PDA

View Full Version : PC 3.5, FOC pads stopped working.

Turqy
02-22-2016, 12:26 AM
During the testing phase, a friend and I were able to get the FOC on PEX1 working just fine. Once we did the full build of the saber, we made a mistake and forgot to attach the resistor to the white LED and blew it out. :( We've since replaced the white LED and verified that it works just fine. The problem is that the PC no longer outputs any power to the FOC pads. PEx1 or PEx2. Perhaps the resistor mistake destroyed the Power Extenders as well? It seems odd that PEx 2 wouldn't work as we never had anything attached to that pad.

We've both verified that the PEx pads aren't putting out any power using a multimeter. I was able to detect 2.4v going to the PExs but nothing coming out of them.

So other than the board being screwed up, I was thinking our settings could be causing an issue as well.

Currently all of the color profiles are commented out in the override.cfg. The LEDs are set in the separate bank configs. For testing we have:

LED=0,700,700
FLED=0,700,700
focmix=001

So, with those settings, both FOC pads should be getting power and the main LEDs should be turned off at all times. I would expect to see the FOC LED turn on at some point but it never does.

Any ideas?

sgcdialler
02-22-2016, 02:02 PM
Can you post good pictures of your boards and wiring? And a wiring diagram may be useful as well.

Turqy
02-22-2016, 04:14 PM
Can you post good pictures of your boards and wiring? And a wiring diagram may be useful as well.

Sure!

Here's a diagram of its current state. I have the saber stripped down to just the basics to try to debug this issue. I'll post photos when I get home tonight.

NanoRex
02-22-2016, 05:05 PM
That schematic has a couple + and -s mixed up, but I highly doubt that's the problem.

Turqy
02-22-2016, 05:40 PM
That schematic has a couple + and -s mixed up, but I highly doubt that's the problem.

Whoops. Good catch. I didnt double check the diagram well enough. Those LED main wires should be switched in the drawing. They are properly setup on the board and work with no issues (thankfully).

Here are some photos of the board.

The wires that are shown in the photo, that aren't in the diagram, are no longer hooked up to anything so I could simplify things for testing. For the FOC pad i just skipped over the end pad and used the one nearer to the PEx. Thats because (as far as I can tell) the end pad serves no purpose other than to allow room for a SMD resistor. This setup worked previously until we blew out the LED. I tried using the bridge method just for kicks and the result was the same.

Turqy
02-22-2016, 08:16 PM

Durrrrrr... actually you were right in a way. I found the problem and it was that we were connecting the LEDs using a 4 pin connector and the two pins for the FOC Led were reversed. Sooooo yup. Pos & Neg reversed!

NanoRex
02-23-2016, 07:09 AM
Haha. Glad you got it sorted out!