PDA

View Full Version : Reed switch

Shadow
01-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Hi all,
I remember reading somewhere that you may be able to use a Reed switch within the saber..?

As my knowledge of anything electrical is almost ZERO, would you be able to use one of these in conjunction with a magnet as an activator switch? or am i way off? :?

james3
01-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Nope you are not off at all. One of the most common reed switches around right now is a door/window switch for an alarm system. The trick is you would want a switch that is closed when the magnet is near it. In the alarm world iit would be called normally open. I will spare everyone with the normally open/ normally closed thing and just say that make sure you get a reed switch that is closed on activation.

Shadow
01-14-2007, 03:05 PM
James,
Would i be able to just replace the on/off switch with one of these things? Or would i have to wire it somewhere else?

james3
01-15-2007, 12:09 PM
It would work the same as any other switch from a wiring standpoint. A guy I used to work with ran the idea past me to do a Maul pretty much the way you are talking and after we banged around some ideas he used a reed switch in place of the slide switch and uses a magnet that is set in his glove so that he can mimic the scene of Maul lighting up the staff.

Shadow
01-15-2007, 12:16 PM
James,

You're the GREATEST 8)

Many thanks