PDA

View Full Version : NBv2 Problem?

sfer1
02-28-2016, 08:16 AM
When the lightsaber is off, if a put my ear next to the speaker, I can hear a very soft static noise.

It disappears when I insert the kill plug in the recharge port.

I've build many lightsabers in the past. This is my first time with a NBv2 though.

Other than this, everything seems to work fine.

Silver Serpent
02-28-2016, 08:36 AM
Sounds like you have a short somewhere, allowing current to flow to the speaker. Does this happen when the electronics are outside the hilt? Or only when the saber is assembled?

sfer1
02-28-2016, 08:54 AM
I first noticed it when the lightsaber was already assembled. Doesn't mean it wasn't there before. I don't see how it could have happened though. Nothing on the board it bridged. Everything is heatshrinked and inside an electronics shield for 1.25" ID tubes. And I was very carefull when I assembled the lightsaber.

The only thing I can think of is I used 3M heavy duty double sided tape to tape the board to the electronics shield. Isn't it dielectric?

sfer1
02-28-2016, 09:57 AM

sfer1
02-28-2016, 10:29 AM
Update: It wasn't the tape. I removed the tape, but I can still hear the static noise.

The noise disappeared when I removed the MicroSD card, but reappered when I put it back in.

BTW, I just noticed that another one of my lightsabers (PC 1.5 board) does exactly the same noise when it's off. I seriously doubt I could have a short in that one too.

Both sabers have a Premium 28mm Speaker.

It's a very soft noise, similar to the one a cellphone charger does.

sfer1
02-28-2016, 10:48 AM
Update #2:

Remove kill plug -> booting sound -> I hear the static noise

Turn the lightsaber on -> turn it off -> Leave it off for a while (without the kill plug inserted) -> I don't hear the noise

My guess is this noise is normal when the board hasn't fully shut down.

FenixFire
02-28-2016, 10:12 PM
How susceptible are you to hearing the electrical hum of wall wort (cell style) chargers, or even some lights? There is a small percentage of the population (myself included) who are very oversensitive to the pitch of certain electrical hums...even ones most people can't even detect.

sfer1
02-29-2016, 12:35 PM
How susceptible are you to hearing the electrical hum of wall wort (cell style) chargers, or even some lights? There is a small percentage of the population (myself included) who are very oversensitive to the pitch of certain electrical hums...even ones most people can't even detect.
I distinctly hear the electrical hum of wall wart chargers, but I always assumed everyone did.

Silver Serpent
02-29-2016, 12:45 PM
Uhh, that's a negative. Wall chargers are dead silent for me. In my younger days I could occasionally hear fluorescent light fixtures, but they've all gone silent now.

You appear to have super-hearing. Enjoy it while it lasts, keep the volume on your headphones down, and avoid jobs that lead to hearing loss. :)