PDA

View Full Version : I Need More Power! 12v 3a

TwixEmma
04-17-2016, 09:46 PM
Hi, I'm designing a saber hilt and system to go with it, and the system I've designed needs two power voltages from the same source.
That is, I need one circuit providing 12v, and another circuit on 3v or there abouts for 3v. I don't have vast knowledge of types of batteries and sizes, or step up modules and was wondering if someone here would be able and willing to point me to some good sources.
Product suggestions are also welcomed as I'm simply looking for a solution.
My theory is to have either a battery or series of batteries that provide 12v and then step that down to 3v, or have a battery supply that provides 3.7v or 7.4v and step that up to 12v.
I also need a minimum of 3-6amps, preferably an operating time of around at least 1 hour.
My hilt is a stunt hilt so no sound circuitry, just control circuitry for lighting and other systems that I'm including.
Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

FenixFire
04-17-2016, 10:17 PM
Those are some pretty high demands. 6A with a 1hour battery life would need a battery with a minimum of a 6000mA capacity. Also most lithium batteries protection circuits max out at 2 - 3 amps depending on battery and manufacturer. To meet this battery demands you might have to consider a proto-saber design.

A quick search and I found a couple of lithium polymer packs that might work, but they are in the 3"X1"x5".

TwixEmma
04-18-2016, 08:52 AM
Those are some pretty high demands. 6A with a 1hour battery life would need a battery with a minimum of a 6000mA capacity. Also most lithium batteries protection circuits max out at 2 - 3 amps depending on battery and manufacturer. To meet this battery demands you might have to consider a proto-saber design.

A quick search and I found a couple of lithium polymer packs that might work, but they are in the 3"X1"x5".

Ok, I understand what you're saying and I know it's fairly high demand, what about for closer to 3amps? It doesn't have to be as high as 6amps.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
04-18-2016, 09:18 AM
What exactly are you trying to run that you need that much power?

TwixEmma
04-18-2016, 06:08 PM
What exactly are you trying to run that you need that much power?

I'm trying to run an experimental blade, but also the hilt is going to be duel purpose and able to mount a burning laser module, purpose being I can use it either as a tool(laser engraver or plastic cutting) or I can swap the burner out for the custom blade which houses 200-400 LEDs.

FenixFire
04-18-2016, 08:44 PM
I'm trying to run an experimental blade, but also the hilt is going to be duel purpose and able to mount a burning laser module, purpose being I can use it either as a tool(laser engraver or plastic cutting) or I can swap the burner out for the custom blade which houses 200-400 LEDs.

So this is coming from an ergonomics expert. Would you be using the hilt hand held for the engraving? A 1.5 in diameter handle is not very synonymous with precision control. For that kind of precision control, if hand held engraving, it would need to be in the .5 - .75 inch range for a precision tri-lateral grip (pencile style grip). I have designed several medical hand pieces using laser and plasma (electrocotery+saline) cutting technologies, so I do know something about controlling precision cutting tools and how to design them.

Good luck with the build though. If the laser is the high voltage there are burning lasers for plastic only engraving that run at 2.85v at 350mA and 3.5v at 1000mA. Added bonus is they are only 1/2" in diameter.

Research the string blade techniques because I am pretty sure that there are people putting double strings of 100 LEDs per string in their blades. Using a 6 segment parallel/series hybrid they call serial or something like that.

TwixEmma
04-18-2016, 10:08 PM
So this is coming from an ergonomics expert. Would you be using the hilt hand held for the engraving? A 1.5 in diameter handle is not very synonymous with precision control. For that kind of precision control, if hand held engraving, it would need to be in the .5 - .75 inch range for a precision tri-lateral grip (pencile style grip). I have designed several medical hand pieces using laser and plasma (electrocotery+saline) cutting technologies, so I do now something about controlling precision cutting tools and how to design them.

Good luck with the build though. If the laser is the high voltage there are burning lasers for plastic only engraving that run at 2.85v at 350mA and 3.5v at 1000mA. Added bonus is they are only 1/2" in diameter.

Research the string blade techniques because I am pretty sure that there are people putting double strings of 100 LEDs per string in their blades. Using a 6 segment parallel/series hybrid they call serial or something like that.

Hmm I appreciate your perspective, I find the idea of sgmenting separate strings of leds intriguing and something I hadn't considered before, I probably should research the led string stuff more. As for ergonomically speaking I should have also mentioned that the whole hilt I've designed is 100% non standard and custom dimensions, however for my uses of the tooling aspect great deals of precision aren't needed as such for what it'll be used for. Still, interesting perspective :)
As for power use I'm intending to use a laser module that I already own which is 2w, 2-3a, 7-12v, 12mm diameter. So I'm trying to design it around what I have and am used to.