PDA

View Full Version : orange blade

darth ney
01-27-2007, 07:29 PM
can anyone tell me the best way to make an orange blade.if you have pics of how each one looks it will help.
do you think the new tri-lux will do the job?thanx for help.

xwingband
01-27-2007, 07:35 PM
Moved to here. Ideally the LED blade colors forum is a gallery forum too.

The truest orange color you will get is from any RGB system. The easiest would be a white with filter. Next would be the plain prolight solution.

Obviously the brightest option would be the tri-lux as it's 3 LEDs as opposed to the 3 1W's, but it's not really available. It's still a development thing. You won't be getting to use that for a while.

darth ney
01-27-2007, 07:43 PM
thanx for moving it.now where do i get an RGB led from, and how would i wire it up with sound? do you know about how long it will be before we all can buy the tri lux?

Marsupial
01-28-2007, 01:20 AM
Depending how orange you want your blade to be...

Luxeon do have "amber" which is the orangish color used for circulation lights.

I have one and believe it looks orange ennough.

http://yanlauzon.ifastnet.com/images/starwars/LightsaberPhotographyComparison/photo5_small.jpg (http://yanlauzon.ifastnet.com/images/starwars/LightsaberPhotographyComparison/photo5.jpg)

in the end, its up to you.

I hope you find this info useful.

darth ney
01-28-2007, 05:51 AM
yes an amber would work but how would i get it as bright as it can go? i would not hook sound to it i would keep the sound and light seperate and each would have its own power source.but i want it as bright as i can get it.can a tri-lux do 3 ambers?

SilentBob501
01-28-2007, 11:27 AM
Darth Ney, this is a subject that I can whole-heartedly relate to. I, myself, wanted to make my first saber have an orange blade. I started with a 3w Red-Orange LED. Its kinda orange, but mostly it was reddish. I then moved on to a 3w white with lee filters, I didnt really like the orange options. So finally, on a whim, I decided to buy a 3w amber, which I had previously dismissed as too yellow from its pictures. But I gotta tell you, the color I get from my 3w amber is the most satisying orange lighted blade I have yet found.

vortextwist
01-28-2007, 11:32 AM
I hear that. I converted my vader with a 3 watt amber, It looks pretty sweet.

darth ney
01-28-2007, 01:17 PM
what is the max brightness an amber will go? and yes from the pics it does look more yellow than orange.but i think i will give it a go so i can see how it looks in person.

Lord Maul
01-28-2007, 01:20 PM
pics almost always distort the colors. on ultra's site he has something called fire orange. that is amber. his pics are really good and they show the true color

darth ney
01-28-2007, 01:24 PM
ok i was trying to figure out what color of led it was that he is using because i really liked the color he used in that pic

Lord Maul
01-28-2007, 01:28 PM
well, it's an amber that shows up as an orange :D :wink:

xwingband
01-28-2007, 01:30 PM
what is the max brightness an amber will go? and yes from the pics it does look more yellow than orange.but i think i will give it a go so i can see how it looks in person.

Actually that a red-orange that has lots of orange in it... I think.

I can understand Ney's question though. Amber is neither yellow or orange. I'd like both... Red-orange isn't quite orange enough and Amber isn't really close either.

darth ney
01-28-2007, 01:36 PM
ok guys just for reference for when the tri-lux is out what color combo should i get?

Lord Maul
01-28-2007, 01:40 PM
you should probably just get a RGB setup with the tri lux. that way you get every color posible, including orange.

darth ney
01-28-2007, 01:45 PM
ok stupid question but what does the R G B stand for? and do you think the tri-lux will come in all amber?

xwingband
01-28-2007, 01:46 PM
While technically you could get any color out of RGB, if you wanted to really split hairs for the orangish colors I'd get: A Red, Red-orange and Amber.

They're all the same amperage so it'd take just one driver.

darth ney
01-28-2007, 01:51 PM
how true of an orange could i get with that setup? and what does R G B stand for?

xwingband
01-28-2007, 01:58 PM
Red, Green and Blue. That's the colors that make up white light. Everything else is a mix of them. Like Orange is Red and Green.

