PDA

View Full Version : Drilling my own switch and recharge holes

MusicallyInspired
03-24-2016, 08:55 AM
I have an MHS hilt without a main body piece (so, without a pre-drilled switch hole). Instead I have two extension pieces (MHS Ribbed Extension & MHS 3" Double Female Connector). I have two questions:

1) What's the best way to drill holes myself with conventional tools for the recharge port and a 16mm AV switch? Do taps come that large? Can I use a dremmel? I'm new to machining like this. I realize I can't get it recessed so I'm planning on getting the Brass Activation Box Style 9 to solve that problem.

2) Where would be the best place to drill the holes, in the 3" Double Female Connector or could I get by with putting them in the Ribbed Extension? I ask because my current setup has the grenade ribbed section higher up the hilt and the double female connector is near the pommel. I want to have the switch and port higher up the hilt, though. Or would you recommend swapping the positions? Here's a picture:

http://brandonblume.com/images/mhsphoto_sig.jpg

darth_chasm
03-24-2016, 09:36 AM
Practice, practice, practice. On junk or what ever. Use a hand drill or a drill press, NO dremel. Take your time. Center punch first so your bit doesn't walk. Start with a small pilot hole, then build your way up in bit size. Faster speeds for smaller bit, slower speeds for larger bits. Check out Madcow's blade retention screw video in the video section. I believe he covers hand drilling.

You can most certainly do a recessed hole, although it would be easier with a drill press and a step bit or countersink. Drilling in the ribbed section may be a little more difficult than the smooth section. And I don't think an activation box would look that great on the ribbed section...gaps and all.

For next time, know that you can request the shop to drill in almost any piece (for a fee of course). It doesn't need to be a main body.

MusicallyInspired
03-24-2016, 09:54 AM
Thank you. That's very helpful. I might just swap the parts as they connect on the hilt, as painful as that will be to my aesthetic hopes. I realize you can request the service, but I acquired most of these parts secondhand and not from TCSS itself. Could I send my part in for Tim to service? Does he do that for already sold items? I wouldn't think so...

rlobrecht
03-24-2016, 09:58 AM
I think I've seen people mention sending parts back to Tim for machining. Send him an email and ask. sales@thecustomsabershop.com

MusicallyInspired
03-24-2016, 10:07 AM
Thanks! I'll do just that.

k6gad
03-28-2016, 10:03 AM
How about one of these... clamp to your cylindrical metal and drill away!
about $25 at Walmart.....13648

lmshutt
04-05-2016, 10:17 PM
check this thread
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?19545-Drill-and-Counter-sink-Tutorials

MusicallyInspired
04-11-2016, 06:15 PM
For this time I've sent my part to Tim for him to do the service. Thanks for the advice, everyone. Perhaps I'll branch out in that area myself on one of my next sabers.