PDA

View Full Version : Unusual battery question

RevanReborn
03-24-2016, 12:53 PM
Hey, guys- bit if an unusual question, was hoping to hear from someone more knowledgeable on the subject than I am :).

If you have a rechargeable power source with an output of 0.8 A (800mA) at 5V, designed for an input of 800mA at 5V- and say your only options for a charger are either 550mA at 5V or 1000mA at 5V... which is the safer/ better charging input? I was too nervous to test the 1A charger on the power source lol, but the 550mA works. Only my knowledge of batteries is admittedly weak- was worried there might be some kind of memory etc. that the low current might be stunting the battery or something? Pretty much all the chargers for these types of power sources kick out the 5V so no worries there- just wasn't able to find the exact current I needed- would the 1000mA charging input be catastrophic on the battery pack intended for 800mA input? If bad idea lol, could answer be as simple as slapping a resistor on the positive lead of the micro usb between the charger and the power source, since it's just dc output coming from the charger?

Thanks so much for your time.

Silver Serpent
03-24-2016, 01:00 PM
What is your battery chemistry? Li-ion? NiMH? Something else?

Li-ion shouldn't be charged by anything other than a smart charger designed for li-ion cells.

RevanReborn
03-24-2016, 01:13 PM
Trying to find the specs ATM- i THINK it's a lithium ion cell- tho there's a small chance, very small, it could be lithium polymer. It's a cheapo power bank- nothing you'd run a premium saber on with all the bells and whistles, but perfect for stunt. The protection etc. is all inside the casing of the bank (which I'm hoping to avoid having to open/ probably ruin to check) so no worries there, it's got indicator led's- bright blue when kicking out power to device (saber) through usb, and deep red when receiving charge through the micro usb input- it's smart, shuts off and light goes out when fully charged. The usb's are easy enough to Frankenstein and get super convenient usb recharge ports for stunts :). Just using an unusual Chinese power bank lol. Didn't come with actual ac plug/ charger.

Thanks for the response :).