PDA

View Full Version : NVB won't turn off, constantly plays swing sounds if picked up

Crims
01-15-2016, 07:24 PM
So, I wired a NBv2 with no recharge port or FoC, using page 9 of the manual. I hooked everything up and it will change soundfonts while off and start up no problem, but won't power down when I hold down the switch. It registers the long press on the switch for soundfont changing and I've used two different switches so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Also if I pick it up at all, it starts looping swing sounds one after another.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-15-2016, 07:30 PM
Regarding the swinging sounds...
1. Are the batteries fully charged?
2. Do you have resistors on the main die(dice)?

Crims
01-15-2016, 07:34 PM
Regarding the swinging sounds...
1. Are the batteries fully charged?
2. Do you have resistors on the main die(dice)?

Not sure on the first - this was a fresh out of the box battery from TCSS. The second is a yes, I have a resistor on it, I believe 1.8 ohms. I'm using an LED that once went to a US saber.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-15-2016, 07:36 PM
Not sure on the first - this was a fresh out of the box battery from TCSS. The second is a yes, I have a resistor on it, I believe 1.8 ohms. I'm using an LED that once went to a US saber.

I would try fully charging the battery first.

Crims
01-16-2016, 12:12 AM
Ok, I charged the battery fully which solved the swing sounds. It still won't turn off though.

I found one other person having this problem, didn't see a resolution on it. I also checked the settings file and the power off time is set to 200, as it should be.

Greenie
01-16-2016, 06:12 AM
You may have bridged two pads ;)

Silver Serpent
01-16-2016, 08:24 AM
Do you have a latching switch, or momentary switch?

The NB only takes a momentary switch.

Crims
01-16-2016, 11:17 AM
I made sure it's a momentary. I can try resoldering if necessary.

Crims
01-16-2016, 05:43 PM
I resoldered the speaker wires only (and drilled a separate hole in the chassis for them so they wouldn't cross the board. Works normally now!

EDIT - and now back to where I was before after one wire broke off and had to be resoldered. Ugh.

EDIT 2 - After a bunch of re-soldering it works. THANK THE MAKER.

SPACEMONKEY1
03-17-2016, 04:35 AM
I would try fully charging the battery first.

Finished soldering everything last night and I'm also having this issue. So I plugged the charger in. FJK, I'm hoping it's just a charge issue. If it is, how do I know it's fully charged? How long do you normally charge it for?

Greenie
03-17-2016, 05:45 AM
The charger usually has a red light when charging and green when it's done.

SPACEMONKEY1
03-17-2016, 06:39 AM
Ok so I was thinking I might have bridged 2 pads but I don't think I did. My soldering is no masterpiece but in the image I see green between the pads. Maybe I need to let the battery charge all day? Its been charging for maybe 2 hours. My charger doesn't have a light indicator so I need to get one of those. I can turn the blade on and off, FoC is working perfectly. Just keeps making swing sounds while resting.

http://i.imgur.com/ULQIgEhl.jpg (http://imgur.com/ULQIgEh)

Jay-gon Jinn
03-17-2016, 07:38 AM
Looks like the board is sitting right next to your speaker, so you might need to adjust it's sensitivity. It is likely reacting to the vibration from the speaker and triggering the swing effects.

SPACEMONKEY1
03-17-2016, 07:42 AM
Looks like the board is sitting right next to your speaker, so you might need to adjust it's sensitivity. It is likely reacting to the vibration from the speaker and triggering the swing effects.

Oh wow really? So just take down the swing sensitivity? I didn't think it was that sensitive. I actually hope this is the case. I'll try this tonight when I get home from work. Also gonna get a charger that has a led indicator so I'll know when the battery is fully charged. Thanks Jay-Gon Jinn. Is the speaker causing the board to act up a common occurrence?

Jay-gon Jinn
03-17-2016, 07:59 AM
Especially if you're using the mega bass speaker, yes.

