PDA

View Full Version : How to make an awsome purple?

vortextwist
01-14-2007, 09:13 AM
What combinatioins would you use on an Mace conversion? I found a cheap mace and want to order the conversion but what led and filters do I use to get he most out of it. Most likely tims 34 inch blade.

01-14-2007, 10:11 AM
how about royal blue with a red or pink filter?

vortextwist
01-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Ya I wasn't sure of which combination to use. was blue or royal blue with a red filter?

LordArgyll
01-14-2007, 10:27 AM
White with a purple or violet filter would be better. You will sacrifice brightness by filtering an already colored light because they aren't emitting the full spectrum of light.

Remember that a filter does just that -- it filters the light and thus reduces the intensity. Remember what a filter does -- it retains "stuff" (usually larger particles in the case of matter) while allowing other "stuff" to pass.

So if the LED is already only emitting 80% of the spectrum, filtering it another 20% is just going to make it dimmer.

vortextwist
01-14-2007, 10:35 AM
ya I do remember that the filters will reduce the brightness. This is why I am asking. I would like to get the most out of the LED. I also seen some where somebody used a K2 led in their mace conversion. How difficult would it be.

Lord Maul
01-14-2007, 10:42 AM
ask do clo for the relay wiring diagram for the k2 relay.

vortextwist
01-14-2007, 10:43 AM
I seen that he use a k2 to get purple but I don't think he used a stock mr board

xwingband
01-14-2007, 10:48 AM
He resistored it. Easy enough...

If you want the most though the white K2 and relay for the mace is the best.

Trying to filter a color will get you nowhere. It looks even worse than the white filtered. That technique only work occasionally when you want to change the shade to a similar one.

Do-Clo
01-14-2007, 11:22 AM
A three watt luxeon white led with a purple filter will give you a nice looking blade and you can wire it direct to the MR sound board. The MR sound board puts out 930 ma which is close to the 1000 ma rating of the white 3 watt.

vortextwist
01-14-2007, 11:22 AM
ok where would the resistor go and what size for the white k2? thanks
guys.

edit: duh ok 3 watt white with purple filter?

SilentBob501
01-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Heres the scoop, Ive done both a 3w white with a filter and a white K2 with the same filter. The K2 is the way to go to get the brightest purple. I run the setup off of the stock MR board. However, for the K2 to get to full brightness I used a relay to fully drive the LED. Doing it this way produces a much more satisfying purple blade.
Heres some pictures.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m117/semmerman/relay-2.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m117/semmerman/mace1.jpg

vortextwist
01-14-2007, 12:07 PM
you didn't happen to take any pics when you were doin this did ya? "crosses fingers" just wandering placement for relay. I went throught the conversion tutorial and there isn't much room.

edit: oh and where did ya get the relay?

SilentBob501
01-14-2007, 12:37 PM
This is where I got the relay.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/RLY-470/search/5VDC_SPDT_MINIATURE_RELAY_.html

I dont have a picture of the placement, Madcow might. It fits in really nice though. If you unscrew the board from the inside of the hilt, there should be enough room either next to or underneath it to slip the relay into.

(Edit) In fact Madcow, did have a pic. (I borrowed it from his website)

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m117/semmerman/position.jpg
He used a slightly bigger relay, I didnt have any problems fitting it in, nor did I have to cut a notch for it.

vortextwist
01-14-2007, 12:58 PM
sweet thanks. I wish tim would carry these. "waives hand" Stock relays Tim.

edit: can you use this same relay for all the mr boards?

xwingband
01-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Actually me and a few others have found that there is something slightly different with the Mace board. I tried it on an Ani and it flutters like a strobe. Same with the Luke... it's really odd.

vortextwist
01-14-2007, 01:13 PM
hmm. ok cool. i was ordering the relay and it is only like 2 bucks for the relay and 7 for shipping so I was gonna get a couple for some other conversions but oh well.

Madcow
01-15-2007, 11:17 AM
Yo lads,
I'm back!
I just moved to Edmonton Alberta Canada (basically Hoth).

Anyways, here's my stuff on the mace K2 conversion. I've been really happy with it.
http://www.freewebs.com/genesis_sabers/Mace%20conversion%202.JPG

the wiring pics and stuff are halfway down on this page:
http://www.freewebs.com/genesis_sabers/whatsnew.htm

PM me if you need help.

It's good to be back
MC

Do-Clo
01-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Welcome back MC 8)

Ryma Mara
01-15-2007, 12:03 PM
welcome back mc.

Ya know I wander what it would take for luxeon to make a purple led?

xwingband
01-15-2007, 12:11 PM
welcome back mc.

Ya know I wander what it would take for luxeon to make a purple led?

Short answer: MAGIC

james3
01-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Welcome back MC hope the move went well.

I like my 3w mace with the filters just fine. But my 5w white with the filter kicks the 3w and the k2's butt up one side and down the other. If I do another mace I will gut it and redo the whole thing to get the sound and a 5w in there.

