PDA

View Full Version : Unstable Effects - Translucent glitter paint on inside of blade?

FenixFire
12-07-2015, 11:02 AM
In thinking of ways to get an unstable arcing appearance to my son's blade (fit the story behind his character), I was thinking of possibly adding translucent glitter paint to the interior of the blade. In theory the glitter should give random "hot" spots to the light, while the thickness variations of the frosted clear should give random "cool" spots. Has anyone ever tried this? I have had luck using clear and matte finishes on prototypes especially SLA printed prototypes over the years, but don't want to ruin a perfectly good blade if someone has allready tried and failed.

darth_chasm
12-07-2015, 11:37 AM
I found out by accident that the saw dust produced from shortening your blade will create hot spots. I absentmindedly shot canned air in the wrong direction :)

I'll post a pic tonight when I get a chance.

FenixFire
12-07-2015, 12:06 PM
I found out by accident that the saw dust produced from shortening your blade will create hot spots. I absentmindedly shot canned air in the wrong direction :)

I'll post a pic tonight when I get a chance.

Interesting, I have a lot of acrylic chips/dust from fabricating trade show display cases.

BTW, a good way to temporarily kill the static on acrylic is to use unscented fabric softener sheets on the acrylic tubes/sheets. I use Hunter's Specialties brand.

noslenpar
12-07-2015, 12:30 PM
Glitter is usually made of reflective opaque material, it reflects light, but light doesn't go through it. Illuminated from behind, as in a blade, I think it would look like dark spots. I like the acrylic chip/dust idea, gotta try that. Post photos if you try it.
One thing I've thought of before but never tried is to wrinkle the cellophane a little bit. Playing around with the direction and amount of wrinkles might create brighter veins.

darth_chasm
12-07-2015, 01:05 PM
Just thought of this. Fishing line may have an interesting effect, possibly creating streaks.

FenixFire
12-07-2015, 02:44 PM
I did come across a DIY thread in a magazine (either PM or Wired) article from the 90's that detailed using an acrylic rod with 10lb clear monofilament fishing line wrapped tightly around the rod as a diffuser inside the hollow tube of the blade. The article said it gave a bright core look to the "new" hilt projected light source. I wonder if this is where the Corbin film got its origin.

Noslenpar.

Good point on the opaque glitter. I was actually thinking of using an iridescent cellophane glitter (sometimes used for model railroad snow), that way it is semi-translucent and reflective. I did not think of the crincled film though...good idea. I was going to dremen etch the exterior of the blade as well as possibly adding "3D" arcs of acrylic rod using a pulled glass method to form the arcs, and bond them to the blade using acrylic solvent so the light-piping properties remains. Though the later will not be on our initial build of his saber...because of the time required it will wait until we build a more finished version with a CF board.

darth_chasm
12-07-2015, 04:58 PM
Here's the dust. Mind you, it's not a lot and it's much more pronounced in person.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/mditomo/A99ACFA5-AE47-44A6-9F45-D34036323C33_zpsmaaahlqv.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/mditomo/media/A99ACFA5-AE47-44A6-9F45-D34036323C33_zpsmaaahlqv.jpg.html)

noslenpar
12-07-2015, 06:56 PM
tried wrinkled film this evening, didn't work. I tried it on cellophane and the blade film that Tim sells in the store. Neither had any effect.
etching into the plastic might be the best way to do it, similar to this other tread recent thread:
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?17372-Dark-blade-prototype-blades&highlight=dark+blade

snilam
12-07-2015, 07:49 PM
I've seen people use clear hot glue recently to create the unstable blade effect. I'm more of a traditionalist my self and like a clean looking blade.

Jonitus
12-08-2015, 01:55 AM
Way back in the day before we were using clear cellophane in sabers, I experimented with all kinds of other materials including acetate, clear mylar film, etc. I tried Shoji paper once and because it was a natural product, there were fibers running in different directions that gave the lit blade an "interesting" look. No pics, sorry since that was a long, long time ago. I got my paper from eBay I think and it wasn't very pricey. Might be something for you to consider.

FenixFire
12-17-2015, 12:25 AM
I've seen people use clear hot glue recently to create the unstable blade effect. I'm more of a traditionalist my self and like a clean looking blade.

Personally I am too. But When my son came to me asking me to teach him to use the mill and lathe he had this story about this young boy who watched an inquisitor kill his father who was a Jedi but kept it hidden even from him. During the battle his fathers lightsaber was crushed including the crystal. He became so angry that he unknowingly used the force to reassemble the saber and fuse the crystal together long enough to strike down the unsuspecting inquisitor....after years of self learning he managed to construct his own lightsaber hidden within a blaster pistol using the dark side anger fused fractured crystal...hence the unstable arcing blade. Only his story took over 20 minutes to tell.

Darth Nurse
12-17-2015, 12:33 PM
My unstable blade from Ripper Blades has blade material dust in it as part of the effect.

CET
12-17-2015, 01:17 PM
Just thought of this. Fishing line may have an interesting effect, possibly creating streaks.

That's freakin brilliant! Maybe a glue spray on the inside of the blade, shake in short fishing line cuttings (different test weights maybe), let dry and add corbin wrap. I may have to get a blade to run this little experiment!

My unstable blade from Ripper Blades has blade material dust in it as part of the effect.

I was just thinking about Ripper's unstable blade! His stuff is usually made from acrylic instead of PC, but I don't see why it couldn't still work with PC.

FenixFire
12-17-2015, 01:30 PM
That's freakin brilliant! Maybe a glue spray on the inside of the blade, shake in short fishing line cuttings (different test weights maybe), let dry and add corbin wrap. I may have to get a blade to run this little experiment!

I was just thinking about Ripper's unstable blade! His stuff is usually made from acrylic instead of PC, but I don't see why it couldn't still work with PC.

Or use a PC blade and get a small piece of Acrylic to saw up to generate dust and ships. That way the chips will have the acrylics light properties while the blade has the strength. I am glad I posed the question, this has been a fun brainstorming session.

Jonitus
12-17-2015, 01:42 PM
When the conversion kit for the Kylo Ren comes out, I'm sure lots of people will want to experiment with this unstable blade effect.

Darth Nurse
12-17-2015, 02:46 PM

This is a PC blade.

Miraluka
12-19-2015, 12:39 AM
Yeah his round blades are PC, the flat blades are usually acrylic but he makes some PC, too.