With and RGB you could get ANY color. There is infinite amounts of colors to get. My mixed R,RO, and A suggestion was just because in practice you can get easier variations just based on the limits of your fingers and the dials.

darth ney
01-28-2007, 02:02 PM
ok thats good info thanx xwing

SilentBob501
01-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Here is a picture of the same saber with both a red-orange LED and an amber one.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m117/semmerman/3colors-1.jpg
The Red-Orange is on the left and the Amber is on the right. Ironically in real life the Red-Orange is less orange than the picture shows, and the amber is more orange than yellow. I was actually a bit surprised how orange the amber really is in person.

Here's Ultra's color chart for comparison...
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m117/semmerman/bladecolors.jpg

Marsupial
01-28-2007, 04:45 PM
I have a red-orange, and maybe I didn't get the proper bin, but its more red, less orange. I could use it for a sith saber without getting coloration comments.

My amber, maybe I have a nice orange bin, because it doesn't look yellow at all in person.

People refer to them as my red saber and orange saber. Go figure.

http://yanlauzon.ifastnet.com/images/starwars/brasssaber/photo50_small.jpg (http://yanlauzon.ifastnet.com/images/starwars/brasssaber/photo50.jpg)

Same here, on picture... looks yellowish and orangish. Not like in person.

darth ney
01-29-2007, 09:01 PM
great you guys, i think i will go with a red-orange and two amber or just 3 amber thanx for the help and info :D

maticus85
03-09-2007, 02:17 PM
I also have a 3W Red-Orange and in person, it definitley appears more red than orange. This is the first I've heard of the amber LEDs looking orange in person. Makes me want to buy one and find out for myself. I'm tired of having to tell people my blade is supposed to be orange, not red. :)

xwingband
03-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Yeah, ultra can afford to play with all the various bins of Amber since he orders LEDs by the roll. I asked him which he is using but he hasn't gotten back on that.

If he doesn't I'm just going to go in search of those extreme bins of Amber. I want both a good orange and yellow.

Marsupial
03-09-2007, 02:56 PM
if you can locate a good source of yellow luxeon, please let us know. I know of some people that would be interested in that.

Novastar
04-17-2007, 02:14 PM
It appears that when everyone is looking for "other" colors with the LEDs, they are basically looking for the wavelengths IN BETWEEN the "optimal" wavelength for any particular color.

http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/DS46.pdf

Use the spec sheet page #5 to determine minimum, typical and max wavelengths:

Red
620.5nm 627nm 645nm

Red-Orange
613.5nm 617nm 620.5nm

Amber
584.5nm 590nm 597nm

As you might imagine, if you get an LED (of any color) on the bleeding edge of any wavelength--or in between, you will have a "different" dazzling color of that bin rather than the "standard".

Granted, as X-Wing and many others have mentioned, you can't just call up Luxeonstar or Lumileds and just say you want ONE. You need to order hundreds... or play lotto and just keep seeing what ya get!

If you're lucky, you could always ask Tim or Corbin to keep an eye out for Bin X, Y or Z. But you'll never know until you see it.

"Orange" would likely be 600-605nm. Give or take.

Ryma Mara
04-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Yeah I have been trying to figure out how to get the best orange possable without haveing to do a stupid filter.

When I get my taxes back iam gonna make a special order for that wavelength led. Is that wavelength based on an amber led?

Novastar
04-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Ryma, as mentioned by many, you should read the entire post, lol.

Barmic Rin
04-18-2007, 12:51 PM
www.rapidonline.com
I picked up an amber LED here, though it looks more orange. It cost me like $6!
The bad point for you guys is shipping as they're based over here. I'll post pic once I take one.

I'm slightly disappointed at lack of amber, but since it was gonna be used for a junk saber anyway, I think it'll look better orange.
Plus, Tim gets more cash outta me for his Ambers. :wink:

Barmic Rin
04-19-2007, 02:30 AM
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t78/barmic_rin/17042007340.jpg

As promised, my 'Amber' blade. As you can see, it's a really nice orange as opposed to the more yellowy amber most other places sell.

(Sorry for thedouble post!)

Ryma Mara
04-19-2007, 05:54 PM
would you happen to know the bin number on that led? its the first number in the first line next to a letter. on the back of the led

Barmic Rin
04-20-2007, 02:17 AM
I'll find out & post it.

