PDA

View Full Version : How to choose a soundboard?

bunger
01-06-2016, 10:43 AM
Instead of buying a custom saber, I think I may try to build one instead... Way more fun that way!

Aside from budget, how does one choose a soundboard given that some seem to do essentially the same things? For example the CF and Prism boards both seem to have mostly through same functionality.

Do they all fit in MHS-built bodies?

Thanks in advance!

darth_chasm
01-06-2016, 10:52 AM
I believe if you go to plecter labs website you can find a comparison chart. I'm not sure of the exact location, hence not posting a link.

Some things I can think of. The CF has different, better motion detection than all the other boards. It supports more sound banks. Produces better sound quality. Can offer "true" color mixing with the addition of a Color Extender. Supports more accent LEDs. Offers more configuration. On and on. It's truly a great board.

I have a couple of Prizms but have yet to use them. But my experience with CFs and NBs tells me the Prizim won't disappoint.

And yes, they all fit in MHS.

Edit: Ah here is the link. Unfortunately, it compares the new versions of the board which are yet to come out. But it should give you a good idea of the differences. http://plecterlabs.com/Media/Doc/CompareBoards/plecter_boards.php

Timanator
01-06-2016, 12:02 PM
madcow has a video on this, this is a bit old but not like sound boards has made any leaps in technology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59dp2qAC51I

bunger
01-06-2016, 04:59 PM
I am definitely getting bogged down by all of the options and am feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Given my novice status, a Nano Biscotte would probably be the easiest to install and wire. However, I really want the ability to change blade colors on the fly (without having to reprogram ).

What would be the "easiest" card to work with that still allows for on-deman color changes?

Cire Yeldarb
01-06-2016, 05:17 PM
probably the prizm, since thats exactly what it was designed for

bunger
01-07-2016, 05:23 AM
I've been searching for wiring and saber build videos for the prizm and am not finding much.

Is it new or go by a different name?

ColdVizjerei
01-07-2016, 06:44 AM
For all your wiring needs, the prizm manual has all the info for that.
If you're watching the tutorial videos (from the forum's tutorial section) where they use a nano biscotte in the tutorials, then you should be able to apply the same building principles to a build with a prizm.

bunger
01-07-2016, 08:41 AM
I was following that video, but aren't the boards different in sizes and wouldn't I need a different chassis configuration?

NanoRex
01-07-2016, 08:45 AM
There are many different chassis parts in the store, so like Madcow said in the videos, you can mix and match them until you get the configuration you like. The PRIZM sound card has the same width as the Petit Crouton and Crystal Focus sound cards, so the chassis discs for "PC 2.0" will fit the PRIZM.

Kouri
01-07-2016, 11:06 AM
If you just want a simple, inexpensive, color-changing board, you might want to sit tight for the release of the Pico Crumble.

No custom fonts, but the option to choose between the pre-installed Jedi and Sith packs.
6 pre-set color profiles (Red, Magenta, Blue, Cyan, Green, and Orange)
Only the one momentary switch to worry about.
Same 18mm width of the Nano Biscotte, so it should fit the same chassis.

bunger
01-07-2016, 02:41 PM
That Pico Crumble sounds awesome, but it also sounds as tho availability may be a ways off.

I am currently leaning toward a Petite Crouton - has some of the advanced stuff of a CF, but maybe not quite as "complex."

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-07-2016, 02:53 PM
I am currently leaning toward a Petite Crouton - has some of the advanced stuff of a CF, but maybe not quite as "complex."

That's a very accurate assessment.

girot
01-07-2016, 04:00 PM
Check my build thread for a video. I've been working on a Prizm over the last month or so. Other than that go by the manual and you'll be just fine. Really read it though. I have a few lessons learned from missing important details, lol.