PDA

View Full Version : Where best to mount speaker

Matthew_D_G
11-23-2015, 09:41 AM
I'm looking to add sound to my new saber and I'm not to sure where it would be best to mount the speaker.

Should I mount it in the pommel or would mounting it higher up in the main body (between the main body and the choke)
be better?
Might have more resonance mounting higher up?

What do you folks think?

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/Matthew_D_G/IMG_1761%20-%20Copy_zps4zzrn0z0.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/Matthew_D_G/media/IMG_1761%20-%20Copy_zps4zzrn0z0.jpg.html)

rlh14
11-23-2015, 09:47 AM
Personally I have my speaker about 1.36 inches from the bottom own my saber, and that seems to give me a good enough sound for my taste. Although keep in mind I'm still new to the saber building scene :). I would just take about my pieces and experiment as needed. Maybe someone else with more experience can comment. Best of luck.

clahey83
11-23-2015, 10:10 AM
if its a newer pommel (it would have the same inner diameter as the main hilt piece) you can use a chassis disk style 5 and a speaker holder style 4 and basically mount the speaker inside of the pommel. (the chassis disk would go in the pommel end of the choke with the speaker facing out)

Greenie
11-23-2015, 01:35 PM
My speaker is in the pommel, which seems to be pretty standard. Although it sounds good, ever since reading a thread on 'reverse sound' I kinda agree that it's the blade end that should emit the hum of a lightsaber. I'm now working on my second build and will be mounting a 20mm speaker in the 'choke' area facing front. I've yet to hear how it sounds, guess I'll find out and pass on what I have learned :)

Matthew_D_G
11-23-2015, 01:49 PM
Now that sounds like an interesting read Greenie, can you remember the name of the thread?
I really like the concept of having the sound come from the blade end.

Wonder if anyone has tried running 2 speakers? 1 in the pommel and 1 in the choke?

Greenie
11-23-2015, 02:10 PM
Now that sounds like an interesting read Greenie, can you remember the name of the thread?
I really like the concept of having the sound come from the blade end.

Wonder if anyone has tried running 2 speakers? 1 in the pommel and 1 in the choke?

I can't remember off the top of my head but I'm gonna have a search. I sure someone will jump in with the link before I find it ;)
I think that maybe discussed in the same thread. Definitely an interesting idea :mrgreen:

ColdVizjerei
11-23-2015, 02:34 PM
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?18711-Snilam-s-Frankenflex

This guy had a dual speaker setup, although both speakers were in the crystal chamber instead of 1 in the pommel and 1 in the choke like you described

snilam
11-23-2015, 05:31 PM
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?18711-Snilam-s-Frankenflex

This guy had a dual speaker setup, although both speakers were in the crystal chamber instead of 1 in the pommel and 1 in the choke like you described

Thats mine! ;) but anyway speaker in pommel is the standard it just the easiest way about it. Whenever you put the speaker anywhere else you have to negotiate wire around your speaker. Depending on how many wires that is and what gauge the harder that can be. As far as realism goes I think reverse sound would be the most realistic but not always feasable for all builds. If you do go in pommel the further away from the opening you go the more pronounced the bass will be but you will sacrifice clarity. I think and this is just a guess, if you were to put you speaker way up past the choke you would get a really muffled sound its just so deep in the hilt you might want to vent your hilt closer to the speaker. Also with you pommel so far down the hilt it may sound kinda weird having you sound coming so far from the main part of the hilt.

Greenie
11-24-2015, 02:30 PM
Here's that thread that got me thinking...
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?15043-placing-speaker-by-blade-emitter

Matthew_D_G
11-24-2015, 03:10 PM
Many thanks Greenie, this just made my build a lot more complicated/interesting lol

Greenie
11-24-2015, 03:31 PM
Many thanks Greenie, this just made my build a lot more complicated/interesting lol

Oh yes, mine was proving to be a challenge, but a fun one. Now I have to decide, aesthetically, how to vent it :idea:

MusicallyInspired
02-10-2016, 07:31 AM
What if you used a small windowed extension just before the blade holder where the sound could escape from?

Wrecker
05-17-2016, 05:09 PM
I'm looking at the graflex blade holder adapter in the store. It looks like it's got enough space to pipe sound up to about the emitter thanks to the two slots above the glass eye section. I think this idea could work on my vintage if I managed to design it properly.

jbkuma
05-17-2016, 06:02 PM
I was having the same sort of debate, as a blade facing speaker seems more "realistic." Here's a progress shot of my first serious build (need to finish machining the actual dividing brass piece and some other details). My current debate is a blade facing speaker in the grip section facing the cloth wrapped portion. I can drill holes in the central hilt material that would be hidden by the cloth wrap, but may hurt the durability of the blade. I'm not sure it'll ever see any dramatic dueling, so I'm not sure I care.

YoRn Mangers
05-17-2016, 09:09 PM
Speaking from the point-of-view of someone who went to school of sound design. The two speaker approach shows alot of merit. Moving the pommel speaker further up the hilt will give much better resonance of the bass and be balanced out by the speaker in the emitter. Using the 2W 28mm bass speaker in the store will give you even more boom (This is especially useful if you're making a Sith saber). You would most definitely need to make sound holes at the emitter end, otherwise you'll just have a muddy mess.

Also, you will need to play around with how far up the hilt you want your bass speaker depending on the sound your looking for. Think of it like balancing your stereo speakers.

On a more technical note. Keep in mind making the sound hole(s) in the emitter end will create a weak point if you plan on dueling with this saber. Also, make sure the sound board you're using can handle running two speakers. Remember it's a matter of ohms, every speaker you tie in reduces the number of ohms by half. Not enough, and you will short out the whole thing.