PDA

View Full Version : Drilling another hole

bunger
02-06-2016, 05:44 PM
I have already order the hilt essentials for my first build, but haven't yet ordered the electronics as I was waiting for Pico Crumble.

The order has already shipped and the main body has a single, recessed hole for a momentary switch.

Due to a few different reasons, I may change from the Crumble to a Prizm. But the big issue is that the Prizm will use a second switch and I don't have a hole for that.

Is it easy to drill another hole or is there possibly other options I am missing?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
02-06-2016, 05:51 PM
It all depends on the tools (and the skill) you have handy.

CET
02-06-2016, 05:54 PM
IMHO, drilling aluminum is pretty easy. You just need a good bit.

darth_chasm
02-06-2016, 06:19 PM
It's pretty easy if you take your time. A center punch is good to have on hand as well as a vise. Center bits help a lot in creating pilot holes. Then just step up your bit gradually till you have the size hole you want.

NanoRex
02-06-2016, 06:20 PM
If you don't want to drill a countersunk (recessed) hole for another AV switch, you could consider using a tactile switch which will require a smaller hole with no countersink.

CET
02-06-2016, 06:41 PM
It's pretty easy if you take your time. A center punch is good to have on hand as well as a vise. Center bits help a lot in creating pilot holes. Then just step up your bit gradually till you have the size hole you want.

I don't have a center punch, but I do have a hammer and a nail.

darth_chasm
02-06-2016, 07:20 PM
I don't have a center punch, but I do have a hammer and a nail.

Those work too! :D

girot
02-07-2016, 02:18 PM
yeah, a punch is going to be a necessity. I've learned that lesson the hard way on a vintage graflex. :(

pillbot
02-07-2016, 05:17 PM
Drilling and tapping holes is stupidly easy and really quite enjoyable.

As CET said; a hammer and nail will do you well.

I enjoy tapping my own threads. It is really simple and weirdly meditative, and at the end you have something solid that you have done yourself. Just take things carefully.

Plan ahead. Lay down painter's tape and measure the proper location for the hole. Sit on it for a bit (well...not literally...). Look over it many times. Be sure that all is well. Commit to your decision and carefully bash a nice, small starting point with that hammer and nail. Drill confidently and tap slowly and carefully. Torque is more important than horsepower.

Keep the thread clean and you should have a good, clean threaded hole.

bunger
02-07-2016, 07:28 PM
I don't have a drill press, so I would be attempting to tackle it with a hand held drill....

Silver Serpent
02-07-2016, 07:50 PM
You will want a vise to hold your parts before you start drilling. Either get one with rubber jaws, or use an old rag, t-shirt, painters tape, etc. to keep the jaws from marring your part.