PDA

View Full Version : Teach me questions

RonB
12-23-2015, 08:48 PM
Hello all,
I have a few quick questions on wiring if you don't mind. I typically build RC aircraft, so all this electrical stuff is fascinating to me. In an RC build a 10% cushion/buffer from battery to say resistor or motor, is common. I noticed that isn't the case in saber builds. Why not?
My other questions:
Is over "ohm-ing"/ adding that buffer, bad for the LED?
Is the only "downside" a dimmer blade?
Why are Li-ion batteries the main choice? Li-Po seems much more popular. Or is that an RC bias?
That's it for now, I'm sure I'll think of more questions in 10 min or so.
Thanks!

Silver Serpent
12-24-2015, 06:23 AM
We try to get our resistors as close to the proper value as possible. Sometimes we'll "under-ohm" a little bit (use a slightly lower value resistor) in order to overdrive the LED. Brightness is a huge draw for many sabersmiths. Using a higher ohm value than is needed will dim the blade.

Li-ion is chosen for its durability. Sabers take a good deal of impact. A damaged cell in a RC aircraft or vehicle can catch fire and/or explode. This will typically result in the loss of the RC device. A fire/explosion in a lightsaber can result in the loss of a hand. Prosthetic hands aren't quite up to the level of Star Wars yet, so trying to get an accurate Luke or Vader cosplay isn't a good idea. ;)

Seriously though, the li-ions are more durable when subjected to repeated impacts. I still charge them on a fireproof surface, and remove the batteries for charging if the saber was designed for it.

RonB
12-24-2015, 06:50 AM
We try to get our resistors as close to the proper value as possible. Sometimes we'll "under-ohm" a little bit (use a slightly lower value resistor) in order to overdrive the LED. Brightness is a huge draw for many sabersmiths. Using a higher ohm value than is needed will dim the blade.

Li-ion is chosen for its durability. Sabers take a good deal of impact. A damaged cell in a RC aircraft or vehicle can catch fire and/or explode. This will typically result in the loss of the RC device. A fire/explosion in a lightsaber can result in the loss of a hand. Prosthetic hands aren't quite up to the level of Star Wars yet, so trying to get an accurate Luke or Vader cosplay isn't a good idea. ;)

Seriously though, the li-ions are more durable when subjected to repeated impacts. I still charge them on a fireproof surface, and remove the batteries for charging if the saber was designed for it.

Thanks for the reply SS. Now I know. "And knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe