PDA

View Full Version : Part Help

Sidious' Wrinkles
12-13-2015, 11:20 PM
Hi friends - I previously posted my parts list in the parts list sections, but was lacking the proper battery type and resistor.
After numerous hours of browsing and reading threads I believe I have the parts. Please help correct me if I'm wrong.

Going for Tri-Cree R/R/W with NB V2 Sound with FOC.
------------------------------------------
I believe I'll need:

- an 18650 cell holder/battery. (Should be enough right?)

- Power Extender 2.0 (for FOC)

- 2x .47ohm .5w resistor (For the Red LEDs)

- 1ohm 2w resistor (For White LED)

------------------------------------------
My main concerns are getting the resistors and battery type right. Especially when you don't know much. :p

Was fighting myself to not give up earlier - was gonna just order a saberforge or US, but NO....
I won't give up on this. I want to do the work and have a unique, personal product.
I built my PC, so I know I can do this. Plus my friends will be jelly. :cool:

Thanks to all who contribute. It means a lot.

The dream: 12566

Generic Jedi
12-13-2015, 11:38 PM
The .47 Ohm .5 Watt resistors are good for green and blue Cree LEDs, if your battery is 3.7 volts. They aren't big enough for red Cree LEDs.

The calculation is: Resistor = (supply voltage - LED forward voltage) / current

Your supply voltage you get from the battery (in this case 3.7 volts). You get the LED forward voltage from the store page for the LED. Current is how many amps you want to drive the LED at (all Crees can be run 1000 mA which is 1 Amp).

darth_chasm
12-13-2015, 11:40 PM
You can keep your posts together in the same thread. It'll be easier for you and us to track things down.

18650 is perfect. Your resistors are a bit off. For the Reds you want the 1.2ohm and the white you want a 1ohm.

red: (3.7-2.59)/1 = 1.11 round up to the 1.2

white: (3.7-3.15)/1 = 0.55 round up to 1

Edit: GJ beat me to it :)

Sidious' Wrinkles
12-13-2015, 11:52 PM
Thanks GJ and Chasm. But was I right about the white resistor; I did say 1ohm.

Now it's just the question 1ohm 2W or 1ohm 5W resistor?
The only 1.2 resistor I'll need for each red cree LED is 3W, so go with the 2W for the white?
Just glad these resistors are dirt cheap!!

Generic Jedi
12-14-2015, 12:12 AM
The wattage measures how much heat the resitor can dissipate. The 2 watt is fine.

No worries Darth Chasm, you usually beat me (don't know how to do smiley faces...)