PDA

View Full Version : 1 1/4 sinktube

JediHilt
01-07-2007, 05:52 PM
What does the 1/14 sink tube fit? I'm guessing the inside of the MHS parts right?

Jedi-Loreen
01-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Why would you need to put a sink tube inside and MHS hilt? :?

They are for people who like to make smaller diameter hilts, which are mostly practical for EL hilts, I don't know of you could do and LED hilt with one. I don't think I've seen anyone try, but maybe I never noticed, if someone did.

Spencer_P
01-07-2007, 07:00 PM
They're generally used to make thin hilts or thin parts on thicker hilts. You can make an LED saber with them; I myself have made two that use Star/O LEDs. Here's a few photos of the best one:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e235/Spencer_P/Lonassaber001.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e235/Spencer_P/royalblueignited001.jpg

Strydur's going to have some LED blade holder parts made for these tubes in the future.
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1949

JediHilt
01-07-2007, 09:08 PM
I thought that maybe there for the hilt designs that have several layers.

LordArgyll
01-08-2007, 08:25 AM
What does the 1/14 sink tube fit? I'm guessing the inside of the MHS parts right?

It doesn't fit inside. Not without some serious sanding I'm guessing, but it doesn't dry-fit. I've tried it. :wink:

Why would you want one to fit inside they ask? Because someone like me might want to make an Obi-Wan EpI-style saber with the main hilt body at a smaller OD than the emitter. And yeah, because layers look cool.

Strydur
01-08-2007, 09:29 AM
One of my customers says they slide inside a MHS to sink tube adapter. I still havent tried it myself yet though.

Tenric Starkindler
01-08-2007, 07:55 PM
I had asked if they do or not.
I would love to know definitively if they will fit into the adapter or not as that would blow the possible designs WIDE open.

Strydur
01-09-2007, 12:25 AM
I just tested it and a 1.25" sink pipe fits nice and snug inside a MHS to sink tube adapter.

Tenric Starkindler
01-09-2007, 10:13 AM
nice !!!
I will be adding a few adapters to my months end order then!

Novastar
03-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Hi all... Novastar here (from Balance of Power)...

Tim was mentioning that one of his customers said that you can fit a 1.25" tube INSIDE the MHS 2 sink coupler... that would be me.

This leads to a thinner pipe below the emitter and so forth (and a slightly lighter overall weight), but chokepoints are usually best up near the emitter--where the forward hand goes. Anyhow.

I will say the following about this, though:

* You must sand the inside of the coupler--I recommend a drill w/ sander wheel, checking for a very tight but smooth fit every few sandings
* You should at least ATTEMPT to "thread" the tube where the coupler screw holes are. Do your best to get it right
* When you drill your holes in the sink tube, first drill and thread ONE hole, insert a screw, and then be precise on the rest!
* The drilling and threading WILL alter your super tight fit, so be aware of that...!
* If you are off by even a little bit--you will have some "rocking" going on with this setup. To control this, either get it right, or try to cushion the super thin gaps with something rubbery like electrical tape or what not.

I would only recommend this to people who know WHY they are doing it, and ONLY if there is good reason. Otherwise--you might be frustrated if you fail to be super precise in the sanding.

If you have some machine that can do it *EXACT*... well, you should be dandy fine. :)

iainm
08-31-2007, 08:40 AM
Hi all, it's been a long time but now I'm planning on making two more sabers - a regular and a short - as part of my Revan outfit. I want to give them both what I think is called a "Katana Wrap" of leather around the hilts. If I do this to a 1 1/2" tube the hilt will become too fat to handle properly. So, I want to use 1 1/4" tubes. My question here is this: are the MHS blade holders, MPS pommels and extension pieces compatible with the 1 1/4" tube? I want them to be LED sabers btw. The short one will have blade holder 4, the long saber will have blade holder 7. I haven't decided on the pommels yet.

I will purchase all the necessary electronics later when I've got my head round it all. Electronics baffle me. I need an Electronics for Idiots book. I will want a bronze LED (Heart of the Guardian crystal from KOTOR) in one and a Cyan LED (Mantle of the Force crystal) in the other plus a sound board and a rechargeable battery pack so I don't have to pull the sabers apart to replace dead batteries. Any help here would be appreciated - wiring and the number of AAA batteries to use etc. I also want a sliding switch mounted inside the hilt so it does not protrude. Ideas?

Thanks for all your help.

Iain

darthdan
08-31-2007, 12:52 PM
the sink tube question is answered in the first couple of posts in this thread.

look at the resistor chart to see how much battery each led needs. the soundboard you use will determine exactly how much juice you can run through it.

if you have space use aa's not aaa's. aaa's don't even supply enough current to adequately power some led's. some it will, most it won't.

look in the tutorials for how to wire up rechargeable packs and install recharge ports.

just mount the switch and sand down the nub. it won't really hurt it and you can make it as low profile as you want.

iainm
09-01-2007, 12:38 AM
Thanks for that Dan. I took the opportunity to look at The Dark Alliance site pics of your sabers. They are exactly what I was thinking of, in fact. The switches in the pommels are a brilliant idea. Just what I was looking for.

TorLinWaDur
10-25-2007, 07:46 PM
my MHS fits in a sink tube of 1.25" Inch
click here for video (http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/torlinwadur/Lightsaber/MHS-SinkTube/?action=view&current=MOV03641.flv)

ArkaiHalon
10-25-2007, 08:56 PM
I think your sink tube was mislabled. that's gotta be 1.5 inch for MHS to fit inside it like that. Weird.

Hasid Lafre
10-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Yeah thats a 1.5" sinktube. the 1.25" sinktube should slide inside the regular mhs sections.

TorLinWaDur
10-25-2007, 09:34 PM
oops my bad
1 1/2

Novastar
10-26-2007, 12:38 AM
Right. 1.5" tube.

An MHS absolutely DOES NOT fit into a 1.25" tube... for those reading and "tuning in" just now.

Hasid Lafre
10-26-2007, 08:11 AM
you mean 1.5" right? cause a 1.25" sinktube will fit inside an mhs.