PDA

View Full Version : Custom Saber Sounboard Help

Sith91
12-27-2015, 12:47 AM
Has anyone that has successfully built a custom saber soundboard that is willing to share their idea? I've searched all over the internet and all I can find are some parts that people use but nothing about how they used them. I'm trying to build a custom board to complete the saber I'm making. Already bought the hilt parts and most of the electronics but I don't have 150 bucks to spend on a soundboard for a toy and even if I did they never seem to be in stock.

I know I'm running the risk of pissing people off for asking but is there a place that can walk me through how to build one? I have an arduino nano but I suck at using it. I can make a light come on and control motors and servos but as far as using SD cards and speakers I can't even get the basics down, much less make them work together.

Silver Serpent
12-27-2015, 09:02 AM
Most of the people who built their own boards did so for the challenge of it. Not to save money. All of the homebuilt sound boards that I've seen end up costing more than a premade, by the time you factor in R&D time, buying all the little parts, coding time, etc.

You would probably have better luck asking for help on Arduino forums. You'll find a lot more expertise with those boards over there.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-27-2015, 09:10 AM
You would probably have better luck asking for help on Arduino forums. You'll find a lot more expertise with those boards over there.

SS is right. The Arduino Forums is the place to go for the information you seek.

Sith91
12-27-2015, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the responses and tips. As far as I can tell, I have the parts necessary to do it with Arduino. So that wouldn't cost me much more. The problem is I'm horrible with code and I can't seem to find the information I need to code this particular function. I asked on arduino.cc and they weren't very helpful. They pretty much just told me they weren't going to do it for me. They would tell me if something was wrong with my code, but not how to fix it or where to learn how to fix it. I gave up on that forum. Thanks again though I'll keep looking. If I'm ever successful in my hunt I'll be sure to share it.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-27-2015, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the responses and tips. As far as I can tell, I have the parts necessary to do it with Arduino. So that wouldn't cost me much more. The problem is I'm horrible with code and I can't seem to find the information I need to code this particular function. I asked on arduino.cc and they weren't very helpful. They pretty much just told me they weren't going to do it for me. They would tell me if something was wrong with my code, but not how to fix it or where to learn how to fix it. I gave up on that forum. Thanks again though I'll keep looking. If I'm ever successful in my hunt I'll be sure to share it.

This Forum IS attached to a store that already sells soundboards.

Sith91
12-27-2015, 01:27 PM
This Forum IS attached to a store that already sells soundboards.

A great store. I love it. I bought a few things the other day :)
But the soundboards seem to be out of stock most of the time. And I was gonna try a cheaper option first before I drop another 60-150 on it. I'm building my first saber for myself to see if I even can. If I'm successful I wanted to make a few more for my little brothers and my wife wants one. Wouldn't be surprised if my dad wants one too. But that's way too much money for my wallet to dish out. If I can build my own it'll save me a lot of money. I already spent around 100 for my hilt pieces and some electronics. My little brothers have some broken hasbro sabers I could try to use but I was hoping for a more vibrant and realistic sound than that.
If I can't figure something out I'll probably cave and get one of the soundboards from the store and try it.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-27-2015, 01:41 PM
The boards are in and out of stock. Demand is high, so they don't stick around too long.

FenixFire
12-27-2015, 11:09 PM
No they are not, they charge $ to program custom code. The purpose of arduinos are to either learn to code basic functions, then progress to coding your own maker projects. My office is based in a technology center focusing on biomedical technology development. There are about 500 start ups all using arduinos as their electronics package. You will have to learn the coding if you want to do it. There is one individual I know who builds such arduinos, but you could buy a CF from this store for less than his programming fee...I've seen him send out a complete board for over $500, because the buyer wanted specific time delayed effects and control of 3 motors. Sad thing is he love programming and building PC boards from scratch, but hates starwars...don't know why I even associate with him;)

Learn on the hasbro boards and then move to the others when in stock.

CET
12-28-2015, 12:09 AM
My little brothers have some broken hasbro sabers I could try to use but I was hoping for a more vibrant and realistic sound than that.
If I can't figure something out I'll probably cave and get one of the soundboards from the store and try it.

Those cheap Hasbro sound boards are great. You can't do custom sounds, but with a premium speaker and light from TCSS, and a PNP transistor, you can get a good saber. I just finished one for my girlfriend and it turned out great. Loud, bright and battle ready!

xl97
12-28-2015, 09:12 AM
There was/is a thread here where they started to talk about this.. and has a link (I believe) to the Arduino forum post.. where they are all talking about this.. and even posting code and what specific boards to buy/use..

Start there and use the code that is shared there as well. If you have problems.. post in that thread on the Arduino.cc forums..

You dont need to share.. most people know about this, and as mentioned. this forum is connected to a store front, we dont want to push people to buy things elsewhere.

in the end (for you) I dont think you'll save much since you'll have to still buy components, and the time/frustration you might have getting set-up. but thats up to you to decide.

Sith91
01-01-2016, 01:04 AM
Those cheap Hasbro sound boards are great. You can't do custom sounds, but with a premium speaker and light from TCSS, and a PNP transistor, you can get a good saber. I just finished one for my girlfriend and it turned out great. Loud, bright and battle ready!

I actually just gutted a Hasbro Darth Vader saber that my little brothers had. It sounded pretty good and I have a speaker and LED on the way from TCSS. I figured I'd start with that. What is the PNP transistor for?

in the end (for you) I dont think you'll save much since you'll have to still buy components, and the time/frustration you might have getting set-up. but thats up to you to decide.

Yeah I tinkered with arduino for a bit and I couldn't get sound out of it. LEDs, buttons and sensor readings weren't a problem but I couldn't get the SD card reader to work at all. But I'm not very experienced in coding. The parts are cheap but like you said the time it would take me to figure it out and get the sound responses right would be exhausting.

Thanks for the advice

CET
01-01-2016, 02:14 AM
What is the PNP transistor for?

Without the PNP transistor, most of the power goes into the soundboard, leaving you with a weak LED.

Sith91
01-02-2016, 06:15 PM
I did not know that. Thanks for the tip.