PDA

View Full Version : New Builder Needs Instructions For Hilt

357hermon
12-02-2015, 09:46 AM
Brand new builder here. I have a hilt already built. Was going to disassemble a Hasbro saber and put all the electronics in it with no blade. Now I've found out you can build all these sabers with extraordinary parts and a blade. So with the 1" PVC hilt (see attached), what would you guys recommend buying? I know absolutely nothing of what to get for this build. I would like a 40" blade, purple light, and sounds would be a plus. Between the O-rings will be a leather wrap. I'd like the trigger button to go on the front of the tube (The top of the hilt is on the bottom left of both pictures). Paint will come after everything is together of course. From each end is 11.5".

So if someone could send me a simple list or recommendations, that would be fantastic.

HowieHobbit
12-02-2015, 10:54 AM
Brand new builder here. I have a hilt already built. Was going to disassemble a Hasbro saber and put all the electronics in it with no blade. Now I've found out you can build all these sabers with extraordinary parts and a blade. So with the 1" PVC hilt (see attached), what would you guys recommend buying? I know absolutely nothing of what to get for this build. I would like a 40" blade, purple light, and sounds would be a plus. Between the O-rings will be a leather wrap. I'd like the trigger button to go on the front of the tube (The top of the hilt is on the bottom left of both pictures). Paint will come after everything is together of course. From each end is 11.5".

So if someone could send me a simple list or recommendations, that would be fantastic.

To be honest, we wouldn't have an idea what to get either as a saber is a rather personal tool and so it really does depend what you want.

In terms of the electronics, you'll want a momentary switch. Look up some of the econoboard posts which will give you more if an idea with the electronics and additional components you might need....for example an LED.

If the hilt is 1" in diameter, I'd be tempted to scrap it and start again as most "blades" are 1" in diameter on themselves and therefore you would want to start off with something more than 1". I believe the hilt tubes themselves at TCSS are 1.45" OD to give you a rough idea.

HowieHobbit
12-02-2015, 10:58 AM
Oh....and watch Rob's YouTube video on basic saber builds too on the TCSS channel as they give you a pretty good idea about parts and you can improvise from there.

357hermon
12-02-2015, 11:06 AM
Check out the link below. At the end of the comments the builder confirms he used 1" pvc and a 1" blade. If a blade still won't work, I'd like to utilize everything else and project a light at least.

https://thecreativesideoftheforce.wordpress.com/2012/03/21/how-i-build-a-pvc-lightsaber/

rlobrecht
12-02-2015, 11:34 AM
1" schedule 40 PVC is 1" ID, so the blade should fit inside.

Silver Serpent
12-02-2015, 12:12 PM
That's correct. Measurements on PVC typically refer to the ID (internal diameter), while the polycarbonate blades are measured by their OD (outside diameter). A 1" blade fits snugly in a 1" PVC pipe. Some sanding or shimming may be required.

This is an old post, but the basics still hold true for today. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?3266-Jay-gon-s-PVC-Hilts-Full-tutorial-on-last-page&p=138540&viewfull=1#post138540 Adjust things as necessary to use more modern electronics. There are several threads and tutorials for using scavenged sound boards here on the forums.

357hermon
12-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Out of curiousity, would this idea work (see link), but can I get everything connected and put it in through the top of the tube then connect the blade? There's not really a way to put it in the bottom with that curve.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?18383-Video-Basic-Saber-with-Sound-STYLE-2

HowieHobbit
12-02-2015, 02:06 PM
Ah....the bane of my life! Working out whether something means ID or OD!!!

357hermon
12-02-2015, 03:23 PM
Okay, so I have a very small list of what I want:

-12mm Anti Vandal Momentary Purple Ring Switch
-LED "Corbin style" Battle blade 1" OD Corb1Battle
-Premium 28mm Speaker
-Nano Biscotte Sound Module V2

Some items are from that video I posted above... http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?18383-Video-Basic-Saber-with-Sound-STYLE-2

Problem is, his interior work is fitted for an internal hilt larger than 1". I would like the light to be purple and the battery pack to be rechargeable.