Ryma Mara
01-15-2007, 12:12 PM
yeah.....I wish magic was real.

vortextwist
01-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Yo lads,
I'm back!

where did you move from? I had an old drummer that was from alberta, Not that you would have known him but hey.

ya once I get the mace and all the stuff If I need help I will pm ya.

Jedi Ranger
01-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Yo lads,
I'm back!
It's good to be back
MC

Welcome home!! (to Alberta!!!!!)

virus692
01-15-2007, 05:45 PM
can I get the info on the relay?

I am Blind And Shamed
|
\/

vortextwist
01-15-2007, 07:16 PM
this is what I was givin on the first page.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/RLY-470/search/5VDC_SPDT_MINIATURE_RELAY_.html

ti-el_terall
01-15-2007, 09:17 PM
Yo lads,
I'm back!

Anyways, here's my stuff on the mace K2 conversion. I've been really happy with it.
http://www.freewebs.com/genesis_sabers/Mace%20conversion%202.JPG

the wiring pics and stuff are halfway down on this page:
http://www.freewebs.com/genesis_sabers/whatsnew.htm

PM me if you need help.

It's good to be back
MC

Welcome back Madcow! I was actually born in Cold Lake alberta, its about and hour away from Edmonton.
Just a quick question, can you wire a MR so that you have the relay and still have a removable battery pack?

Enolmano
01-16-2007, 09:03 AM
Well, we all now that Do-Clo was trying UV leds. I liked that idea and did some more search abaout it. this is what I came up with:

http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3102542

Here's another one that is too big, but nice:

http://www.goldengadgets.com/product_info.php?pName=32-uv-led-retrofit-bulb-for-your-maglite&cName=uv

vortextwist
01-16-2007, 01:40 PM
ti-el_terall if you go to his site he shows you how to wire it up and the placement.

Madcow
01-16-2007, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the warm reunion guys!

Ti-el, the conversion allows you to use the original battery pack just like normal.
James - A good wiring diagram for a 5w conversion - that keeps the sound, would be SOLID GOLD!

MC

xwingband
01-16-2007, 08:07 PM
With a Mace or the Luke... a 5W would be possible.

I was thinking of this once to take all of the 5 pins on it and then some. Follow me here... four of the five pins would be TWO seperate power supplies. One is the 4.5V and the other 11.1V of li-ions.

We could take apart the battery pack and find get rid of MR's paralleled junk, making that possible.

Then the last "pin" put a mono pack for the sound. Viola! You have power enough for a 5W and still only 4.5V to the sound. If you're good with the modding no "gut" would be needed. :D

Lord Maul
01-16-2007, 08:11 PM
dang, that thing would be BRIGHT :D :shock:
it would take a ton of work though :(

xwingband
01-16-2007, 08:32 PM
well... I never said it'd be easy. If you gut it then it'd be easier.

ti-el_terall
01-16-2007, 08:59 PM
So you could do this with a MR Vader right? Just following the wiring for the Mace?

xwingband
01-16-2007, 09:39 PM
So you could do this with a MR Vader right? Just following the wiring for the Mace?

Do what?

A vader can only do a 3W. That nasty chatter is there on a relay... so k2 no go, and it can't power a 5W.

ti-el_terall
01-16-2007, 10:48 PM
Do what?

A vader can only do a 3W. That nasty chatter is there on a relay... so k2 no go, and it can't power a 5W.

So the only sabers that can power a 5w are Luke and mace? What about the Obi and maul, is it worth a shot?

xwingband
01-17-2007, 05:39 AM
The Luke and Mace can't power the 5W either... the 6AA pack is just offers an option to bypass the board.

james3
01-17-2007, 10:33 AM
The number one thing is that all the MR stuff can go 5w if you want it that way. The key is to get rid of the crap you don't need. There is an insane amount of room in these hilts.

The easiest way to do it is to gut the puppy and stuff it with the goodies that you want in there. One trick I did was cut the "pretty" end of the speaker/battery pack off so that it will be the last piece in on stuff like Ani and Vader. Mace is better cause you can do what ever you want.

Xwing is kinda on track with doing the Mace/Luke 5w setup. Always remember guys that the sound board just doesn't like to go to muck past 6 volts.

xwingband
01-17-2007, 02:58 PM
The reflection might be what's helping it there because a filter is a filter... it doesn't matter much whether it's over the LED or on the blade.

vortextwist
01-26-2007, 03:30 PM
which lee filter do you guys recomend for purple with the white k2? Oh and thanks to everyone that helped me get the stuff I needed, silentbob, Madcow, X-wing, you all know who you are.

edit: oh, Again why can't we put the same setup in the luke, ani, obi hilts? Please explain.

supertrogdor
01-26-2007, 03:46 PM
the rose purple is a popular choice, but look through the swatch book and see what looks best to you before you make any kind of final choice

xwingband
01-26-2007, 03:56 PM
oh, Again why can't we put the same setup in the luke, ani, obi hilts? Please explain.