Ryma Mara
04-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Ok I got to looking at something.

the K2 red orance http://www.luxeonstar.com/item.php?id=1807&link_str=330&partno=LXK2-PH12-S00

They say the wavelength is 617nm. now thats close to what was said of 605 nm or so.

to me that would be about as close to orange as possable without having to order hundreds of leds just to get the wavelength needed. thats the closest I have found for the NM for orange.

One of these days iam gonna order one and figure out how to mount it to a star base and see how orange it is.

Novastar
04-24-2007, 11:48 PM
Ryma,

Again--you should read the entire post, lol.

The K2 is not technically "as bright" lumen-wise as the Lux III. And the proposed nm rating is just an average/basis. The ACTUAL wavelength that you end up having will vary.

Also--the difference between the wavelength of 617 and 600 is quite a bit.

Read the entire post--look up the lumileds spec sheets and study them. You'll begin to understand that it's a needle in a haystack unless you order in hundreds and THEN can specify the exact bin you'd like... if they're willing to deal with you in that regard.

Ryma Mara
04-25-2007, 01:55 AM
Delete this post

Ryma Mara
04-25-2007, 02:05 AM
Here I will even point it out for ya. this computer dosent oven pdf files right. stupid windows xp crap.

But you never said what led to start with to try to get the right NM and wavelength you never even said what wavelength just the nm.

You got to realize that not everyones computers can do everything so somethings this pc cant do is load pdf files right.

I found the closes led to the NM that you mentened at the bottem you colored orange. Yeah bins matter to the blues and greens but not as much to the reds and ambers.

If its one thing I put alot of searching into is how bins affect things and a bin 6 green is alot better green than a bin 2. bin 6 cyan is mistaken as green cause theres alot less blue in it.

Here the diffenition of lumens

The unit of luminous flux in the International System, equal to the amount of light given out through a solid angle by a source of one candela intensity radiating equally in all directions.

It appears that when everyone is looking for "other" colors with the LEDs, they are basically looking for the wavelengths IN BETWEEN the "optimal" wavelength for any particular color.

http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/DS46.pdf

Use the spec sheet page #5 to determine minimum, typical and max wavelengths:

Red
620.5nm 627nm 645nm

Red-Orange
613.5nm 617nm 620.5nm

Amber
584.5nm 590nm 597nm

As you might imagine, if you get an LED (of any color) on the bleeding edge of any wavelength--or in between, you will have a "different" dazzling color of that bin rather than the "standard".

Granted, as X-Wing and many others have mentioned, you can't just call up Luxeonstar or Lumileds and just say you want ONE. You need to order hundreds... or play lotto and just keep seeing what ya get!

If you're lucky, you could always ask Tim or Corbin to keep an eye out for Bin X, Y or Z. But you'll never know until you see it.

"Orange" would likely be 600-605nm. Give or take.

The wavelength and NM is what makes up the color the color makes up the the amount of light given off.

I ahve read the post over and over and it still dosent tell me the info that is needed except for the NM that needed to get around the color of orange and the closest I found was the K2 red orange. so it dosent give off alot of lumens big deal as long as theres a signifagent amount of orange in the color I could care less.[/quote]

More to say I have. I got it working on a friends PC, The PDF file tells me that wavelength and NM are the same thing.

so if you find an led thats typical NM is in the 600-605 your to get an orange but out of what led? my guess is the red orange but the closest 600-605 NM is the k2 red orange at 617nm.

with reds and ambers the bin codes dont matter as much with the blues and greens. by that I mean its not a dramatic shift in color change like a bin 3-4 cyan is blue.

Barmic Rin
04-25-2007, 05:37 AM
Here's the site I got my 'Amber ' from:
http://www.rapidonline.com/productinfo.aspx?tier1=Electronic+Components&tier2=Optoelectronics&tier3=Power+LEDs&tier4=3W+Star+LED&moduleno=74701

There's no bin number printed on it as far as I could see though. Just email these guys for it.

Maybe Tim should stock this one as orange for the store..... :wink:

Ryma Mara
04-25-2007, 06:12 AM
On the back of the led, the first line on the left, there should be a letter then a number. that number is the bin number.

But that led dosent look like a lumina led that we all use here.

So Iam not sure....shoot.

