PDA

View Full Version : Another NB 3 Schematic Check

ltsmash1200
02-07-2016, 03:40 PM
Hi everybody,

I've read through a bunch of posts, looked over tons of schematics, and I've ordered my parts to do my first saber build. I'm pretty sure I have this right. I just wanted to double check my schematic before I go any further and break something. I'll be using a Green/Green/White Cree Tri-XP-E2 with three 1 ohm 2 watt resistors.

Thanks!

Generic Jedi
02-07-2016, 06:27 PM
Welcome to the forums! Your diagram looks correct.

Silver Serpent
02-07-2016, 07:53 PM
Yep. You even know enough to draw the diagram with proper electronic symbols. I'd say you've got a good handle on things. If you have any soldering experience at all, you shouldn't run into any trouble.

Do remember to remove the SD card from the board before you start soldering. It's really easy to cook those accidentally.

ltsmash1200
02-07-2016, 09:27 PM
Yep. You even know enough to draw the diagram with proper electronic symbols. I'd say you've got a good handle on things. If you have any soldering experience at all, you shouldn't run into any trouble.

Do remember to remove the SD card from the board before you start soldering. It's really easy to cook those accidentally.

Thanks. Yeah, I've done wiring in guitars, but this will be my first time doing anything with a PCB or stuff that's this small. I think I'm just a little overly paranoid, haha.

CET
02-07-2016, 11:35 PM
You have 3 resistors with the same values, any reason you couldn't just use a single resistor for all of the LEDs?

Silver Serpent
02-08-2016, 05:46 AM
That's a practice we try to discourage for beginners. One resistor per LED. It's cheap insurance for the expensive LEDs we use.

rlobrecht
02-08-2016, 06:58 AM
I think I'm just a little overly paranoid, haha.

Being cautious is the best way to avoid destroying expensive electronics.

ltsmash1200
02-22-2016, 06:16 PM
...aaaaand I fried my board. I've looked at that schematic a billion times. I've gone over the instructions a billion times. And I wired the positive and negative backwards. I guess I just got TOO focused on what I was doing and got ahead of myself. Then I got too excited and didn't double check my wiring like I KNOW I should have.

I know this isn't THAT big a deal because I can just send it over to Zook to get it fixed. It's just frustrating because I KNOW not to do that. I KNOW I should double check my wiring. I KNOW the schematic like the back of my hand. And I just had a brain fart. As soon as it happened I looked at the board and I was like, "you have to be kidding me. How did I do that?!" This is the exact reason I stopped building model airplanes. I get too excited to see the final product, try to go too quickly, and end up with a model that doesn't quite look like the box, haha.

Once I switched the wires, everything else worked fine, so at least there's that.

darth_chasm
02-22-2016, 06:21 PM
That stinks

ltsmash1200
02-22-2016, 06:31 PM
That stinks

Yeah, I almost wish it didn't work at all and then at least I could blame it on inexperience working with these types of things or my soldering skills not being good enough for something this small. This is just really annoying because it was a totally preventable bonehead mistake that had I double checked, I would have seen and fixed.

On the plus side, I'll never make THAT mistake again...

darth_chasm
02-22-2016, 06:32 PM
It happens. Don't beat yourself up too much.

Darkmatter73
02-22-2016, 09:34 PM
Last year I had ordered a VV saber, and was really worried it wouldn't show up before Comic con. It showed up the day before we left and I was sooo excited. Got to the Con and fried my Crystal Shard that first day by putting in a battery backwards.
I know better but was excited and not thinking. I had a backup saber with me, but was super bummed anyway.
We all do ditzy things :)
On a side note, no human has ever been more careful installing batteries than myself since then.
-Darkmatter73

rlobrecht
02-23-2016, 06:54 AM
Bummer.

atomsk
02-27-2016, 11:36 AM
Hi my name is atomsk, welcome to the polarity reversal support group. I used to work at HP for a long time, basically soldering electronics for a living.. and i still reversed battery polarity on both of my first two crystal focus boards.. and this was back when we had to ship them to france for erv to repair.. sigh, i knew what i was doing, was just being careless or tired.. anyway, dont feel too bad. u betta believe i triple check that every damn time now haha.

Silver Serpent
02-28-2016, 08:50 AM
Ask me why I ALWAYS wire my batteries with one-way JST connectors. It saves me from my own mistakes, and from a helpful spouse who may not check polarity as closely as she should ;)

ltsmash1200
02-29-2016, 03:42 PM
IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all of the support guys. I got a new board, wired it up (the right way) and she works like a champ. Now I just need to get the other board fixed so I can put it into my Roman Graflex when it comes.

Nirraven
03-01-2016, 04:13 AM
Congratulations :)

Thanks for the great NBv3 wiring diagramm, now i didn't need to draw my own xD

ltsmash1200
03-12-2016, 09:03 AM
Congratulations :)

Thanks for the great NBv3 wiring diagramm, now i didn't need to draw my own xD

Awesome! Glad I could be of some assistance!