PDA

View Full Version : PRIZM Restarting During Duel/ RICE Issue

tnkguns
11-23-2015, 09:52 AM
I have several PRIZM builds and I am having a slight issue here.

1. When dueling, sometimes the saber shuts off and restarts itself. I have no issues with any of the resistors or wiring, I did not know if it was a voltage drop with the single cell and I always remove the battery and then charge it. I am using a 14500 Trustfire 3.7v single sell with a dummy cell in the other hold. Anyone else experience this?

2. When using RICE, I cannot get the sound bank to ever change. I see it tell me I am in #1, but there is no changer next to the sound bank number. Anyone know what is happening there? I have found that if I take out the SD Card, and rename whatever folder as Bank 1 it will read that folder, so that is what I have been doing.

darth_chasm
11-23-2015, 11:16 AM
Maybe a short somewhere?

Once you select a new bank on the saber and hit the Read Config button in RICE it should update to the current bank.

tnkguns
11-23-2015, 11:27 AM
I canNOT see a new bank on the saber. I see NOTHING there, but the outline of a box to the left of where it tells me my sound bank. I have to rename it in order to get it to read and I can only read bank 1.

I have 3 on the sd card. When I change the folder to read as bank 1, it works, but I cannot see any other bank on the card.

darth_chasm
11-23-2015, 11:54 AM
So I understand. You're selecting a new bank via the Aux switch and clicking the Read Config button and it does not update to the new bank?

tnkguns
11-23-2015, 12:11 PM
When I connect the cable, I can hit the connect button a few times and ech shows up. I can make my changes and then save to sb. When I go to hold the aux button and it beeps, nothing changes on the sb side of things. That is my issue.
Along with it restarting...

darth_chasm
11-23-2015, 01:58 PM
Hmm. I'm not sure. Maybe FJK or someone else has a better idea. Have you reformatted the card each time you make an edit?

As for the restarting, other than a short, maybe your battery is getting knocked loose? I've seen people say that dueling sabers should have the battery hard wired.

Silver Serpent
11-23-2015, 02:08 PM
Batteries in battery holders can temporarily lose connection during vigorous dueling. Hard wired battery packs are best in sabers with sound.

tnkguns
11-23-2015, 04:10 PM
I got the RICE all figured out as I downloaded a new driver for the TCSS cable and all is well.

So what you are saying is that I should just run one of these?

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Li-Ion-18500-37V-1400mAh-PCB-Protected-Rechargeable-Battery-Module-P775.aspx

Cut the +and - from the 2 AA pack and wire in a JST for this?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
11-23-2015, 04:11 PM
I got the RICE all figured out as I downloaded a new driver for the TCSS cable and all is well.

So what you are saying is that I should just run one of these?

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Li-Ion-18500-37V-1400mAh-PCB-Protected-Rechargeable-Battery-Module-P775.aspx

Cut the +and - from the 2 AA pack and wire in a JST for this?

Yes. Or, you can use an 18650 if you have the room, and you'll get more runtime in return.

tnkguns
11-23-2015, 04:18 PM
Okay, so I am new to all that...

Basically, I need a 18650, 18650 single holder, 18650 PCB to wire and protect it all up...OR do I just jst it from the sound board to the battery without any protection? Sounds like a bad idea and a PCB would be necessary.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
11-23-2015, 04:24 PM
Okay, so I am new to all that...

Basically, I need a 18650, 18650 single holder, 18650 PCB to wire and protect it all up...OR do I just jst it from the sound board to the battery without any protection? Sounds like a bad idea and a PCB would be necessary.

If you are using something like the pre-made pack you just posted, the PCB is built in (that's what protected means). You also won't need a special holder, though you will need some type of chassis to prevent it all from rattling around inside your hilt.

tnkguns
11-23-2015, 04:27 PM
I also do not have the room in there for an 18650, I just measured both sabers.

GOT IT! Thank you for the answer. I will see if I can stuff the 18500 inside a 2A pack. I will hollow it out some...

Forgetful Jedi Knight
11-23-2015, 04:30 PM
You can't. They're only made for the 14500's ;)

tnkguns
11-23-2015, 04:34 PM
Never tell a Marine he can't. It shall be done. I will mill the entire inside out and secure it inside there with some tape. It will be all good. I will not need any of the guts anyways.

Silver Serpent
11-23-2015, 09:13 PM
Velcro straps would be preferable to tape. Tape tends to get loose and gummy when the battery heats up during recharging.