PDA

View Full Version : Tri RB/G/R vs. Quad RB/G/R/W and Other Questions

Old Stormtrooper
03-18-2016, 01:28 PM
What would the difference be? Would the addition of White make for a brighter blade or brighter FoC? Planning for the CF when it's in stock (also have the CEx). I'm looking for opinions and options.

Would I want to wire Red as my primary/Channel 1 to regulate that LED at 750mA?

The CEx works on Channel 2 and Channel 3 - Does it matter which color uses a particular Channel?

Would it matter which channel is used for White if I go with a Quad?

Sorry if these have been asked many times before. My search-fu isn't always the greatest. I've been reading these Boards for about 8 months now and reading/re-reading/re-reading and reading again the manual for the CF 7.5 for about 4 months (I'm hoping it will give me a good basis for learning the 8.0 when it comes out).

Thanks in advance,
MTFBWY

NanoRex
03-18-2016, 01:40 PM
Adding a white die gives you a slightly brighter FoC and allows you to more easily blend colours with white (ie white + blue = silver). Whether you want to add a white die is up to you; usually I just stick with R/G/rB.

With the CFv7/8 + CEx, you get three regulated channels and one non-regulated channel. If you're using an RGBW you can choose which of them you don't want to be regulated. I would choose white as you'll probably use that mostly for FoC.

The CEx technically can work on any channel, even 1 if you wire it up to the right place (although that would be redundant). You can put any colour on any channel.

Old Stormtrooper
03-18-2016, 01:53 PM
Ok, maybe I'm just having a little trouble with fully understanding the manual. Page 40 (CF 7.5 manual) has a diagram that only shows 2 channels running through the CEx and page 41 says to run channels 2 &4 through the CEx (channel 3 has a CF 7.5 PEx onboard?). So the CEx really only handles 2 Die? But this allows better color mixing, correct?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
03-18-2016, 01:57 PM
Ok, maybe I'm just having a little trouble with fully understanding the manual. Page 40 (CF 7.5 manual) has a diagram that only shows 2 channels running through the CEx and page 41 says to run channels 2 &4 through the CEx (channel 3 has a CF 7.5 PEx onboard?). So the CEx really only handles 2 Die? But this allows better color mixing, correct?

Correct. The CEX (and CF/PC) ideally was designed to use 3 dice solutions. People were clamoring for the fourth die (I still have no idea why), so this "solution' was conjured up.

NanoRex
03-18-2016, 02:34 PM
I still have no idea why

This ^

Although the fourth channel does have another use now with TRIDENT RGB.

Old Stormtrooper
03-18-2016, 02:57 PM
This ^

Although the fourth channel does have another use now with TRIDENT RGB.

I'm not familiar with the Trident RGB, what's the difference?

Other than that, I think I got it. Thanks.

Silver Serpent
03-18-2016, 07:07 PM
The Trident feature is a new addition to Plecter boards that allows you to make sabers like Kylo Ren's saber, with the delayed ignition of the side vents.

Old Stormtrooper
03-19-2016, 09:32 AM
The Trident feature is a new addition to Plecter boards that allows you to make sabers like Kylo Ren's saber, with the delayed ignition of the side vents.

That explains it. I haven't been interested in making a saber with a crossguard, so I haven't been researching it.

NanoRex
03-19-2016, 09:51 AM
It's not really even in the CFv8 manual yet because the TRIDENT RGB satellite board isn't finished.