Barmic Rin
04-25-2007, 06:31 AM
It's slightly thinner than usual, no bin number. I'll order one if you want, if I post to you in a normal envelope shipping with be very little.

xwingband
04-25-2007, 06:46 AM
Yeah, definately not a luxeon...

As shown in the pics and the datasheet it's a nice orange color compared to the bin 4 ambers I've seen.

Get's my juices going though... I need to look at the "off brands". Tim only has bin 4's.

Also be aware some companies save a few bucks by ordering emitters and mounting them on their own stars. Thus they have no "bin" coding. Only the LumiLEDs official ones come that way.

Barmic Rin
04-25-2007, 07:32 AM
X-WIIIIIINNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

How you doin????

We miss your words of wisdom!
Let me know if you want one, & i'll see about sending one.
Tim, fancy checking these out to see if they're worth stocking?
Keep the youngsters that want a 'true' orange happy? :D

LordArgyll
04-25-2007, 07:59 AM
The wavelength and NM is what makes up the color the color makes up the the amount of light given off.

Partially true. Some colors appear "brighter" than others simply because of their wavelength, but intensity (lumens) is more related to the height of the wave and can be affected by separate factors such as power.

So why are some LEDs exempt from that "more power is brighter" thing? Because increasing the intensity can also proportionately decrease the wavelength. For example, I've overcharged a crappy little red LED before and it glowed.. amber! Before shorting, anyway. Green, sitting in the middle of the spectrum, seems to benefit the most from additional wattage because the increase in intensity doesn't adversely affect its wavelength.

BTW: nm stands for nanometer. In regard to LEDs it's the measure of the length of the light-wave that appears in the specific color, literally the wave-length. So the latter is a measure of the former, they're not separate entities. :wink:

Completely off-topic, hey, but I felt like rambling.

xwingband
04-25-2007, 11:13 AM
Doing fine. Yeah I'm interested, but I know you are across the pond. I'll be searching around soon anyway.

I need to look for bin 1 and 7 Ambers and the idea to look at other "luxeon like" LEDs hadn't occured to me.

Barmic Rin
04-25-2007, 11:48 AM
Glad to hear it dude.
Can't see an led-sized padded envelope marked as a gift costing too much shipping wise. I'll look into it if you can't find a similar one your side.

Ryma Mara
04-25-2007, 12:09 PM
Its cool. accros tthe pont shipping dosent sound to fun to me.

*sigh* guess the only way to get the true orance I want is with a trilux.

Novastar
04-25-2007, 12:52 PM
Ryma, don't despair, heheh... Argyll is right btw--I apologize that I didn't make clear to you that the nm (nanometers) ARE the measurement of the wavelength... so... that tells you your color.

I realize now that you're unable to open .pdf files. ZOUNDS. Bummer!

As to getting close to orange... you most certainly can without having to solely shoot for tri-lux... BUT you'd simply have to order a red-orange and an amber here... then wait some time... try again... and see what differences are to be had.

I can say that although I have only gone through a small amount of LEDs--I've already seen the visual differences between one "blue" and another "blue".

In fact, the last few royal blues I ordered from Tim... are SURPRISINGLY purple. :) Very Mace-like, and so I even put one in a Mace style saber. The other was a gift to Phil (along with a bunch of MHS parts) for just being a stand up guy and my "right-hand-man" for BOP I and BOP II. That's the padawan Cael character dude.

Anyhow. Ryma--it IS possible to see a more orange blade... and besides, you could try just a *little* bit of some kind of orange-tinted diffuser film... just a hint of orange and mix it with an amber LED. Could work. Just be creative.

Ryma Mara
04-25-2007, 01:04 PM
I thught filtering a color not white would make things worse or no change at all.

Novastar
04-25-2007, 01:38 PM
It really depends on a lot of things, but yes it's true that ANY kind of filter will dull the light.

I'm talking about having a *slightly* colored diffuser to just offset an amber to be the color you would like. It's very possible.

As it is--the diffuser IS filtering the light--any substance that light must pass through will take away some of the brightness. In some cases it would be a lot... in other cases, just a little.

Experiment. Tell us what you come up with.

