PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Build ANH with original Graflex Body

Force0013
02-13-2016, 06:31 PM
I was able to pick up an original Graflex body from an estate sale. Would like to convert it with minimal change to the body. Tim suggested the Led Adapter in the store(which I am monitoring for its arrival). I would like to use the slide switch on the left side for the activation switch an the red button on top for the aux. button. Am curious if this is do able an if so is there a switch available in the store that would work for the slide switch? Would like to use the new CF V8 when available (already have my CEX). Is there a forum that gives more detail on the actual size of the Led Adapter? Will the heat sink V3 fit in this adapter? Would love to do a CC but will have about 5" less space on this build. I (with a lot of reading an trial an error ) was able to do color matching CC with blade an rice connectivity. I think adding the PLI in the hilt was poor planning on my part, I liked the look of it but 1.5" of space lost. Would be nice to have all the same features on the Graflex, but I hope to maintain it's authenticity. So may be more realistic to just use a NBV3 when available.

NanoRex
02-13-2016, 07:38 PM
It's going to be quite the cram to get all of that in there. I'm working on designing a Graflex with a full reveal, and it's been difficult to fit things in, but it's certainly doable.

The Graflex adapter sold in the store has its own heatsink. No need for an MHS one. Other than that, I can't really help you because I'm more familiar with the TGS graflex adapter. However there are plenty of posts on the FX-Sabers forum detailing how to convert Graflexes, since that's what the forum was originally made for.

girot
02-13-2016, 08:05 PM
I'm also working on a vintage graflex build and have had a heck of a time with the cram fu. So far no CC, but with a custom machined chassis I might be able to pull it off. Vintage or not the graflex is a relatively short hilt type. Really consider how many "features" you want to cram in there.

The TCSS blade socket is specifically designed to fit a vintage graflex. You shouldn't have any significant issues with it. It also comes with an integral V4 Heat Sink that threads right into it, so no need for a separate module.

The higher voltage duel-cell packs can be quite a bit shorter than the 3.7v 18650 single cell. That'll help a lot for making room for the CC. If you're going with the CEX I'm assuming you want the "any color of the rainbow" functionality? If you're careful you can simply use an RGB led for your CC. As long as you wire it right it'll change color right along with your blade. If you end up going with a single color (not using the CEX) you'll want to take advantage of the Crystal Pulse feature. In the event you do a fixed, but mixed, blade color you can still use an RGB led for your CC if you wire it correctly.

NanoRex
02-13-2016, 08:45 PM
If you end up going with a single color (not using the CEX) you'll want to take advantage of the Crystal Pulse feature. In the event you do a fixed, but mixed, blade color you can still use an RGB led for your CC if you wire it correctly.

Crystal Pulse will actually work fine when you have a colour-changing saber. Accent LEDs 5-8 will mirror the colour of colour channels 1-4 when the accent LED special accent modes are active.

girot
02-13-2016, 09:40 PM
Crystal Pulse will actually work fine when you have a colour-changing saber. Accent LEDs 5-8 will mirror the colour of colour channels 1-4 when the accent LED special accent modes are active.

What he said! :D

Force0013
03-28-2016, 11:20 AM
I'm also working on a vintage graflex build and have had a heck of a time with the cram fu. So far no CC, but with a custom machined chassis I might be able to pull it off. Vintage or not the graflex is a relatively short hilt type. Really consider how many "features" you want to cram in there.

The TCSS blade socket is specifically designed to fit a vintage graflex. You shouldn't have any significant issues with it. It also comes with an integral V4 Heat Sink that threads right into it, so no need for a separate module.

The higher voltage duel-cell packs can be quite a bit shorter than the 3.7v 18650 single cell. That'll help a lot for making room for the CC. If you're going with the CEX I'm assuming you want the "any color of the rainbow" functionality? If you're careful you can simply use an RGB led for your CC. As long as you wire it right it'll change color right along with your blade. If you end up going with a single color (not using the CEX) you'll want to take advantage of the Crystal Pulse feature. In the event you do a fixed, but mixed, blade color you can still use an RGB led for your CC if you wire it correctly.

Girot, I check the site almost daily did I possibly miss the LED Graglex Adapter becoming available on the TCSS site. It sounds like you already have one(or did you order yours a while back?). It will be difficult to start my conversion without this part.

girot
03-28-2016, 01:21 PM
Girot, I check the site almost daily did I possibly miss the LED Graglex Adapter becoming available on the TCSS site. It sounds like you already have one(or did you order yours a while back?). It will be difficult to start my conversion without this part.

The one I am currently using I acquired back in 2009, sorry. To be honest I freaking hate it and cannot wait for the TCSS version to restock.

Force0013
03-28-2016, 04:22 PM
Ok thanks, I am hoping when they do become available they will allow the 1" blades.

NanoRex
03-29-2016, 05:53 AM
Most, if not all, vintage/replica graflex adapters use a 1" blade, including the TCSS one. The 7/8 blades are used for the graflex 2.0 kit which is different.

Force0013
03-29-2016, 07:10 AM
Thanks, I can't wait to start this second build!!!