PDA

View Full Version : Help with blade holder

djblingbling1
01-13-2016, 09:28 PM
Hi,

Having a bit of trouble with my first build, thought I might run into trouble with the blade holder and sure enough I did.

I finally started messing with it today since my blade and other bits are coming tomorrow from TCSS (according to usps anyway!)

Its a 1 1/4 sink pipe, plan was use a 1" PVC, since 3/4 pvs is 1" OD, I assumed 1 was 1 1/4 OD.....That's what I get for assuming, as its 1.3 not 1.25. Now I could sand it down but I would like to make sure the blade is perfectly centered and I dont know if I can do that with hand sanding.

I know TCSS sells a 1.25 blade holder, but because of the custom heatsink im doing for the sake of experimenting with my first build (my second will be mostly modular hilt parts, really exited!) I really cant have something I need to drill and tap and has the heatsink with it if that makes sense.

Is there any alternative? I really just need something with a 1" ID and 1.25 OD, or should I just hand sand my PVC?

Or am I being dumb and complicating things buy not just buying a ready designed bladeholder? IM already semi invested in this pipe so I dont want to scrap it yet if I dont have to.

FenixFire
01-18-2016, 09:56 AM
Easiest option would be to find a way to chuck it up to a hand drill to spin the pvc, then sand it that way.

Second would be to find someone with a lathe to turn the PVC down to 1.25"OD. Since you seem to be on a specific path, I would seek this out first.

Best would be by the adapter from the store. The mount easily, and you will need to drill and tap for a blade retention screw anyway.

I would not scrap the sink tube. I do not know what your heatsink idea is, but you may be making it more difficult than it need be. As a professional product development consultant, it is always easiest to make it more complicated...to make it as simple and clean as possible, that is where the genius lives.

djblingbling1
01-18-2016, 10:04 AM
I can guarantee at this point I am making it more difficult, but the main goal of this first saber is a learning process.

I have a vintage 1920's drill press and the pvc fit perfectly on the back of the motor as a poor mans lathe, got it sanded down. I want the shop adaptr bad but its currently out of stock so I plan to order it when its back in stock for my second build.

I have been refreshing my tapping skills so I should be ready to go once I get the proper adapter in the future for TCSS!

FenixFire
01-18-2016, 10:18 AM
Tapping 101: work slow, back out and clean tap a couple of times if needed and use ample amounts of cutting fluid, WD40 or 3:1 oil. Aluminum is sticky when it comes to cutting tools, if the tap gums up it will snap. Use quality taps or they will snap. I have seen and personally snapped many #4, #6 and #8 taps in aluminum over the years.