Personally, I don't really care about getting any specific color--only that it is somewhat bright and I like having some sweet sound (read: erv's stuff)... :)

jjshumpert
04-25-2007, 01:46 PM
i have had good results filtering red 3w lux with rose lee filters to get a o.t. vader "pink" blade color, or a fucia for the kotor sith red...

using filters to slightly change the viewable wavelength of colors in such instances can sometimes get the desired effect. if trying to combine colors too far across the spectrum the results are pretty poor i.e. trying to achieve a purple blade by using a royal blue lux and a red filter.

Novastar
04-25-2007, 04:37 PM
To jj you listen, Ryma! Remember what you've learned! Save you, it can! ;)

hehehe

Ryma Mara
05-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Orange's wavelength is 610nm. forgot where I read it. :?

Novastar
05-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Approximately 610nm. I might have told you that. I've not SEEN it though, so don't be too surprised if the visual on it is too "dark"... even if you're able to get that nm measurement on an LED.

The way I can say it Ryma, is that given the way light works (as a wave), there are "brighter" peaks vs. troughs as we move through the spectrum of light. In this case, we're only interested in the visual spectrum, but anyhow...

Use this information to find what you need. I realize you said you can't view a .pdf Ryma... but maybe ask someone who CAN to print it out for you:

http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/ab21.pdf

As we shift colors, there is a sort of... umm... how do I say it "transition" period. Man this is hard to explain in text...

Some colors are just not as feasible to see given their colors being in "troughs" (low points of the visual waveform), and also being in between colors...

You wouldn't want a nasty amberish-green... I mean... it wouldn't REALLY be bright yellow... it'd be this... sort of DARK, non-ripe banana green-yellow. Arg. Can't. Explain. In. Words. Must. Talk. Like. Kirk... :)

Orange MIGHT be ok if you find the right level between Amber and Red-Orange...

...which is what I mean by around 610nm. It would take experimenting though, and you'd really need a contact in the industry willing to support your specific request.

Personally, I think it's hardly worth it--you'd spend hundreds just to get a bin of red-orange or amber that SORT OF resembles orange.

Maybe. :)

darth ney
10-09-2007, 08:00 PM
hello everybody, i finily got my own comp and wireless internet,i;m not coght up yet but i will be soon, so how are you x-wing? good to see you are on the boards still. and how is everybody else? well i still have not built a saber yet due to money problems, but you can bet as soon as the money comes in tim will have one heck of n order from me. i did get a few parts but it never went anywhere. well its good to be back. now i am off to read al that i have missed ttyl yall :D

darth ney
10-11-2007, 07:59 PM
ok well i guess nobody wants to respond,,,,,ok well see yall later then

xwingband
10-11-2007, 08:06 PM
No one responded because it had zero to do with the topic. :roll:

Darth_swarze
10-15-2007, 01:49 AM
Hey guys just wantedto let you know that i will be making a "true" orange

blade soon,which wont have a filter,it will be acheived through 12 orange

RGB leds,shouldturn out quite good, i just post a 12 UV/purple led blade/

saber you guys should take a look in my album,i do beleive they all should still be in the section "to be placed" or watever

Darth_swarze
10-30-2007, 12:29 AM
REAL ORANGE SABER 12 RGB LEDS , FINISHED LOOK IN TEST CATEGORY OR TO BE PLACE UNDER ALBUM <LED ME KNOW WAT U THINK,STAY TUNED FOR YELLOW TEST,THEN PINK TEST THEN REAL PURPLE TEST

Darth_swarze
10-31-2007, 03:33 AM
YELLOW IS NOW COMPLETED, i did not post any pictures because it was a complete failure,strangly enough the yellow rgb leds are not bright enough to make a blade, pink is next on the list to try,hopefully ill get better results

so id say so far orange has been the best test,uv was also bright enuff,how ever it is a dark colour to begin with, and yellow failed

Darth_swarze
11-04-2007, 02:06 AM
HEY NOVASTAR when you made the purple out of the royal blue and a red filter or watever u did by using a "colored led" with a colored filter.

wat was the best results for the purple and wasthe results of the purple better than a white led and purple filter??

or were u just expermenting?

Please answer these questions abou it

1)was ur experiment better than , using a white led with a purple filter?

2)what color led and color filter did u use exactly?

3) what other good color combos did u come up with?

thanks alot man

Novastar
11-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Hi darth s... well, those are a lot of questions, but, I will answer with what I think is both logical (and my opinion).

