PDA

View Full Version : Color mixing question (kinda)

Old Stormtrooper
11-18-2015, 06:30 PM
This is probably an odd question: Has anyone tried to do an Opal color?

I've been studying the manual for a CF 7.5 (trying to come as close to memorizing it if I can so I'll be ready when they are back in stock), when I noticed my wife's Opal necklace and I wondered if that "effect" could be achieved using an RGBW setup and playing with the settings for pulse (pulsel and pulsed), flicker (flks and flkd) and maybe the shimmer effect from a clash (shmrd, shmrp, shmrr and shmr%)?

It sounds very time consuming to even attempt to find the right combo (if it's even possible). I may attempt it when I can get the stuff...

Any thoughts?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
11-18-2015, 07:08 PM
An opal color is a like a glittery white as I recall. I think the "glitter" part will disqualify the possibility of that color, unless you want to have loose glitter in your blade, and shake it all the time.

Sevinzol
11-19-2015, 12:35 AM
There might be a way to program the LED to switch colors very fast along with the pulse setting, but It will not give you an opalescent effect. The blade will still be monochromatic for each unit of time.

I googled "holographic glitter tape". It might give you a similar effect to opals but I think it will cut down on the light transmission a lot, if not completely.

Maybe you could modify a Star Shower (http://www.walmart.com/ip/46327975?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227034717174&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=76883229392&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=149617309952&veh=sem) but it would probably look like a disco saber.

A saber is supposed to be a plasma weapon. The blade is a self perpetuating force field that contains something equivalent to the material of the sun's corona or a bolt of lightning. The closest thing in the real world is a plasma cutter (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_cutting). Ionized atoms give off light at specific frequencies based on the element (this is part of quantum mechanics) good examples are street lights (mercury or sodium vapor). The nature of a light saber blade precludes polychromatism.

Old Stormtrooper
11-19-2015, 08:22 AM
An opal color is a like a glittery white as I recall. I think the "glitter" part will disqualify the possibility of that color, unless you want to have loose glitter in your blade, and shake it all the time.

That almost sounds fun. :D

Old Stormtrooper
11-19-2015, 08:29 AM
There might be a way to program the LED to switch colors very fast along with the pulse setting, but It will not give you an opalescent effect. The blade will still be monochromatic for each unit of time.

I googled "holographic glitter tape". It might give you a similar effect to opals but I think it will cut down on the light transmission a lot, if not completely.

Maybe you could modify a Star Shower (http://www.walmart.com/ip/46327975?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227034717174&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=76883229392&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=149617309952&veh=sem) but it would probably look like a disco saber.

A saber is supposed to be a plasma weapon. The blade is a self perpetuating force field that contains something equivalent to the material of the sun's corona or a bolt of lightning. The closest thing in the real world is a plasma cutter (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_cutting). Ionized atoms give off light at specific frequencies based on the element (this is part of quantum mechanics) good examples are street lights (mercury or sodium vapor). The nature of a light saber blade precludes polychromatism.

I started to think about this last night after I posted. Is there an optical illusion (timed sequence) to make the eye "see" the effect? Sort of like looking at a car driving, and the wheels look like they are going backwards.

I thought about the "glitter mylar" stuff that you can get as wrapping paper. Not concerning the light brightness drop, I think it might make the blade look "blotchy".

sgcdialler
11-19-2015, 08:32 AM
I played around with this idea for a few hours on my RGrB CF saber after I saw this thread. I mixed a primary blade color that is sort of a slightly-blue pearly white, and then started manipulating the flicker and pulse settings. The constant, deep variations in the LED power caused by those settings does cause random flashes of the other colors. It doesn't actually glitter, obviously, but it's actually a pretty neat effect.

Old Stormtrooper
11-19-2015, 08:37 AM
I played around with this idea for a few hours on my RGrB CF saber after I saw this thread. I mixed a primary blade color that is sort of a slightly-blue pearly white, and then started manipulating the flicker and pulse settings. The constant, deep variations in the LED power caused by those settings does cause random flashes of the other colors. It doesn't actually glitter, obviously, but it's actually a pretty neat effect.

Sounds cool!