PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding Programmable LEDs

TeslaMilano
01-13-2016, 03:31 AM
Hi everyone! I'm currently in the process of assembling a Stromtrooper Commander costume to join the 501st Legion and have decided to go with a lightsaber as my prop. My main problem is I can't really decide on a color and the Emerald driver of Ultrasabers have caught my eye. I've read up extensively on them and it seems that the quality of their electronics is sketchy at times. I was wondering if there's an alternative to the Emerald driver that allows me to switch up colors or add a pulse to my LED.

Cheers!

BartElroy
01-13-2016, 03:53 AM
The Prizm Sound Board sold in the Custom Saber Shop ( http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Prizm-Sound-Module-V35-P990.aspx ) is a good choice if you want color switching at an affordable price. You'll find it's better supported than anything from the company you mentioned. There is another option of roughly equivalent price, but as it's not carried in the Custom Saber Shop, I won't mention it by name on their forums. The benefit of the Prizm (as well as the other board) is that it does sound and led color switching, all on a single board, and runs off a single 3.7 volt Lithium Ion cell.

TeslaMilano
01-13-2016, 03:56 AM
This looks very promising! Could you happen to PM me the name of the other option?

BartElroy
01-13-2016, 04:06 AM
Sadly, I haven't built up enough posts to be able to private message here on tccs forum, but if you Google Saber Sound Board, I suspect you'll find it easily enough.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-13-2016, 08:00 AM
Sadly, I haven't built up enough posts to be able to private message here on tccs forum, but if you Google Saber Sound Board, I suspect you'll find it easily enough.

You also may not have the PM function turned on in your profile (which YOU can fix). Also, the rules cover PM's also.

BartElroy
01-13-2016, 12:19 PM
Thanks, FJK. I will keep that in mind about the rules, and take any discussions of products not carried by TCCS elsewhere.

TeslaMilano, it looks like you have Private Messaging turned off, because I checked, and I can in fact message other people. Just not you.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-13-2016, 01:43 PM
Thanks, FJK. I will keep that in mind about the rules, and take any discussions of products not carried by TCCS elsewhere.

TeslaMilano, it looks like you have Private Messaging turned off, because I checked, and I can in fact message other people. Just not you.

HE probably doesn't have the post count to PM as of yet. ;)

TeslaMilano
01-13-2016, 09:38 PM
I found the other one through Googling! As I read more, I think I'm way in over my head and don't really have the experience to assemble one. I'll dig deeper and find other alternatives. Thanks!

BartElroy
01-14-2016, 01:01 AM
Tesla, if you want to learn, go here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCustomSaberShop

Watch all the videos by Rob "MadCow" Petkau.

Then go here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MadcowGenesis

And watch all the how to videos.

Rob is, simply put, one of the best teachers in the hobby. He's the reason why my second build is going to include a $150 sound board and not be another stunt saber. Because I learned enough from his videos that I feel perfectly comfortable with the sound boards. If you're nervous, drop about $100 and get the parts for his basic stunt saber tutorial build, and follow along.

The hobby can be a little intimidating, but you can get LOTS of help here.

TeslaMilano
01-14-2016, 05:06 AM
I'm really happy to see how helpful everyone is here, I appreciate the links and will be checking them out soon. Thanks Bart!