For sabers in general, filtering an LED's light is just a bad idea. I avoid this at all costs right now--especially since I just don't care about getting some SPECIFIC color like some folks are hung up on. Red, Green, Blue, Royal Blue, Cyan and Amber are just fine with me thus far! And don't forget white if that's how you roll...

However, with the recent white Luxeon REBEL LEDs... I could see filtering them a little bit for some particular colors such as yellow or maybe pink? I don't know. But, to me... it's like having a choice between using 100% of your light... or 75%. I would prefer to use it all if possible.

And until the world comes down on me and says "Balance of Power *MUST* have a [yellow, pink, purple, brown, black]-colored LED saber... or I'll tell everyone it's all just a steaming pile of rubbish and gooey slime..."

...then I don't care about filtering. Too much hassle, too little return on investment of time, resources, logistics, etc. :)

sekrogue1985
01-07-2008, 03:35 PM
ultrasabers.com fire orange is good it's more of an orange that the red/orange. bin 4 or something like that but sadly you can't get it a single star form like what we can get at TCSS.

here's a link for you

http://www.shop.ultrasabers.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=7

not sure if will help but it's the best orange that i've got

LeMoel
04-09-2008, 06:38 PM
I would talk to do clo cuz when he made his RGB led saber i think it had the best Orange i've ever seen

here it is http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/Do-Clo/IM000946.jpg

its in the 'custom" gallery page 6

DARTH KALEL
04-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Or if you wanted a really easy solution get a o red lux and add a yellow filter to it, you won't notice any light loss but it will filter the red out and waaaalaaaa orange, it's really easy and I just use the filters that tim sells, works great and with the two different yellows in tims kit you can either get a true orange or a little darker burnt orange, but it really works to get the red out, I call in my saber visine lol
Remember guys, the only time you really lose visible light through a filter is when you use a substance, like plastic, which has all kinds of particles that refract the light, lee sells glass dichronic glass filters that are really good and even at the deep purple one it's only a 20% light loss, with a P4 white your still getting 180 200 lumens. In using a filter the material is the single biggest thing to look at, or like I am starting to do is use colored polyp in the blade with the white light, you just need multiple blades lol but it's the best for certain colors, like purple yellow pink and some good blues.

Sohryu76
04-29-2008, 12:44 PM
are the lee filters good for light transmission?

xwingband
04-29-2008, 01:01 PM
are the lee filters good for light transmission?

Loaded question there...

Depends on the color. In general though they're meant for theater lighting and such... it's not going to be much better any other way.

DARTH KALEL
04-29-2008, 04:57 PM
If you use an orange red and put a yellow filter on it, it makes a great bright orange. You won't lose much light at all but the yellow like I said in another thread the yellow filters are my saber visine, get's the red out.

Barmic Rin
05-05-2008, 02:07 PM
I know i've said about it before, but for all you young'uns TruOpto make an 'AMBER' that comes out as more orange than the 'US' amber.
The only place i've found to do them is Rapidonline, a UK company.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Optoelectronics/Power-LEDs/3W-Star-LED/74701

Best described as Bronze from KOTOR 2.

DARTH KALEL
05-05-2008, 03:22 PM
just so you could see here is an orange blade with a P4 with filters, batts are really low, but the only way I could get it to show without flaring the camera too much. And that's with three of Tim's dark orange filters. two with a yellow looks great too but a little too home depot orange.

Hasid Lafre
05-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Ya know I would like to see a P4 coparo pics with simalur setups with colored leds, amber led agenst an orange filter. Now you say your using 2 or more of the TCSS color disks? now last time I even looked at a white led with color disks it was really crappy looking. Badly dimed in the middle of the blade.

Onli-Won Kanomi
05-06-2008, 03:11 AM
I'm still hoping for the day Strydur offers those custom Endors [if the optics ever come]...a custom tri-rebel Endor with 2 red-oranges and 1 green ought to be a "no compromise" orange what with full brightness of all three LEDs somewhere near 400 lumens?

