PDA

View Full Version : cree help

redpaw70
02-29-2016, 08:28 PM
13446I've been searching the form the better part of the evening , an not really finding the answer im looking for , in my haste to buy a few parts before going to work i bought Cree Star LED & MHSV1 Heatsink Module

Red Orange
Heat Sink V4 (Flat Style)
an the 4 aa battery holder
and 2.7ohm 10w resistor , after watching robs video on youtube "build a basic saber " after i got the parts in i realized i dident actually get the parts he was assembling, any way ,with the parts i have can i run the cree star led on that 4 aa battery pack with that resistor , or will i need to go another route , im not going with sound right now that will be a a later project. sorry if this question has already been answered , i just couldent find where it had , i have built other sabers in t he past just never with this kind of set up , all mine have been maglite upgrade kits ,which look nice just not as brite as what you all do here , great job btw i have seen many many great looking sabers,but anyway sorry to ramble , but any advice or tips you guys can offer would be great.

redpaw70
02-29-2016, 08:31 PM
13446I've been searching the form the better part of the evening , an not really finding the answer im looking for , in my haste to buy a few parts before going to work i bought Cree Star LED & MHSV1 Heatsink Module

Red Orange
Heat Sink V4 (Flat Style)
an the 4 aa battery holder
and 2.7ohm 10w resistor , after watching robs video on youtube "build a basic saber " after i got the parts in i realized i dident actually get the parts he was assembling, any way ,with the parts i have can i run the cree star led on that 4 aa battery pack with that resistor , or will i need to go another route , im not going with sound right now that will be a a later project. sorry if this question has already been answered , i just couldent find where it had , i have built other sabers in t he past just never with this kind of set up , all mine have been maglite upgrade kits ,which look nice just not as brite as what you all do here , great job btw i have seen many many great looking sabers,but anyway sorry to ramble , but any advice or tips you guys can offer would be great.
i made taht saber for my son last year for wizard con austin TX

atomsk
03-01-2016, 12:54 AM
you really cant go wrong following madcows tutorial vids. highly recommended, as well as some very useful threads and tutorials on this very forum! as for your parts, you may have been a bit hasty. but youre pretty close. lets keep that led module you got, but instead of the 4x AA, just go with a 2x AA clip. 2.5v is all you need for that led. then i would get the .47ohm .5watt resistor. and dont forget you'll be needing a switch. for a basic led hilt you'll need one of the latching ones. best of luck! come back and post it up when its done.

Generic Jedi
03-01-2016, 01:12 AM
I agree with atomsk. Any extra voltage over the forward voltage an LED needs will be dissipated by the resistor.

If you decide to use the four AA battery solution, the 2.7 ohm resistor won't be big enough. You would need at least a 3.43 ohm 3.43 watt resistor.

redpaw70
03-01-2016, 04:11 AM
thanks guys as for my switch i have a couple extra halo switches from another project i was working on was gonna try using them i have http://www.amazon.com/Latching-Button-Switch-Stainless-Waterproof/dp/B00LLV4DA0/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1456790991&sr=8-15&keywords=latching+push+button

i think i can use these ,if not i'll hit up tcss ,,,,,thanks

atomsk
03-01-2016, 09:09 AM
that switch should work fine.