Can anyone recommend a simple list using the items and ideas above to complete this?

Miraluka
12-02-2015, 09:26 PM
These things that you want are possible, you just need to figure out how you're going to cram it all in there. Although you'll probably want a 20mm speaker instead of the 28mm.

Just as an FYI, the 18650 battery holder fits nice & snug into the 1" PVC and you really don't need to do anything to secure that, you just need something to mount the speaker on and (if you want) something to hold the NB.

If you reeeaaaally want a chassis, you could 3D model one to suit your needs.

Also... for a purple blade, you're probably going to want to get yourself a tri cree or tri rebel red/royal blue/green or red/royal blue/white.

357hermon
12-03-2015, 06:20 AM
Here is the updated list thus far:

-12mm Anti Vandal Momentary Purple Ring Switch
-LED "Corbin style" Battle blade 1" OD Corb1Battle
-2w 20mm Speaker2WMINI
-Nano Biscotte Sound Module V2
-18650 Single Cell Holder 18650H
-Covertec Clip BeltClip
-Black machined button for Covertec clip Bmbutton
-Luxeon Tri-Rebel red/royal blue/white

What else am I going to need? Wires and types?

Silver Serpent
12-03-2015, 09:56 AM
The wire sold in the store here is excellent. Either the 24 gauge or the 26 gauge will do the job just fine.

You'll also want resistors for your switch LED and your main LEDs. See here for how to calculate your resistor values: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?17109-Tutorial-FJK-s-quot-Down-and-Dirty-quot-guide-to-Ohm-s-Law

357hermon
12-03-2015, 12:11 PM
Silver Serpent- I've checked out the link in your signature. The switch LED has two numbers whereas the Wizard calls for three to calculate correctly. Am I also suppose to add all numbers from switch LEDs and main LEDs together to get one resistor or am I suppose to get two resistors for each LED?

Cire Yeldarb
12-03-2015, 12:18 PM
the third number is the voltage of the battery setup you are using

and it is easiest to get one resistor for each LED you have

357hermon
12-03-2015, 01:18 PM
Okay so it's looking like 'The wizard recommends a 1/8W or greater 39 ohm resistor. The color code for 39 ohms is orange white black.' is for the switch LED. I'm getting the -Li-Ion 18650 3.7V 2600mAh PCB Protected Rechargeable Battery Module S18650P.

Let me first start by saying thank you to you all for everything so far. I have no technological knowledge of this sort. Please let me know if I'm overstepping my boundaries with my requests.

With that being said, isn't the Luxeon Tri-Rebel red/royal blue/white my blade LED? If so, how do I find the resistor for that?

darth_chasm
12-03-2015, 02:18 PM
Go to the single rebel product page. There you'll find the forward voltage and max current for each color. Use those numbers in your calculations.

Greenie
12-03-2015, 02:27 PM
If you check the specifications for your blade LEDs in the store, they will give you the forward voltage values. Subtract that from your battery voltage and that is the value of V in ohms law. Also, some people calculate the switch led resistor but I used the 20mA dynaohm in the store and it does the job fine. If you choose that option, note the dynaohm has a + and - ie power to the + and the - to the led.

357hermon
12-10-2015, 07:16 AM
I'm getting the "LED "Corbin style" Battle blade 1" OD Corb1Battle" to get started. How do I mount it properly? I just want to get the blade to start and whatever mounting pieces necessary.

357hermon
12-10-2015, 02:56 PM
Never mind that question. I know the blade needs to be in the PVC at least 2" with a retention screw. I want the "12mm Anti Vandal Momentary Purple Ring Switch" and somehow make the light purple. That is all. Battery pack, wires and how many, LED, etc.

357hermon
12-11-2015, 11:48 AM
Here's the hilt thus far...12545

I know I'm a "noob" and apologies for my persistence.