PDA

View Full Version : PC3.5 Power Issues

AkiraShimizu
01-11-2016, 04:36 PM
Well, I'm stumped. I got everything wired up correctly, and I can't for the life of me figure out why my saber isn't working. The PLI and board power indicator LED light up, and then nothing. No sound, the LEDs don't turn on when I press the power button, and I just don't get it.

I have a PC 3.5
tri-cree (R/G/RB)
Color extender (wired to the board power)
3.7v 18650 (yes, I did the board hack)
2.1 mm recharge port
R.I.C.E. port
AV switch (red dot, that's the power indicator LED connected to the board that does light up)
Premium speaker

I even rewired everything to make sure there was no shorts anywhere. I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

ColdVizjerei
01-11-2016, 04:40 PM
Might be helpful to show us pics of your wiring + a wiring diagram. Based on what you've said, you probably messed up the wiring of the switch.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-11-2016, 04:44 PM
Have you tried everything outside of the hilt?

Cire Yeldarb
01-11-2016, 04:58 PM
This may sound dumb, but is your SD card inserted?

Was walking my friends through building their sabers last night and they both forgot to put the SD card in before trying to fire up their sabers and had similar symptoms.

AkiraShimizu
01-11-2016, 05:26 PM
Yes, it is. I checked that myself, because it wouldn't be the first time I forgot to put it back in. xD

I don't think it was the switch, as there was no bootup sound at all. I just redid and cleaned up my wiring of the switch area.

I have not tried everything outside of the hilt. That's probably my next step, as I've been trying to avoid that. I have a crystal chamber set up in my chasis, so it will be a pain to pull it apart the way it's set up. I might just have to.

I'll do a quick wiring diagram, and I hope it's something simple.

Cire Yeldarb
01-11-2016, 05:52 PM
haha okay, just double checking since I had run into that very thing just last night!

Hopefully your wiring diagram will present the problem, otherwise you'll probably have to take it all out

ColdVizjerei
01-11-2016, 06:06 PM
Ah sorry about that, I read right over the part where you mentioned that there's no boot sound at all.
Did you do as FJK suggested and test all the parts outside of the hilt beforehand to make sure they're all working?

Show us some pictures of your wiring so we can help you ID the problem.

AkiraShimizu
01-11-2016, 07:20 PM
Here is an absolutely awful wiring chart that I drew up in paint. Pictures to come in a moment.

AkiraShimizu
01-11-2016, 08:15 PM
http://imgur.com/a/0Txhi
There's the imgur link to the pictures. They were too large to upload here.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-11-2016, 08:21 PM
Well, the wiring doesn't look too great. The ACT wire should be replaced. Also it looks like you might have damaged one or two components when doing your hack. I also see multiple wires going into the Aux pad.

AkiraShimizu
01-11-2016, 08:38 PM
There's only one. It sort of looks like it in the picture, but the other two are going to the negative pad. I planned on replacing the damaged wire, as when I was redoing the joint, the iron touched some of the wire. And which components look damaged?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-11-2016, 08:42 PM
There's only one. It sort of looks like it in the picture, but the other two are going to the negative pad. I planned on replacing the damaged wire, as when I was redoing the joint, the iron touched some of the wire. And which components look damaged?

The 2 to the left of where you did your hack.

ColdVizjerei
01-11-2016, 08:46 PM
Well, the wiring doesn't look too great.

I second what FJK said. Also, the soldering joints for the switches don't look too good so I'd recommend you redo that part.
As for your diagram, it's hard to be sure that everything's ok when you haven't labeled the PC and the CeX. We can probably guess, but it would make our lives (and yours) easier if you made a more detailed diagram.

AkiraShimizu
01-11-2016, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I know they aren't great. Honestly, I sort of rushed them (they were better the first time) because I was just trying to get the thing to boot. I'll redo them. And making a more detailed one will take me a while, but I'll get to work on it.

As far as the components go, that was actually hot glue that I dripped and didn't notice. I cleaned them off, and they look okay. I just really hope I didn't in some way damage the board and forgot or messed up something simple.

ColdVizjerei
01-11-2016, 09:07 PM
You can always try hooking up only the speaker, and then touching the battery positive and the battery negative to their respective pads on the board (Don't forget to put the SD card in).
If you hear a boot sound, then the board should be ok.
If not...then there's a chance that you might have damaged the board

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-11-2016, 09:21 PM
You can always try hooking up only the speaker, and then touching the battery positive and the battery negative to their respective pads on the board (Don't forget to put the SD card in).
If you hear a boot sound, then the board should be ok.
If not...then there's a chance that you might have damaged the board

You would need the speaker and power from the battery. ;)

AkiraShimizu
01-11-2016, 09:30 PM
Okay, something really weird happened.

After resoldering the negative for the switches, I pulled the kill key out of the recharge port, the main LED came on instantly, and now I'm getting the boot sound. I may have been getting it before, as I just tested that my speaker may be faulty. I connected another one. It should also be noted that it doesn't sound quite right; there's very breifly some morse-code sounding beeping before the boot sound, and when the boot sound plays, it's very low quality (which could also be because it has no resonance chamber).

After pulling the negative connection for the switches off and putting them on again, the main LED did not turn on anymore.

Something very strange is happening and I can't quite figure it out. I think I'm going to have to pull it apart and redo everything.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-12-2016, 08:27 AM
... and also make sure you have the proper switch setting in your configuration files.

AkiraShimizu
01-12-2016, 01:43 PM
The switch config is set to 2, which is what the owner's manual said to set for a momentary switch. Here's a video of it. I mistakenly said AUX switch, but it's wired as the main switch.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8QZv-3zKuP1MTkyanVnTklxR28/view?usp=sharing

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-12-2016, 01:50 PM
1. Don't put the wire INTO the hole.

2. Try soldering your switch to the pads on the underside of the board. The boot sounds seemed normal.

Noyl Wendor
01-12-2016, 03:32 PM
Just my two cents. I would go for a massive cleanup on that board. Strip it all down, make sure there is no solder between pads.....everywhere. Then go simple, attach power main switch and speaker. Go from there.
As a side question. Is there any part of your board getting really hot?

AkiraShimizu
01-12-2016, 03:39 PM
I made the changes you suggested, still nothing. And I don't think my phone's camera did it justice.

AkiraShimizu
01-12-2016, 03:50 PM
I've been working on that, actually. And no, it's pretty cool, temperature wise.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-12-2016, 04:02 PM
I've been working on that, actually. And no, it's pretty cool, temperature wise.

Did you try a different switch?

NanoRex
01-12-2016, 04:08 PM
I'm no expert by any means, but here's my two cents: I think it might be beneficial to use a multimeter to test your switches, or to see where there is voltage on the board and where there isn't. That might help to isolate the problem.

AkiraShimizu
01-12-2016, 04:26 PM
I've tried 3 different switches. I've also tried bridging the pads. I'm trying to get ahold of my friend who has a multimeter so he can come over and test it.

Cire Yeldarb
01-12-2016, 04:33 PM
Battery fully charged?

AkiraShimizu
01-12-2016, 04:38 PM
Yes, battery is fully charged.

sgcdialler
02-05-2016, 02:31 PM
Was this ever resolved?