PDA

View Full Version : 12w led

vezril
01-06-2016, 07:33 PM
Hey guys, been having a problem and wondering if anyone can help me out.

I'm wiring a 12W saberforge with a Nano Biscotte V2 board, for my tests I have it in the pictured configured. At first when I tried with a 12W diode, the board would shut off due to too much power draw from the diode (it would light up for half a second then turn off). So I was told to do a small hack with a power extender (the one from TCSS) in the pictured configuration. Yet I'm still having the same issue, so I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what it could be?

Also the picture is not the final circuit but just what I use for my tests. I start the board by shorting the Activator switch pad with the ground.

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz274/calvinference/NBV2_with_4PDT_zps2frfemr7.jpg

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-06-2016, 08:03 PM
Welcome to the Forums.

That company (and their products) aren't typically discussed in these parts. Which that said, I think part of your problem is that those "12W" LEDs may need more than 3.7v to properly drive them.

jordanbeck724
01-06-2016, 08:15 PM
I have used those before with Nano biscotte and pex and honestly, its just more trouble that its worth, nothing against the make but as said before, it isn't designed for that board. That LED also wont be very bright running that way and I have noticed very unbalanced light distribution. as some one one with no grudge against SF, just stick with a Tri-Cree, better for the board better light distribution. and far less of a headache.

vezril
01-06-2016, 08:43 PM
That company (and their products) aren't typically discussed in these parts. Which that said, I think part of your problem is that those "12W" LEDs may need more than 3.7v to properly drive them.

Wow that much? Sorry I had no idea there was any animosity. No it's designed for 3.7v. I actually just did a conversion for a 6W model driven by 3.7v and it worked like a charm.

I have used those before with Nano biscotte and pex and honestly, its just more trouble that its worth, nothing against the make but as said before, it isn't designed for that board. That LED also wont be very bright running that way and I have noticed very unbalanced light distribution. as some one one with no grudge against SF, just stick with a Tri-Cree, better for the board better light distribution. and far less of a headache.

Ah really? Hmm. I have a cree that is laying around, I'll give that a shot and see if it works. I'll also try dropping the input current to the LED by half, that might work (but obviously won't be as bright).

Thanks for the replies guys (and sorry about the SF thing!)

FenixFire
01-06-2016, 09:15 PM
Technically they are both Cree. SF uses 4 XB-D center mounted to a traditional MCPCB, TCSS uses 3 XP-E2 peripherally monted to a newer sinkpad II. Going by specs alone the XB-D should be brighter roughly 310 lumen vs. 290 per die, but the newer XP-E2 die is far more energy efficient than the couple of generations old XB-D. Essentially they convert more power into light and less into heat. With LEDs heat is the enemy too cold and the light output reduces, too hot and the light output reduces...get it too hot and you burn out the die prematurely. There is a reason one design is more prevalent in LED products and one is "proprietary".

Optics clarity, angle and overall quality also effect perceived lumanence...I would bet that translates to lighting a blade as well.

Miraluka
01-06-2016, 09:31 PM
Wow that much? Sorry I had no idea there was any animosity.

It's not just here. SF isn't really discussed anywhere except the SF forums. Rest assured, they have earned their status as a pariah in the lightsaber community...

P.S.
Just use a tri-CREE. It will look much better.

vezril
01-07-2016, 05:54 AM
Technically they are both Cree. SF uses 4 XB-D center mounted to a traditional MCPCB, TCSS uses 3 XP-E2 peripherally monted to a newer sinkpad II. Going by specs alone the XB-D should be brighter roughly 310 lumen vs. 290 per die, but the newer XP-E2 die is far more energy efficient than the couple of generations old XB-D. Essentially they convert more power into light and less into heat. With LEDs heat is the enemy too cold and the light output reduces, too hot and the light output reduces...get it too hot and you burn out the die prematurely. There is a reason one design is more prevalent in LED products and one is "proprietary".

Optics clarity, angle and overall quality also effect perceived lumanence...I would bet that translates to lighting a blade as well.

Thanks for that info, I was trying to find the specs for the SF and couldn't find much. I'm an electrical engineer (not a sabersmith ;) ) so I tend to like more technical details, it speaks more to me and you helped with that.

It's not just here. SF isn't really discussed anywhere except the SF forums. Rest assured, they have earned their status as a pariah in the lightsaber community...

P.S.
Just use a tri-CREE. It will look much better.

I see, having dealt with Philip, I can see why they earned that status.

Much obliged guys, I'll give the tre-CREE a shot!

Cire Yeldarb
01-07-2016, 12:50 PM
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how the Tri-Crees look

Nice Darth Revan by the way!

vezril
01-07-2016, 01:08 PM
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how the Tri-Crees look

Nice Darth Revan by the way!

Looking forward to seeing it in action! :)

And thanks! Though the 501st legion profile page (I'm assuming you looked up my SL number) doesn't give it justice. Here's a nicer pic (http://s835.photobucket.com/user/calvinference/media/_MG_6610-Edit_zpsuy2xsota.png.html) ;)

(Sorry if I'm diverting the subject a bit!)

Cire Yeldarb
01-07-2016, 02:20 PM
Oh man you are right, the 501st pic did not do it justice at all! That is epic!

Miraluka
01-07-2016, 09:45 PM
Very nice Revan, indeed.