PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a 1 inch heatsink?

phook15
02-29-2016, 08:34 PM
All the 1 inch heatsink and 1 inch led holders are out of stock. Could I build a custom one?

Silver Serpent
03-01-2016, 05:51 AM
It's certainly possible. A heatsink is little more than a slug of copper (really good) or aluminum (not quite as good, but still fine). Depending on the tools and skills you have at your disposal, it can be either easy or hard to make a custom part.

A number of people (myself included) have made heatsink/LED assemblies out of copper pipe end caps from the hardware store. See here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?11890-Led-assembly-for-PVC-hilts

phook15
03-01-2016, 07:55 AM
By blade stock, does he mean cutting a strip off the bottom of a 3/4 polycarbonate blade?

Mineral
03-01-2016, 09:04 AM
I think it's from a 1" thin-walled blade, but yes.

Silver Serpent
03-01-2016, 09:49 AM
The retaining clip is made from 1" thin-walled blade stock.

I've tried it with thick-walled by accident. I don't recommend doing that.

phook15
03-01-2016, 03:30 PM
So it would work with a 3/4 inch blade?

FenixFire
03-01-2016, 03:36 PM
Probably not since the Star PCB that the LEDs are mounted to is 20mm and a 3/4 tube would have an OD of roughly 19mm.

phook15
03-01-2016, 07:54 PM
What if I use a 1 Inch to 3/4 adapter to hold the blade? And do I absolutely need the spring clip because if the 3/4 blade wont work for a clip I'm not gonna buy a 1 inch one just for the clip

Mineral
03-02-2016, 03:51 AM
You can probably come up with some other solution for holding the lens in. Hot glue might work, but you'd lose the ability to disassemble easily. Go see if there is a real 3/4" spring clip at the hardware store, maybe.

FenixFire
03-02-2016, 08:29 AM
What if I use a 1 Inch to 3/4 adapter to hold the blade? And do I absolutely need the spring clip because if the 3/4 blade wont work for a clip I'm not gonna buy a 1 inch one just for the clip

Make a trip to a hardware store, there are lots of options for retaining clips...including actual retaining clips and spring clips...be inventive.

UndercoverRen
03-05-2016, 05:10 PM
All the 1 inch heatsink and 1 inch led holders are out of stock. Could I build a custom one?

I have one on order from a different site. I haven't received it yet so I don't know if it will work.

I'm guessing I can't post a link to another store on this site, so PM me (if you can do that on this forum) and I'll send the link. I'm building my first hilt so I don't know if heat sink is the proper size, so I'd love someone experienced to take a look at the specs and let me know what they think.

Soulbp
03-07-2016, 06:40 PM
I had not seen that copper cap thread before. I've done something similar, but more complicated. I used a copper cap but I clipped it the other way with the led on the cap top. Drilled out and tied in with thermal paste and nylon screws. I drilled out for the wires and ran threaded rod up through it also. Using a sheet of acrylic I cut two washers. The onewasher was tapped for the rod and the other washer was drilled out for the rods to slide through and then center hole was widened for the lens. The rods and washer samwhiched the led lens to the heat sink.