PDA

View Full Version : Led stays on!

don_gt69
01-16-2016, 11:40 AM
so I'm new to the forum so sorry if i don't have proper forum skill set. but I'm not new to wiring or soldering at all its actually part of my everyday job..So my problem I'm having is with my saber is when i press the switch to retract the blade the led only dims and doesn't shut off completely. everything else works and functions great! I followed the custom saber shops build tutorial and you tube to exact details i even watch part one and part 2 3 times before i started and i was building along with it. used all the same parts as well.. ( this is the videos i followed) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOpUSCsXXhk (and this one) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sApB7J5JdZ4. and here is a quick video i just uploaded to you tube to show everyone what its doing.. hopefully i can get this resolved. thank you every one for you suport on this and cant wait till i get to use my saber!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEjJG97WLHk

update: if i take the battery out for about an hour then put it back in it wont do that right away but after about 30 sec the lights will not shut off. im so lost on why its doing this. im going to get a new/different battery and see if that fixes my issue.

http://s1104.photobucket.com/user/don_gt691/slideshow/

Silver Serpent
01-17-2016, 09:01 AM
Looks like you have a short somewhere. We'd need some good shots of your wiring and solder joints. Something is allowing power to go around the board.

Count Malik
01-17-2016, 10:14 AM
Yep, Check everything first. Especially if you're pack is custom made- sometimes there might be a unwanted connection there- learned that the hard way myself!

FenixFire
01-18-2016, 10:02 AM
What are you using for the soundcard? Sorry if I missed it in the description or video. I had a similar issue when I was finishing up my sons Ezra inspired build using a soundboard out of an ezra toy. My issue was I mounted the transistors for the leds to a heatsink...not realizing that they bleed a little bit of current through the heatsinks. Once I removed them from the heatsink and put each in its own heat shrink sleeve the blade would fully shut off, and the FoC would work.

edit: Sorry I saw the NB in the video the 2nd time though.

don_gt69
01-18-2016, 10:20 AM
thats what im thinking as well. i have a crap camera. ill try and get photos up soon . but is there a amp limit to the nb sound board. cuz on first power up everyhting seems to work fine then about 1 min into use the light will not go out. .. im going to keep looking it over and over again., and if i can get photos i will. most my solder joints are heat sink though. thank you for the reply hopefully i can figure this out.

don_gt69
01-18-2016, 10:21 AM
Yep, Check everything first. Especially if you're pack is custom made- sometimes there might be a unwanted connection there- learned that the hard way myself! what was your issue you were having? and i might just have to spend a day and try and re wire everything,.

don_gt69
01-18-2016, 10:23 AM
What are you using for the soundcard? Sorry if I missed it in the description or video. I had a similar issue when I was finishing up my sons Ezra inspired build using a soundboard out of an ezra toy. My issue was I mounted the transistors for the leds to a heatsink...not realizing that they bleed a little bit of current through the heatsinks. Once I removed them from the heatsink and put each in its own heat shrink sleeve the blade would fully shut off, and the FoC would work.

edit: Sorry I saw the NB in the video the 2nd time though.

yeah the nb v2. yeah something has to be leaking somewere. .... hmmmmmmmmmm....

don_gt69
01-18-2016, 02:23 PM
Do you guys think it could be the battery? What's the max amperage the nbv2 is rated at?

Cire Yeldarb
01-19-2016, 02:14 PM
NB has a 5V limit from the battery.

And I believe if the LEDs are trying to draw more that 2A through the NB there will be problems as well.

don_gt69
01-19-2016, 02:29 PM
NB has a 5V limit from the battery.

And I believe if the LEDs are trying to draw more that 2A through the NB there will be problems as well.

i know of the voltage limit. its running a single 18650 got the trussfires from there site on the way. i was wondering if it had an amp limit to the chip.
also im using the rebel star royal blue led with a 3-5watt 1.5 ohm resistor. and the veriable resistor they sujest for the switch lighting. im hoping that the issue is with the batteries if not im going to tear everyhting bown and start from the beggining. i just really hope its not a bad chip.

thank you for the reply.

Count Malik
01-22-2016, 04:40 PM
what was your issue you were having? and i might just have to spend a day and try and re wire everything,.