Now thats the kind of FIRE orange I dream of...alas tis only a dream so far...-sigh-

DARTH KALEL
05-06-2008, 12:30 PM
that's what i'm saying can't wait to try some of the tri mounts in diff configs with clash affects. but with the P4 I don't really see any dimming in the blade unless trying to get a deep purple. I've got a good range of colors with filters from blues to greens to yellow and orange, cant get a red no matter what I try but that's to be expected. I don't lose much light at all with the lee filters. you have to remember these glass filters that lee sales are made for lights that are 20 times more powerful but still small. I will post pics when done.

Onli-Won Kanomi
05-06-2008, 05:00 PM
I think most people are thinking they want the RGB Endors so they can get the white flash on clash which admittedly would be cool, but the price of that is that for certain colours - specifically purple and orange - you end up with effectively a DUAL rebel instead of a tri-rebel with the Endor since one of the LEDs is turned completely OFF except when doing the white flash - and besides that one of the remaining may be turned up or down with pots for colour mixing so at BEST you are getting a 'bi-Lux' 2 LEDs worth of brightness...maybe only a 'Lux and a half' so to speak [not to be confused with lux measurement] eh?

I'm not sure the white clash-flash would be worth that reduction in brightness so I'm more interested in custom LED endors with all three LEDs left 'ON' for BRIGHT oranges and purples even if there is no white clash-flash...other folks mileage may vary.

And I'd also like to try the 540 lumen white endor with filters or as 'adegan silver'...at the equivalent of a 30 watt lightbulb its still probably not going to show up in bright sunlight but on semi-overcast days maybe it would work, I hope.

All waiting on Endor optics of course

DARTH KALEL
05-06-2008, 08:23 PM
I want to try one of two setups or both but two greens with a yellow for clash or two reds with a yellow for clash, I just think they would look really cool. Most of my sabers wont have sound so I have room to play with batts and drivers.

Hasid Lafre
05-06-2008, 10:28 PM
White will no dout not show up in day light.

What I want to do is eventually all of my sabers(2 or 3 at max) will have a white led setup of sorts, then I will have a blade with a gel filter in the blade itself, then some for of diffusion material like polyP or something like that.

When blade is in it looks like its on in the daylight and at night it will light up whatever color I chose.

Theres a topic about this around here somewhere but when I tryed getting more info about the blades I never got a reply back.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
05-06-2008, 10:37 PM
I just picked up some yellow cellophane gift wrap that I'd like to try with my white LED. I'm thinking one or two wraps around the outer layer would be enough to get that effect. I'll try it tomorrow and post pictures.

Edit: I'll try it with a red filter too.

Hasid Lafre
05-07-2008, 12:25 AM
You may want to try about 8 foot of it then maybe a dual film style inside that. I head that just colored cello dosent work very well. But I would still like to see what it would look like.

DARTH KALEL
05-07-2008, 12:47 PM
I actually think it works great I don't know about the cello wrap but the poly colored works great but you do need about 5 to 8 feet inside, and no clear poly. I would just use the corbin film first then the colored wrap that way the corbin will help trap some of the light inside the colored wrap. only use a single wrap of corbin. I tried red so far like 10 feet of it with corbin, it looked great, a little dim but I think with the P7 I should be fine. I get a real even blade but it's dim, maybe I will change batts real quick and post some pics

Onli-Won Kanomi
05-08-2008, 05:47 AM
White will no dout not show up in day light.

What I want to do is eventually all of my sabers(2 or 3 at max) will have a white led setup of sorts, then I will have a blade with a gel filter in the blade itself, then some for of diffusion material like polyP or something like that.

When blade is in it looks like its on in the daylight and at night it will light up whatever color I chose.

Theres a topic about this around here somewhere but when I tryed getting more info about the blades I never got a reply back.

Yeah I remember that thread and it would look good for costuming or dueling but I'd really love a blade that 'lights up' in daylight [on at least semi overcast days or in the woods not only at night] for 'Cinema Verite' [which by definition excludes Rotoscoping].

I'm guessing that since I read outdoor LED TV screens are 1000-2000 cdm^2 and that 100 watt lightbulbs are 1620 lumens [according to the label on the ones I just bought...wikipedia says 1700] that a daylight saber is going to have to be 1500 lumens or more MINIMUM...?

...YIPES...

...oh well maybe 'someday' my 'cinema verite' daylight fan film will be possible...but even an OVERCAST day saber would be closer to useful f0or my purpose...could maybe 'write around' that limitation...