PDA

View Full Version : Bleed through current to LED?

Tiberius172
01-11-2007, 11:46 AM
Guys, Looking for ideas a about a strange problem I noticed last night with my LED conversion of a MR, Vader saber.

I had been in my work shop working on another Saber when I happened to notice a very faint red glow in my Vader Saber I converted back several months ago. It was sitting on a shelf facing me with the blade removed and at first I just thought the glow was just a reflection from my shop light. ...Stopped. ...Turned Shop light off. ...It was actually glowing!

Very Cool but spooky. Anyway, situation is I can remove battery pack from saber, reinsert and it really glows pretty noticably until I power the saber on. Then when I shut off it goes back to a very faint glow.

Question...Has anyone run across this before? My conversion Kit was from Tim and I'm resonably sure all internal wiring connections were properly secured and soldered. Can it continue to draw current through the resistor and switch in off position :?:

Thanks for any help!
Tiberius

supertrogdor
01-11-2007, 01:36 PM
the only thing that makes sense there is that your switch is not completely shutting off. I would put the switch on a multimeter and test it in both the on and off positions to see if any current is getting through. Most likely it is making a very small amount of contact and letting through some juice from your power supply

Dregan
01-11-2007, 02:49 PM
either that or you have one of the red led's that short through the PCB.

Firebird21
01-11-2007, 02:54 PM
I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem, but it's not uncommon to have the red LEDs create a short through its aluminum base.

So theoretically, you may have current passing through your heatsynk from somewhere into your LED causing it to light.

I had a red LED that I could light up by touching the back side with my finger, holding one side of the circuit, with the other side attached to the LED.
I thought I was crazy, but I think it was Corbin that confirmed that he's seen this with the Red ones too.

elrond.406
01-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Guys, Looking for ideas a about a strange problem I noticed last night with my LED conversion of a MR, Vader saber.

I had been in my work shop working on another Saber when I happened to notice a very faint red glow in my Vader Saber I converted back several months ago. It was sitting on a shelf facing me with the blade removed and at first I just thought the glow was just a reflection from my shop light. ...Stopped. ...Turned Shop light off. ...It was actually glowing!

Very Cool but spooky. Anyway, situation is I can remove battery pack from saber, reinsert and it really glows pretty noticably until I power the saber on. Then when I shut off it goes back to a very faint glow.

Question...Has anyone run across this before? My conversion Kit was from Tim and I'm resonably sure all internal wiring connections were properly secured and soldered. Can it continue to draw current through the resistor and switch in off position :?:

Thanks for any help!
Tiberius

That is cool 8)

Jedi-Loreen
01-11-2007, 07:12 PM
No, it's not. http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/confused0091.gif

Do-Clo
01-11-2007, 08:23 PM

Thanks for any help!
Tiberius

The first thing is to double check your wiring and if the wiring is right then the problem is in your MR sound board, you have a bad componet that is causing a small current flow through the led

Tiberius172
01-12-2007, 06:21 AM
Thanks all.

Like I said it's actually very cool to see your saber hilt softly glowing. I've had the same batterries in for quite some time so power consumption must be very low. Unless things get worse I'm probably going to leave alone and just enjoy my evil glow.

Does this mean the Dark Side is calling to me? Hmmmmm????????

:twisted: