PDA

View Full Version : 16Ω Speaker + NBv2 ?

Mineral
04-09-2016, 09:33 PM
I have a NBv2 and a really nice little 35mm speaker I dug out of a dead Dell monitor's soundbar. The speaker is 16Ω. The owner's manual says the NB likes 4-8Ω speakers, so...

1) if I use the 16Ω speaker by itself, will I just get a quieter sound, or will I damage something?
2) can I parallel wire-in a 16Ω, 2-5W dummy load (resistor) to lower the impedance to 8Ω?

I have a premium speaker from TCSS that I will use for testing and can use permanently, but my flash-handle based saber can fit this 35mm speaker so I'd like to try it too.

Mineral
04-12-2016, 12:14 PM
For completeness's sake...

Everything I've read online leads me to believe that the answer to both questions is yes. Yes, higher impedance results in a quieter sound from the speaker, but generally does not damage the amplifier/sound-card. And, yes, two parallel 16Ω loads act like a single 8Ω load.

So I ordered a 16Ω 5W resistor. I'll report the results for posterity when I've tested it.

For what it's worth, because of the way speakers work, if you test a speaker's impedance with a multimeter, it'll read about* .75 the nominal value of the speaker. A 16Ω speaker tests as 12Ω on the multimeter; 8Ω reads-out about 6Ω and so on. I thought I had a weird 12Ω speaker for a minute.

* very loose "about."

FenixFire
04-12-2016, 01:58 PM
After I broke the Ezera speaker on my first build, I tested two cheepo speakers salvaged from a couple of rc toys, they were stamped as 8ohm and they both read (fluctuating) 7.8 - 8.0 ohms. But then it is a very expensive multi-meter.

CET
04-13-2016, 11:38 AM
How many watts is the speaker rated at? The speakers in TCSS are 1.5-2 watt running 8 ohms. If you're running 16 ohms, but pushing 5 watts, it won't be so quite as you might think.

Mineral
04-13-2016, 12:40 PM
The speaker is unlabeled, so I don't know it's max rating, but the amplifier in the NBv2 is still outputting the same 2 watts regardless of the max wattage of the speaker.

A 2W amplifier at full output will try to vibrate the same amount of air (i.e. do the same amount of work, thus watts) with any speaker, and as long as that speaker is rated for at least 2W (and of the correct impedance), it should succeed.* If the speaker's max input wattage is lower than the watts being output by the amplifier, the poor speaker will try to vibrate more air than it is capable of and break itself in the process.

The maximum output of the amplifier determines the volume, not the maximum input of the speaker.

*Other things, like cone size and frequency response, will affect the sound quality, but the raw decibel volume should be very similar.