PDA

View Full Version : Custom wiring

UsernameNotFound
01-08-2016, 09:44 PM
So for my first saber I am looking at a lot of possibilities. What I really want to do is take a basic Acolyte Saber Forge hilt and add my own wiring, including sound and LED. The inside of the Acolyte is 1.35 in while the Custom Saber Shop parts I want to use are designed for a 1 in hilt. I don't know if this is possible if i should use some sort of PVC pipe to fill in this space. The parts I want to put in the empty hilt include:
Luxeon Rebel Star
Star thermal tape pad
Collimator Lens 8.7 deg viewing angle
1ohm 5w resistor
Nano Biscotte Sound Module V2
MHS speaker mount V6 - For 28mm Speakers
Premium 28mm Speaker
NB V2 MWS Header and Wiring Harness
18650 Single Cell Holder
Heatshrink Tubing

I got this list of parts from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOpUSCsXXhk and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sApB7J5JdZ4

Thanks

Miraluka
01-08-2016, 09:51 PM
Welcome to the forums.

Just as an FYI, people don't like to talk about SF here... or anywhere.

That MHS speaker mount V6 isn't going to work out properly. 1) It won't fit. 2) It isn't compatible with the wiring harness.

Yes, it's possible to put those electronic components into that hilt but you're going to need to devise your own chassis solution, especially since SF doesn't even use them. Also, you didn't list a heat sink on your parts list. You're going to need one.

UsernameNotFound
01-08-2016, 10:19 PM
I had a feeling SaberForge wouldn't be popular, but for the price I really liked the hilt. The speaker holder fits 28mm and that is the speaker size. Also, do you know if just get the whole rebel star heatsink module will it fit. My original plan was to also buy the Nano Biscotte later on and the wire that in, since I do not have the money as of right now. And finally, thank you so much for helping me, I am honestly really unsure of what route to take in this situation, as I would really enjoy getting into building sabers.
P.S. that is one sweet ass saber you have.

Miraluka
01-09-2016, 01:36 AM
but for the price
Just remember, you get what you pay for.

The whole rebel LED module will not fit. That is made to fit under an MHS blade holder. You will need to mount your LED onto one of these (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Heatsink-module-for-1-ID-tubes-with-center-hole-P1011.aspx) I know, they're out of stock right now, but they'll be back. You can use the version with or without the center hole.

Also, I know that speaker holder is made to hold the 28mm speaker, but that hilt is not made to hold that speaker holder. :smile: The Acolyte has an OD of 1.35" not ID. MHS speaker holders are 1.25"OD. I think that hilt probably has an ID somewhere around 1.10-1.15"

I'll try to find out for sure what the dimensions are. But as long as we're on the subject, I'm gonna put in my 2 cents. stay away from SF

P.S. Thank you.

Edit: Just heard back from someone that has one. He measured it at 1.125" ID.

UsernameNotFound
01-09-2016, 09:48 AM
Well is there a rather simple way to make a sort of Acolyte replica or something similar using MHS1 parts. I have no way of custom machining or anything like that, and that's why I didn't want to use any of the (what looked to me as boring) MHS1 hilt parts.

darth_chasm
01-09-2016, 10:17 AM
...and that's why I didn't want to use any of the (what looked to me as boring) MHS1 hilt parts.

Kind of in poor taste considering you are on the TCSS forums.

UsernameNotFound
01-09-2016, 10:23 AM
Not boring but I mean it was all machined metal with some grooves, I have no way, I think, of powder-coating or doing any machining or acid etching of my own.

Miraluka
01-09-2016, 10:37 AM
Etching requires very little other than meticulousness.

You don't have to powdercoat anything, yourself. Tim can do it or you can use paint.

Lots of other things can be done with a drill, rotary tool, metal files and some ingenuity. With enough ingenuity, you might not need the rotary...

UsernameNotFound
01-09-2016, 10:44 AM
Well thanks man I will try some stuff

darth_chasm
01-09-2016, 10:54 AM
And you don't have to acid etch if you don't have a place to do it. Salt, water, a bucket and a battery will do the trick. I've done it in my tiny apt. ARKMs tutorial is a great resource for this method.

alternatives to powder coating would be enamel paint or oxidizing agents like birchwood casey aluminum black.

The beauty of MHS is s that it is set up to do what you want. You're not stuck with a prefab design that many others have. Very much diy, but you can also ask Tim about customizations.

Silver Serpent
01-09-2016, 12:18 PM
MHS parts are a starting point, not an ending point. You take the parts from the store and customize them to your taste. You can use any tools you have available, from expensive lathes and mills down to simple hand files. The only limit is your imagination.