PDA

View Full Version : Physical Weathering

darth_chasm
02-11-2016, 06:40 AM
Has anyone done or remember seeing any posts about physical weathering? Something more than just aesthetic with paints, patinas, etc. Not interested in "battle damage" but more so marring/pitting.

I was thinking maybe putting the piece in a bag with some nuts and screws and shaking it about for a bit might work. Obviously, protecting the threads and internal surfaces would be done.

Any other ideas or examples?

rlobrecht
02-11-2016, 07:04 AM
I remember reading about someone who washed whole pieces in etching chemicals which lead to random pitting all over. Your idea is an interesting one.

Tom Starkiller
02-11-2016, 07:35 AM
Burying it in a box full of dirt is another one you could do. Infact, combine that with the method in the first post may give you a good weather effect all around.

Noyl Wendor
02-11-2016, 08:03 AM
A box of copper BB's for an air rifle. Or two. protect your threads. put the mhs in a box pour the BB's in. Seal it up, shake.
Other wise there is a tut on salt water etching. You could use the same method perhaps for weathering a hilt.

Silver Serpent
02-11-2016, 08:12 AM
5 gallon bucket with tight fitting lid.
Handful or two of gravel.
Lightsaber.

Add the gravel and lightsaber to the bucket. Close the lid. Kick the bucket down a hill. Repeat as necessary. :)

darth_chasm
02-11-2016, 08:17 AM
Burying it in a box full of dirt is another one you could do. Infact, combine that with the method in the first post may give you a good weather effect all around.

Closest dirt to me is Central Park, soooo yeah :D I bet it would do some interesting things though.

I remember reading about someone who washed whole pieces in etching chemicals which lead to random pitting all over. Your idea is an interesting one.

A box of copper BB's for an air rifle. Or two. protect your threads. put the mhs in a box pour the BB's in. Seal it up, shake.
Other wise there is a tut on salt water etching. You could use the same method perhaps for weathering a hilt.

The etching did come to mind. I was thinking that marring the resist first then submerging could do some cool things. Then maybe do another quick dip with everything exposed (minus threads/insides of course). Kind of like a layering of depths.

The BB's are interesting too.

Keep em coming folks. I think I may have to buy a sacrificial piece to play with.

darth_chasm
02-11-2016, 08:22 AM
5 gallon bucket with tight fitting lid.
Handful or two of gravel.
Lightsaber.

Add the gravel and lightsaber to the bucket. Close the lid. Kick the bucket down a hill. Repeat as necessary. :)

Thats two for dirt. I may have to take a trip to my brothers...I'm interested to see what the results would be.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but in TFA the Graflex had some subtle dust and dirt in the crevices. I thought it was a beautiful little touch and appreciated the attention to detail.

FenixFire
02-11-2016, 08:26 AM
Closest dirt to me is Central Park, soooo yeah :D I bet it would do some interesting things though.

That just made me cry a little. Everyone needs dirt and trees to play in, and acres to explore!

darth_chasm
02-11-2016, 08:53 AM
That just made me cry a little. Everyone needs dirt and trees to play in, and acres to explore!

Agreed! Been here 7 years and I'm thinking its time for some change. Mostly because I want a yard and a garage. Making saber on the floor and coffee table is not fun and kinda hurts haha.

sks1138
02-11-2016, 11:47 AM
The etching did come to mind. I was thinking that marring the resist first then submerging could do some cool things. Then maybe do another quick dip with everything exposed (minus threads/insides of course). Kind of like a layering of depths.

I did that on a piece on my current build. I etched my design, then covered the piece fully with vinyl, then scraped the vinyl on some bricks and concrete, then another etching. It turned out rather well.

Greenie
02-11-2016, 02:26 PM
Agreed! Been here 7 years and I'm thinking its time for some change. Mostly because I want a yard and a garage. Making saber on the floor and coffee table is not fun and kinda hurts haha.

Doesn't seem to impair your work! ;)

darth_chasm
02-11-2016, 04:42 PM
I did that on a piece on my current build. I etched my design, then covered the piece fully with vinyl, then scraped the vinyl on some bricks and concrete, then another etching. It turned out rather well.

Willing to share a pic?

Doesn't seem to impair your work! ;)

Too kind sir.

CET
02-11-2016, 05:31 PM
Nail or BB gun target practice! :D

Darkmatter73
02-11-2016, 06:38 PM
BB's or nuts + gallon can + paint shaker.

sks1138
02-11-2016, 06:47 PM
Willing to share a pic?

Here's that piece before it's date with the dremel. It was a left over piece from a Graflex-ish control box that Tim used to sell.

darth_chasm
02-11-2016, 07:21 PM
Here's that piece before it's date with the dremel. It was a left over piece from a Graflex-ish control box that Tim used to sell.

Thats what I'm talking about. Thanks for sharing. I think this combined with the other ideas may give me exactly what I'm looking for.

I like the pattern by the way. I may have to steal that idea but with a honeycomb pattern. ;)

sks1138
02-11-2016, 07:41 PM
Thats what I'm talking about. Thanks for sharing. I think this combined with the other ideas may give me exactly what I'm looking for.

I like the pattern by the way. I may have to steal that idea but with a honeycomb pattern. ;)

Glad I could help.

Working at a commercial printer I have access to vinyl. I used perforated window vinyl for that. A honeycomb pattern would be cool.

Darth Vislir
02-11-2016, 07:55 PM
Google pitting texture. Take a negative, print it on transfer paper and just do normal etching technique either with acid or current method. Once complete you can leave it as is, or submerge the entire thing in etching solution to give you a overall patina look. Take some steel wool to it and walla. If you are in an apartment I would not use the acid method.

BartElroy
02-13-2016, 02:06 AM
I'm actually planning on building an oversized rock tumbler for physical weathering at some point down the road. I figure 4 servos, some RC car tires. a 5 gallon bucket for a barrel, an arduino for a controller, and a pound of machine screws for a medium.

grumblehound
02-14-2016, 05:07 AM
wet sea salt crystals placed on bare alloy leave for a few days in a damp room or damp down now and again with a water spray bottle
should leave small pits in the alloy . if you do this before spray painting remove the salt crystals after you can get some quite serious looking pitting