PDA

View Full Version : Batteries Li-on

Xtream Media
01-14-2016, 06:32 PM
Hi I'm new to building light sabers, My question is if I connect two 3.7v Li-on batteries in parallel do I only use one 3.7v PCB or two.

Thanks in advance.

Jay-gon Jinn
01-14-2016, 06:59 PM
Each battery should really have its own pcb. Most 3.7v pcb's are only meant for a single cell and would be unable to balance e the charge between the two.

Xtream Media
01-14-2016, 07:50 PM
Thanks for your answer. So if I installed two separate batteries with PCB's, to extend run time in the hilt, would it be possible to charge them simultaneously from the recharge port.

Jay-gon Jinn
01-14-2016, 08:08 PM
I haven't tried that myself, but it should be possible. Each cell's pcb will cut off the charger once the correct threshold has been reached.

Xtream Media
01-14-2016, 08:32 PM
Thanks for that. I'll set up a bench test

bambua
01-14-2016, 09:21 PM
Make sure you get 2 new cells from the same batch/box if possible. You want these cells to stay matched as it will make charging and discharging much more predictable and safe.

Jay-mo
01-19-2016, 01:08 PM
Make sure you get 2 new cells from the same batch/box if possible. You want these cells to stay matched as it will make charging and discharging much more predictable and safe.

I totally agree, its very important if your using two LI-ions. "Mating" the pair, as I call it.. Always use the same brand for a "mated" pair.

Charge each one at the same rate (I.E if your charger has a low setting, both should be charged on the same setting). Mark them, and label them.

A great investment is a charger that can "read" battteries as they charge, with a digital display. It tells you if your battery seller is really giving you "new" batteries.. Its saved me money and time dealing with batteries sold as a "Pair" that were actually used separately.

Also, look up the basics of handling, storing, and using Li-ion cells if your new to using them. :cool: Safety first.