PDA

View Full Version : Tapered (not bullet tip) blades ever attempted?

ANorris
01-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Hey guys. New guy here. After doing a bunch of searching all over the net to no avail, I was wondering if anyone had ever crafted a tapered light saber blade to look more like the movies. Now I'm not talking about a bullet tip, but a truly tapered blade that starts thick at the emitter and significantly smaller at the tip.

Here's a close-up of Darth Maul's blade. Other movie blade effects are similar of course.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/Spetsnaz13/BladeNew_1_zpsqclyuobm.jpg

I've contacted a few plastic companies who say that all they have is the cylindrical tubing, but nothing similar. I'm guessing a custom run would have to be pretty darn large to get a custom blade made.

I'm considering sculpting one out of wood and then casting it in resin. But that would be a ways off as I don't even have my first saber yet :) Resin wouldn't be great for dueling, but it might look nice and unique. Another method might be to heat thermoplastic around a mold for the right shape. That has it's own drawbacks of course.

Thoughts? Interest?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-03-2016, 04:26 PM
There have been attempts made through the years.

Also, There is no selling or runs allowed on this forum.

ANorris
01-03-2016, 05:09 PM
I read that. Sorry if the ending wording made it sound like I was offering something. That wasn't my intent. I won't even be attempting anything similar for a LONG time and probably wouldn't sell it anyway. :)

What other attempts have been made?

FenixFire
01-03-2016, 05:26 PM
A custom run would be difficult, as you would not be able to extrude it like the tubing currently used. Only options would be to machine from a solid piece of polycarbonate rod, this would leave it solid as it would be next to impossible to control a 40" long boring bit. Or injection molding, which at 40 in depth would require a custom injection molding machine, not to mention the long tooling and issue of breaking the long male portion of the mold that would form the hollow center. This is not just an opinion, it is based on 15 years of product design and development work.

Looking at my sons force fx blades look to be either blow molded clear PVC or PET based on the small parting line on the sides and the crimped tip, or possibly injection molded with a removable insert for a 3 part mold. The latter would produce the parting lines on the side of the blade.

Unless you have a magical non polyester based casting resin that would be one heavy blade in comparison, and while sturdy it would not provide much flex before breaking. An average male can generate up to 8000 psi in a blade swing motion...ever watch a bat hit a ball? A wood bat or composite 2 piece will bend 1-3 degrees, 1 piece aluminum bats will compress the barrel .125"-.25".

ANorris
01-03-2016, 05:57 PM
Interesting food for thought. Thank you for some really great perspective and information. Guess that explains why it doesn't exist.

ANorris
01-03-2016, 08:24 PM
If I was going to do it, I'd probably just do as a resin cast by sanding a wooden dowel to the desired shape, sanding another that would fit inside it, making a mold of them together, then filling the negative space with clear resin.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/Spetsnaz13/BladeNew_2_zpskgu7gasm.jpg

I've made similar molds before for anime bows that light up so I know that it can be done. It wouldn't be great for dueling, but it could look good for a prop piece. But again, this isn't something I'm offering or even going to do in the near future.