SPACEMONKEY1
03-17-2016, 08:18 AM
Especially if you're using the mega bass speaker, yes.

Indeed I am using the super bass speaker. As far as sensitivity goes, I'm assuming the default is still set at i = 53. Would you have a suggestion as far as a number to decrease it to? I'll just start decreasing by 1 and go from there. Also is this the parameter I should be decreasing?

Jay-gon Jinn
03-18-2016, 05:43 AM
That is the value I would start with....you may have to raise the ls threshold as well, but start with the i setting.

SPACEMONKEY1
03-18-2016, 07:13 AM
That is the value I would start with....you may have to raise the ls threshold as well, but start with the i setting.

Jay-gon, it's working perfectly now. Had to raise the low swing to around 99 and just bumped up the high swing and FoC value. Some of the lower swings aren't registering, but high swings are and FoC is working perfectly. Thanks so much for the help!!! Also may try and design a chassis with the board near the top. Just wanted the crystal chamber near the top so I could reveal it right away. I'll sacrifice some low swings for it working properly.

Silver Serpent
03-18-2016, 07:24 AM
Make a note of your current settings (since it's working OKish now) and then keep fiddling with it when you feel like it. So long as you have a copy of the current settings, you'll never have to worry about screwing it up so badly that you can't remember how to fix it. :)

SPACEMONKEY1
03-18-2016, 07:42 AM
Make a note of your current settings (since it's working OKish now) and then keep fiddling with it when you feel like it. So long as you have a copy of the current settings, you'll never have to worry about screwing it up so badly that you can't remember how to fix it. :)

Good call Silver!! It's like Christmas morning today : )

Jay-gon Jinn
03-19-2016, 06:39 AM
Glad you got it working to your liking, and as usual, Silver had good advice on writing down the settings. If you received design the chassis to put the board near the front, you may have to the other way on the settings.

LyleStyle
03-22-2016, 08:31 AM
I just finished a build with an NB v2 and am getting the constant swing issue, but only with light meat sounds. Switching to dark meat chills it out and it runs fine. Fully charging had no effect. When I take the unit out of the hilt, still wired, it goes quiet.

Next steps:

There is a resistor on the main LEDS (which are in parallel just like in Madcow's video). I might need to bump it up but the math seems to checkout.

OR

Sensitivity setting are wrong. Will tune.

OR

Volume set to high, increasing current draw, or vibration. (I noticed some one solving this problem that way.)

OR

Folding the wires is making a bridge somewhere. Time to sap strap and clean up the bundle.

What does it mean!?!? :)

Greenie
03-22-2016, 02:57 PM
Although Madcow uses 1 resistor for 2 dies, the general consensus is to use 1 on each die. FJK has previously suggested that improper wiring of resistors in this way can cause errant swings with the NB. :)

LyleStyle
03-24-2016, 10:00 AM
Although Madcow uses 1 resistor for 2 dies, the general consensus is to use 1 on each die. FJK has previously suggested that improper wiring of resistors in this way can cause errant swings with the NB. :)

Interesting. I resolved it by changing the placement of the board (rotating it), but that's very helpful.

FenixFire
03-24-2016, 12:57 PM
Interesting. I resolved it by changing the placement of the board (rotating it), but that's very helpful.

Loose/broken wire, too close to the speaker or is there a functional reasoning for this? Just curious.

LyleStyle
03-26-2016, 10:21 AM
Loose/broken wire, too close to the speaker or is there a functional reasoning for this? Just curious.

About an hour of swing time and the problem returned. I had reused a jst connected wire set and the connector was loose. To be sure I rewired 4 of the pads. I had 3 wires spun together on each of the neg and pos pads, and split them into a 2 on top, 1 one the bottom set up. The speaker wires got replaced and shortened. While I was at it I migrated some new sound fonts (all from chips I bought or saberfont.com).

A long test seems to prove its running smooth. So, yeah, a loose wire was prob it. If it comes back, I'll add that resistor.