Sorry for the late reply- But I was having the same exact issues and symptoms you're currently experiencing. Everything worked fine and was wired up correctly and quite well- I rewired the boards, tried different boards, ports and switches even too lol! The last thing i tried was new batteries- not only did that fix my problem- I went through my original battery pack I made to see if anything was loose, touching or didn't look right etc... there were a couple of spots on the joints that ended up being slightly weak and were touching through the hot glue. I went through the work again and retested my original battery after everything and it worked like a charm with no more symptoms of my LED staying on! (thank god lol)

Lesson learned- always always check the batteries first! haha :D

don_gt69
01-22-2016, 09:16 PM
Sorry for the late reply- But I was having the same exact issues and symptoms you're currently experiencing. Everything worked fine and was wired up correctly and quite well- I rewired the boards, tried different boards, ports and switches even too lol! The last thing i tried was new batteries- not only did that fix my problem- I went through my original battery pack I made to see if anything was loose, touching or didn't look right etc... there were a couple of spots on the joints that ended up being slightly weak and were touching through the hot glue. I went through the work again and retested my original battery after everything and it worked like a charm with no more symptoms of my LED staying on! (thank god lol)

Lesson learned- always always check the batteries first! haha :D

So got the batteries and everything was great for the first hour....... then!!! I look over at the saber and it's emitting light! A dim light but it's still off. I'm going to try and add some photos of the set up I'm using with the board. Also I took everything out to make sure I wasn't shorting on the saber it self and turned it on same issue. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this.

don_gt69
01-22-2016, 09:56 PM
added photos on the first post!

FenixFire
01-22-2016, 11:19 PM
Could the burn on the red wire just above the heat shrink have exposed a strand?

darth_chasm
01-22-2016, 11:33 PM
added photos on the first post!

Where did you add the photos??

don_gt69
01-22-2016, 11:38 PM
Where did you add the photos??

There is a link to my photo bucket.

don_gt69
01-22-2016, 11:39 PM
Could the burn on the red wire just above the heat shrink have exposed a strand?

I was thinking the same thing but no wire is exposed and I isolated it to make sure and problem still exist.

darth_chasm
01-22-2016, 11:43 PM
I was busting your chops regarding the huge font ;)

Not sure what the issue you're having is, but I did notice you said you used super glue. While not conductive, the real issue is that when some super glues are heated to a certain temperature they can release cyanide gas... I would avoid using it any further.

don_gt69
01-23-2016, 10:49 AM
I was busting your chops regarding the huge font ;)

Not sure what the issue you're having is, but I did notice you said you used super glue. While not conductive, the real issue is that when some super glues are heated to a certain temperature they can release cyanide gas... I would avoid using it any further.

good looking out on the superglue tip, noted for sure. and i was thinking you were busting m chops but i couldn't e to safe. lol

don_gt69
01-24-2016, 11:08 AM
OK SO I FINALLY DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tore everything apart and started over!!!! new wires new solder. i seen were i had a what they call a "cold Solder" on the NBV2 and re did that. that was really the only thing i seen that wasn't right but i still did the entire thing over!!! talk about a pain in the butt. LOL... thank you all who commented and helped me out through this problem. ill try to get another video up of my saber completed. (before or after paint ? or both? hmmmm,,,, lol. ether way. thank you everyone and yes your solder joints matter a great deal!!!

Count Malik
01-24-2016, 12:09 PM
OK SO I FINALLY DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tore everything apart and started over!!!! new wires new solder. i seen were i had a what they call a "cold Solder" on the NBV2 and re did that. that was really the only thing i seen that wasn't right but i still did the entire thing over!!! talk about a pain in the butt. LOL... thank you all who commented and helped me out through this problem. ill try to get another video up of my saber completed. (before or after paint ? or both? hmmmm,,,, lol. ether way. thank you everyone and yes your solder joints matter a great deal!!!

glad to hear you got it squared away!!! Why not a before and after paint? ;)

don_gt69
01-24-2016, 12:30 PM
glad to hear you got it squared away!!! Why not a before and after paint? ;)

ok here is the before!

videos are always better!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O46P8pOOvE

girot
01-24-2016, 03:03 PM
http://workingsmartercafe.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/obi-wan-these-aren_t-the-droids-you_re-looking-for.jpg

don_gt69
01-24-2016, 03:27 PM
http://workingsmartercafe.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/obi-wan-these-aren_t-the-droids-you_re-looking-for.jpg

I see what you did there!

don_gt69
01-24-2016, 04:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B-xCOV778o

darth_chasm
01-24-2016, 05:04 PM
Nice job. Glad you got it sorted out.

Count Malik
01-24-2016, 05:21 PM
looks good!!!

don_gt69
01-24-2016, 05:55 PM