PDA

View Full Version : Blade Tip Friction Fit?

grAfLEX25
03-23-2016, 07:29 PM
I was assembling my first blade (1" OD thin walled photon) and noticed that the tip has a very tight friction fit in the poly carbonate tube. Is this enough to keep my blade tip in if I plan on light dueling?

I was reading Jay-gon's blade tutorial, but I don't think I can put a gel adhesive on at this point. I do have some plastruct bondene liquid solvent cement http://plastruct.com/shop/glues-tools-and-accessories/bond-2/. In the event that I need an adhesive, would that work?

snilam
03-23-2016, 07:57 PM
pressure fit is definitely not enough for the tip to stay in. One good smack and that tip is going sailing. I do use and highly recommend weld-on #16. I don't know about the glue you are using but it looks similar to what I used when I made my first few blades only 1 of the 3 I used it on still has the original tip on it.

Silver Serpent
03-24-2016, 04:51 AM
The solvent you listed is primarily methylene chloride, the same ingredient used in Weld-on #16. It should fuse the tip to the blade without any trouble.

grAfLEX25
03-25-2016, 01:26 PM
pressure fit is definitely not enough for the tip to stay in. One good smack and that tip is going sailing.

I was afraid of that so I did decide to glue the tip on.

The solvent you listed is primarily methylene chloride, the same ingredient used in Weld-on #16. It should fuse the tip to the blade without any trouble.

Nice catch! After reading that I decided to try out my solvent on the blade tip. So far it seems to be holding up well. I did some light whacking against another 1" thin walled blade, myself, the couch, etc. and it seems to be holding up well.

Thanks for the replies and advice!