It flickers like it's having an epileptic fit. Acts just like a strobe. It has something to do with the Mace. I've done it with the Anakin/Vader/Obi and someone else tried the Luke with the same result. Massive bummer.

I feel like it has something to do with voltage as it was worse with fresh batteries, but I'm not inclined enough yet to retry it.

Also, I like lavender purple.

vortextwist
01-26-2007, 04:37 PM
cool thanks X. I wander is it the type of relay?

fawnheart2000
02-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Just checking but is there a resister from the relay out puts to the led and if so what is the wattage rating and resistance of it? I only ask because it doesn't look like there is one in Madcow's pictures.

vortextwist
02-02-2007, 01:40 PM
I don't know if there is one or not. I didn't put one in,

xwingband
02-02-2007, 01:45 PM
There isn't one. 4.5V and the little bit more that a it is when fully charged is within the range that's acceptable for them. You could put a minimal one, 1ohm or lower.

Madcow
02-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Yup,
Resistors use up a little of your wattage, but they allow you to safely run a LED at it's optimum voltage.
So If your voltage range is already within the max spec. of the LED - I don't use a relay.

MC

djbordie
04-10-2007, 11:30 AM
ok so what about the lee filter? i got my multipack from them, how do you guys mount a piece of the filter? where? what about the head from the led?

Jonitus
04-10-2007, 12:48 PM
I usually take a quarter and trace around the filter, cut it out, and mount it on top of the optics so it is sandwiched in between the optics and the holder. I suppose you could cut it out and just put it in the hole for the blade and then set your blade on top of it, but whatever.

djbordie
04-10-2007, 02:09 PM
ohh ok, i thought you guys had some grand process for this aswell lol...
sweeeet, well if ultras blade would arrive ffs i would have the parts to start my mr mace conversion.

darthdan
04-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Ok, so for the atlas or the p4's which wow, could be run off an MR board and be bright as all get out, here's what I'm thinking.(Real tired so not scanning thru all previous posts. If it's been asked BBQ me. It's too dang cold around here anyways.)

Could you order a sheet of Lee filter the size of a normal sheet of blade film and lightly scratch it like with the mylar? Or could you do like a single wrap of corbin's film a wrap of lee purple in the middle and a single wrap of mylar on the outside to make it all pretty and shiny?

If it's feasible let me know and I will try it, just don't have the cash to experiment on something with no chance of working. I just want a bright ass purple saber...

Lord Maul
04-12-2007, 10:16 PM
you would lose a ton of brightness due to all the filtering, but if you use a atlas, it could work.

ryma already suggested this, so that means http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_flamedude.gif :twisted: :twisted:

darthdan
04-13-2007, 01:57 AM
Ahh, the warmth... its cold at night in nebraska...

Marsupial
04-13-2007, 08:05 AM

hey... its snowing out here.

vortextwist
04-13-2007, 01:43 PM
where at in nebraska, I live in Fremont.

Ryma Mara
04-13-2007, 04:48 PM
well click on the location bit and it will show you. it says that you live in lincoln, is that right darth dan?

vortextwist
04-13-2007, 05:05 PM
no it don't it just points to ne

Ryma Mara
04-13-2007, 05:06 PM
well fix yor pc cause it drew a line for me.

vortextwist
04-13-2007, 05:13 PM
yea it drew a line, but only to an area not a town name :roll:

Lord Maul
04-13-2007, 05:14 PM
vortex, you need to set your coordinates for it to work. when your location thing is blue, it means that your location is set and you can have ti tell the distance between you and others :wink:

vortextwist
04-13-2007, 05:15 PM
I tried that once and didn't seem to work, will try again

elrond.406
04-13-2007, 06:12 PM
where at in nebraska, I live in Fremont.

I'm next to Fremont...in CA! 8)

darthdan
04-13-2007, 09:43 PM
Yeah, Lincoln. So etching a lee filter...yea or nay?

vortextwist
04-14-2007, 07:56 AM
i think that would just block more light.

djbordie
04-18-2007, 05:06 AM
soooo, i was talkin to ultra and he said that the process here witha k2 is dimmer than just using a luxIII???? with a factory MR Mace board, because it only gives off 950mah and the k2 needs 1500? sooooo....someone please clarify the best way to make purple with a white LED and a lee filter.

or does all this get thrown out when you use a relay and a k2?
i received me mace so its time to thrown down, and might i say the stock blade looks like ass, its not even purple

Ryma Mara
04-18-2007, 11:39 AM
Ok a K3 wired up like with a 3W as normal on an mr board will still beat a 3W on an mr board

even if they are being underpowered.

But theres also the relay route but some work with a switch and altering a bettery pack. I dont know very much about it, still trying to understand it but to me the relay is a crappy way to do it cause from what I have seen it dosent work for very long.

djbordie
04-19-2007, 05:18 AM
i see, well i havent seen anything on battery pack, just the tutorial in this forum and on http://www.freewebs.com/genesis_sabers/whatsnew.htm

so, ill do some testing asap.