build and I drilled right through it to get that light passage effect from the blade. I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by having "no glass eye" but I kept my glass eye by using a retention ring and a white plastic washer behind the glass to hold it in place. I don't know if you wanted that advice but there ya go�� Anyway thank you for the interest!

ZombieMacabre
05-15-2016, 06:56 AM
My eye is out for crystal chamber inspiration, and your saber has caught it. If you don't mind my asking, what are some of the greeblies you used, like the brass-looking pieces in front of the crystals and the pieces holding onto the crystals themselves?

The pieces used to hold the crystals are little brass plumbing adapters. I don't know the correct name but they are hollow and have a small step lathed into them. I bought them at Home Depot in the plumbing section. The crystals were glued with a two part bonding glue. Very strong. The brass pieces in front of crystals however I have no idea. I collect junk pieces for this purpose so I'm not sure where they are from. But I liked the look so much I'm trying to replicate it and I found some little brass posts for holding shelves in a shelving unit. (Also hardware store) About the same size and I can cut and tap the rest of the look. I used tire valve stems, brass tubing from hobby lobby and 4/40 spacers nuts from eBay. The rest was TCSS discs. Sorry I couldn't be more accurate. I love repurposing found items like they did in the movies. It's half the fun and gives every piece a unique look. Thanks for the interest and compliments!

CET
05-15-2016, 07:56 AM
I made a video were all this can be seen in action: http://youtu.be/tL9ki_Hjilg
I used the TCSS Graflex blade adapter for this build and I drilled right through it to get that light passage effect from the blade. I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by having "no glass eye" but I kept my glass eye by using a retention ring and a white plastic washer behind the glass to hold it in place. I don't know if you wanted that advice but there ya go�� Anyway thank you for the interest!

That's a fantastic video! I think you should put it in the OP. It does a great job of showing off the details of this saber.

The "no glass eye" reference is because I have a faux Grafflex emitter and I want the glass eye effect, but I haven't got an actual glass eye. TCSS sells screws that look like glass eyes, but there is no shine through.

ZombieMacabre
05-16-2016, 08:13 PM
That's a fantastic video! I think you should put it in the OP. It does a great job of showing off the details of this saber.

The "no glass eye" reference is because I have a faux Grafflex emitter and I want the glass eye effect, but I haven't got an actual glass eye. TCSS sells screws that look like glass eyes, but there is no shine through.

OK now I understand. What kind of faux Graflex is it? (Parks 2.0, Hasbro, etc.?) Maybe there's a way to get the effect you want. Again, thank you for the compliments! I'm not on the forums too often so some lingo is lost on me. What is the "OP?"

CET
05-16-2016, 08:31 PM
OK now I understand. What kind of faux Graflex is it? (Parks 2.0, Hasbro, etc.?) Maybe there's a way to get the effect you want. Again, thank you for the compliments! I'm not on the forums too often so some lingo is lost on me. What is the "OP?"

This is the emitter I have (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MHSV1-Blade-Holder-Style-20-P633.aspx). It's made by TCSS and based on the Grafflex.

OP is Original Post.