PDA

View Full Version : curved saber

Darth Vand-Alar
05-03-2016, 07:47 AM
ok. i just did a little research and want a second opinion. i want a curves saber. i want one bad. so, if i use the sand bending method and replace the emitter with a pommel (both pommels will have closed inserts to keep the sand in) would i be able to do a curved saber? the electronics and chassis will be figured out later

Darth Vand-Alar
05-03-2016, 07:50 AM
im thinking i can get some sink tubing and an extension piece, build the saber, bend it, then cut the sink tube to the shroud i want.

Onli-Won Kanomi
05-03-2016, 12:40 PM
You might want to consider using a pre-curved vacuum cleaner wand [Google "Rainbow vacuum curved wand"] rather than trying to bend a MHS hilt part. Vacuum wands have been the basis of many curved sabers in this hobby including some well known ones.

The Yin
05-03-2016, 01:04 PM
I never knew that. But I would say it's the best way.
I did one a few years ago and used a piece of electrical conduit that was already bent. But it took some cutting and lots or grinding out the inside to make it work.

FenixFire
05-03-2016, 01:46 PM
ok. i just did a little research and want a second opinion. i want a curves saber. i want one bad. so, if i use the sand bending method and replace the emitter with a pommel (both pommels will have closed inserts to keep the sand in) would i be able to do a curved saber? the electronics and chassis will be figured out later

Personally speaking from tube bending experience it is best done with pre-cut sections. This allows you to bend the section you want while having ample "flats" for the bender to grab onto. Also if bending the hilt aluminum I would strongly sugest a powered bender.

CET
05-03-2016, 02:12 PM
This is from a vacuum cleaner handle. Just an FYI, the metal is REALLY hard. It's thin and lightweight, but it's very difficult to drill and cut.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/tlfB3EFYsIiBVgreoBZ_3i1WMAjbNxRXu-qfmNCL0iItC6ZGj6BgGOCXKIvpki_xfQiTi0Ci367FcgtwuHo1 r8XlK7_eh0XkB_RCtoHBpXstBD3vdPbZ-nAiz4LbQ-kUouDHqZbSSieAN_2R33dSLrL20jX-_4Wt5kTJp4rCibKyh7LgP7jE4XreJyDOQATMVbixC-4QjAOcg3sFfZDwGIY8xf2scTF0oQktULJuExEaw6aVE_5zZyfX CY1i3K_1UszE2flASZVrrUL_d8rVtcNwRgP_1t7NIObw737BJU B_cYZahTLq30iyGqFIN3Tf9StkgAvoLBcPUVA18hfaUp4-qALYsfkUwKLwat2WXu8Z7LR-r8vlwt70Gr4Ou2lIuN1MHrr5w6YAWBOyjP1o-k8s03xPNllN5S-rRuVCHQ7IP7U3RfmfnvSXyptnaDKqWk9Nz7nZUkfre4jd-a94MaW3TQibevHsb2MwZAxrCrkuaoaqZsbHVn1joXG-meiOvQn6grl4-BtiwRhJSyoQSFhYy0_Iz_mI5F12EcVUdaO6d3nSkjFtjVvfAgx dMio2Gz4xcA=w1186-h667-no

Darth Vand-Alar
05-03-2016, 08:08 PM
Personally speaking from tube bending experience it is best done with pre-cut sections. This allows you to bend the section you want while having ample "flats" for the bender to grab onto. Also if bending the hilt aluminum I would strongly sugest a powered bender.

thats why i want to build it first. if i use a main body or a long extender i can put the bend in without building. maybe. if i use a short extender for the bend ill need the rest of the hilt just so i can grab it. might stick a couple long bar stock just a little smaller than the ID and bend it that way. in fact the bar would help protect the threads if i build the saber first.

Darth Vand-Alar
05-04-2016, 09:55 PM
on a similar note, im finding it hard to locate a good place for the covertec wheel. could i use a longer screw for securing the covertec and use it as a retention screw?

Silver Serpent
05-05-2016, 05:05 AM
You can, but you'll need to be very precise with the length of the screw. If it's too short, it won't secure your blade properly. If it's too long, the covertec button will be loose.

DarthSkummelavsky
05-05-2016, 12:54 PM
quick question: how does the vacuum hose hold up compared to 1 1/4 ID to 1 1/2 ID sink tubing?

CET
05-05-2016, 01:24 PM
The vacuum tube is thin, light, and VERY tough. I'm thinking about making future sabers out of the same material. The only problem is that it's a pain in the butt to cut and drill.

Xeron
05-06-2016, 07:04 PM
quick question: how does the vacuum hose hold up compared to 1 1/4 ID to 1 1/2 ID sink tubing?

Don't waste your money buying sink tubing for bending. It's chrome plated brass and doesn't bend all that well with that plating (at least in my experiments).

To answer your question though, the vacuum hose tube will be considerably tougher than the sink tubing, but also harder to machine.

Silver Serpent
05-08-2016, 08:32 AM
My mother used to have a Rainbow vacuum cleaner. I believe the curved handle piece is stainless steel. That would explain why it's harder to machine than aluminum.

Onli-Won Kanomi
05-08-2016, 01:03 PM
Rainbow wands are MUCH tougher than sinktubes.

I just did the magnet test on mine and can confirm yes it IS steel which indeed does explain why it is harder machining it than aluminum hilt parts, but on the upside should be durable.