PDA

View Full Version : Best Film Type

jedimastergarcia87
02-11-2016, 11:43 PM
So what's better for a nice bright blade, single or double wrap? How many feet are in each types? Tried to put my own cellophane wrap in but the cut lines on the edges just aren't even enough for me x.x Small nit pick but yeah. If I'm ocd about anything its the blades itself. I'll be ordering completed TCSS blade film here soon so. Its just a thin wall blade at 34 inches so I don't really care which version of the film I get but would like to hear your thoughts. I don't have my own saber yet so yeah. Still starting out slowly like always. Heh

snilam
02-12-2016, 09:44 PM
I just use cello you find at the hobby store usually in the floral/gift basket section. I use about 8-10 ft depending on the length of the blade. Longer blade more wrap, shorter blade less wrap. Its really a personal preference. Some like a flare at the base while other want as even a blade as possible. I use my dining room table to contruct blades. Make sure to have as clean and dust free environment as possible. Any debris that get on your wrap will show on your blade. I like to simultaneously unroll the cello roll and roll onto the dowel to keep as little contaminants our as possible. I will roll wrap onto my dowel straight from the roll of cello one foot at a time and then correct any unevenness (you'll do more corrections in the beginning of the roll and less as you get things going). When I get enough wrap on there I will use the cracks on my dining room table, the ones that run across the table to remove or add section to the table to lengthen or shorten the table, and use a straight razor blade to cut off the cello. I put the cello over the crack with dowel on one side of the crack and the roll on the other and put the razor in the crack and run in across, perfectly straight line every time. then just put it in your blade. Some people glue them in place, I prefer not to as I will rewrap my blades after they may get some ripples from heavy dueling or debris falling in. It takes practice but after a while its pretty easy. I can do a wrap in a blade in about 5- 10 minutes now.

jedimastergarcia87
02-13-2016, 11:20 PM
No I mean the completed film from here. Never doing my own again x.x Like which option would be better, double or quad? Wanting a nice bright blade though so probably double or even single maybe?

snilam
02-14-2016, 09:37 AM
Oh sorry misunderstood your post. Ive never ordered a prewrapped blade before. I can only guess the quad would yield a more even blade while the double would be brighter with more base flare and dimmer tip. But I would not take my word for it since I haven't had first hand experience with the ready made blades from the store.

Jay-gon Jinn
02-14-2016, 01:25 PM
Oh sorry misunderstood your post. Ive never ordered a prewrapped blade before. I can only guess the quad would yield a more even blade while the double would be brighter with more base flare and dimmer tip. But I would not take my word for it since I haven't had first hand experience with the ready made blades from the store.This is actually pretty accurate. I've used both styles in the past myself. I prefer the polypropylene gift wrapping to either of them, though, or at the very least add it to the double wrap show blade.

jedimastergarcia87
02-15-2016, 06:22 PM
That's what it basically is anyway is a show blade but I'm using it for an US since I can't ever seem to do my own build but its cool, one of my favorite hilts from them anyway. Plus I never hit hard even with thick walled blades anyway so, I'm weird like that. But thanks for the info though =] Its at 34 inches though so the whole thing might still light up pretty good since the blade isn't that long. Figured it was okay to talk about them some since they are partnered now I guess in some way and since someone did that Dominix V2 mod and showed it on here and didn't get banned. Loved that blue they used on it too

jedimastergarcia87
02-16-2016, 11:16 AM
So when I go to order which will be today do I say how long the film needs to be or does it come long enough past the opened end of the blade so you can cut it to length of the blade? I'm just going double wrap since its a thin walled blade at 34 inches. I wont be able to post pics though since all I have for now are sabers from another company