PDA

View Full Version : Blue and Green 8mm Builds

Inf4mous
03-22-2016, 08:01 PM
Hey everyone, just finished these two 8mm builds and they are crazy bright! Ive been experimenting a bit with the construction of these strings and think i found the most efficient/durable way of making them...I just hooked em up to a 3.7v Li-ion to test them and take pics before i ship them out. Lemme know what you think.

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad311/SLIM95_2010/972106_1075638205829964_9146074533623308343_n_zpsb oraoya5.jpg

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad311/SLIM95_2010/1546226_1075638192496632_72782961528898747_n_zpswp zf7jik.jpg

Greenie
03-23-2016, 12:47 AM
Brighter than the sun! They look great dude. :)

darth_chasm
03-23-2016, 05:41 AM
Like a giant lay-zer beam.

Inf4mous
03-23-2016, 09:08 AM
Brighter than the sun! They look great dude. :)

Thanks man!!

Like a giant lay-zer beam.

Hahaha any time I read lazor beams I think of Austin powers, "freakin sharks with freakin lazor beams attached to their freakin heads" lol!

Inf4mous
03-23-2016, 12:30 PM
These are 36" and a total of 60 LED's ... I was suprised at the size of the 8mm they're huge lol

CET
03-23-2016, 07:42 PM
What's your process like?

I assume they're 100mA?

Inf4mous
03-23-2016, 08:42 PM
What's your process like?

I assume they're 100mA?

they're 20mA just like the 5mm but their lumen rating is alot higher.

i actually have a shop setup where i sell these, along with the modules..so i dont wanna reveal everything but.. i dont use the normal method most people use with the bending the legs over and crimping thing...i use 3m clear heatshrink that has adhesive on the inside around the led string, then if i dont have one piece closed cell foam ill wrap foam myself and use 1" 3m clear heat shrink around that and then they go in a dual diffused blade. you really just gotta find a really good LED supplier, ive bought some really crappy LED's before the cheapest ones are usually the worst.. it really just takes some experimenting.

CET
03-23-2016, 10:20 PM
I've been pondering not don't the hinge bend and just soldering the legs straight atop each other with heat shrink. Is that basically what you're doing?

BTW, check PM

Inf4mous
03-23-2016, 10:41 PM
I've been pondering not don't the hinge bend and just soldering the legs straight atop each other with heat shrink. Is that basically what you're doing?

BTW, check PM

similar, but i built a jig that crimps them a different way...and i PM'd you!

TeeBeutel
03-24-2016, 05:13 PM
i believe they are from superbrightleds dot com? :)
What exactly are you archieving with another method of connecting them? do you get more density (more led`s/length) or a thinner connection for less shadowing?

Inf4mous
03-24-2016, 10:18 PM
i believe they are from superbrightleds dot com? :)
What exactly are you archieving with another method of connecting them? do you get more density (more led`s/length) or a thinner connection for less shadowing?

more flexibility with the blades, eveyones thinks you need to crimp them all tight and they go crazy reinforcing them. but its makes them more likely to break faster.. heres a video i just uploaded today of my blades flexibility i could crumple them into a ball and they would be fine haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_YwYWIGA5U

TeeBeutel
03-25-2016, 06:01 AM
the flexibility is nice, indeed! But is the string flexible in the other axis, too? (towards the camera/yourself)
Making a string flexible in one direction shouln`t be too hard. I think of not crimping the legs so they have space to move and have a small cable running through the ladder connecting them (or no legs at all with a cable connecting them)

Since you say these can be duelled with, did you test it?
Flexibility is one thing, but hard punches can crack solder points (if you even have solder points)

Looking forward to hear more about the evolution of string blades :)

Inf4mous
03-25-2016, 08:10 AM
the flexibility is nice, indeed! But is the string flexible in the other axis, too? (towards the camera/yourself)
Making a string flexible in one direction shouln`t be too hard. I think of not crimping the legs so they have space to move and have a small cable running through the ladder connecting them (or no legs at all with a cable connecting them)

Since you say these can be duelled with, did you test it?
Flexibility is one thing, but hard punches can crack solder points (if you even have solder points)

Looking forward to hear more about the evolution of string blades :)

Yeah! The next video upload is gonna be me beating the crap out of these blades to show the durability...I just have to wait for my PolyC to arrive before I can do that! But I've tested these with the same method before I ran out of PolyC just didn't think of making a video at the time... And yeah it can flex the other way it's just harder to get it to straighten back out into a nice uniform Blade and not be all wavy lol

CET
03-25-2016, 11:10 AM
more flexibility with the blades, eveyones thinks you need to crimp them all tight and they go crazy reinforcing them. but its makes them more likely to break faster.. heres a video i just uploaded today of my blades flexibility i could crumple them into a ball and they would be fine haha.

I tried making hinge joints, but I found that I got intermittent contact. How did you resolve that?