PDA

View Full Version : RGB vs Custom TRI Cree LED

McClane
04-28-2016, 12:32 PM
Is an RGB or a Tri Cree better for flash on clash?

Which would be brighter and/or fuller?

I'm planning on color mixing to get a amethyst or even into indigo blade that flashes magenta/red.

Silver Serpent
04-28-2016, 01:03 PM
RGB just means a Red/Green/Blue LED. You can get Tri-Crees in an RGB setup. The Cree LEDs are currently the best and brightest LEDs available at TCSS.

Jamonk Arturan
04-28-2016, 04:29 PM
I'm actually just finishing up an indigo bladed saber myself. For my build (running off of a 3.7v 18650 Li-Ion from the shop) I used a R/rB/W tri-Cree. I run the rB with a 0.5ohm resistor and ended up resistor-ing the heck out of the Red (34.2ohms). I use the white (with another 0.5ohm resistor) for FoC which gives me a pale lavender color for the flash.

If I were to try to make the flash magenta instead I would probably get a R/R/rB instead though and hook the rB and 1 of the Reds up like I have them now and then run the second red at full (safe) voltage (for my build a 1.5-2ohm resistor would likely suffice) for the flash.

The advantage of a R/G/B is you can mix a lot more colors (like yellows and greens), I'm thinking mixing green FoC with an indigo blade would probably give you some sort of cyan-ish flash (since that's what you get with G and B -your red will be resistor-ed down so much it probably won't show through much during the FoC). If you're very set on an indigo (or similar) with magenta flash either a R/R/rB or a R/R/B may be more like what you want.

-Of course be sure to do your own calculations for what minimum resistors your particular build will need to protect your leds.

McClane
04-28-2016, 04:44 PM
Is an RGB or a Tri Cree better for flash on clash?

Which would be brighter and/or fuller?

I'm planning on color mixing to get a amethyst or even into indigo blade that flashes magenta/red.

I was specifically referring to the single dome RGB LED like this one http://www.ledsupply.com/leds/cree-mce-rgbw-high-power-led

My bad for not being clear

snilam
04-28-2016, 07:16 PM
looking at the spec sheet its not nearly as bright as the TCSS. I see what you are thinking with the single dome but it just won't be as bright. Also runs at 700ma

McClane
04-29-2016, 04:41 PM
looking at the spec sheet its not nearly as bright as the TCSS. I see what you are thinking with the single dome but it just won't be as bright. Also runs at 700ma

That was just a quick search example. Not one that i intended to uses. But you get the idea.

I think a TRI Cree will be better no matter what.

CET
04-29-2016, 05:55 PM
Basically, are you married to one color for your lightsaber or do you want to change it from time to time? If you want to change your saber color, get an R/G/B. If you want a specific color for your saber and you don't see yourself ever wanting another color, get a custom tri-cree. It also depends on what soundcard you're using, as some support color changing and some don't.

McClane
04-29-2016, 07:44 PM
The colors will be permanent. If I ever want to change I'll build another LED module.
Likely be going with the Nano Biscotte for the first build.