PDA

View Full Version : New lightsaber builder

HowieHobbit
11-16-2015, 08:46 AM
Right, so I thought I'd update you guys!!

I have actually managed to build my own lightsaber - designed from a drain pipe construction as the MHS parts I wanted were not in stock. I have had some success with it, and it looks good for a display point of view, so I'm actually quite proud of myself for having come up with one completely from scratch!

Here's a short video I've put up just to show it in action. The sound isn't the loudest, but I'm happy with it form a home build to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuKVlVW1esQ&feature=youtu.be

I've also manage to find a lot of parts which I wanted in stock now, and so have actually ordered all the parts I need to construct my first MHS lightsaber!!! YAY.

Here's a render of it from the MHS builder.

In other news, waiting for Tim to get back to me on this, but I made the n00b mistake of ordering without checking I have all the accessories I need. Do you think it's possible for a couple more items to be ordered and then simply added together to my pending order to be shipped out, otherwise postage to the UK costs an arm and a leg.

Thanks.

Howie

Silver Serpent
11-16-2015, 08:50 AM
Send Tim an email. He doesn't normally combine separate orders as it would quickly become a logistical nightmare, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

HowieHobbit
11-16-2015, 09:35 AM
Send Tim an email. He doesn't normally combine separate orders as it would quickly become a logistical nightmare, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks Silver! I'll drop Tim an email. I wouldn't mind if postage was cheaper, but the postage would cost me more than the actual additional items I need!!! *sigh* Why can't we have a UK base for TCSS too? lol.

darth_chasm
11-16-2015, 10:24 AM
Have you tried JQ Sabers? The sell TCSS items in the UK.

Silver Serpent
11-16-2015, 11:08 AM
You can also send Tim a note for "cheapest possible" shipping for small parts orders. He has a few options for small orders that are just difficult for the store software to handle automatically.

HowieHobbit
11-18-2015, 03:55 AM
I've emailed Tim and he managed to add the parts onto my existing order - thanks for the advice Silver!

My question now is wondering how long it would take before the order is shipped. I have asked for a switch hole to be drilled into my hilt, as well as for the blade retention screw to be put in.

Any recent experiences of processing times to dispatch, guys?

Many thanks.

Silver Serpent
11-18-2015, 05:59 AM
Honestly, that would depend on how many other orders he has ahead of you. Custom work can take up to two weeks, but it's typically a lot faster than that.

Remulos
11-18-2015, 07:21 AM
I ordered some powder coating and drill & tap on a piece on the 30th October and added 4 or 5 items to that (no work needed) using the same method you did a few days afterwards. nothing has been dispatched yet :(

HowieHobbit
11-18-2015, 02:15 PM
I ordered some powder coating and drill & tap on a piece on the 30th October and added 4 or 5 items to that (no work needed) using the same method you did a few days afterwards. nothing has been dispatched yet :(

Eugh, that sucks a bit! I don't even want powder coating - I just want 2 holes drilled, so hopefully shouldn't take too long for it to be done. One's a switch hole and the other is just the hole for the blade retention screw.

Remulos
11-18-2015, 03:50 PM
I just got an email, parts got shipped today!! :D

2 and a half weeks including 3 orders combined into one, powder coating and drill & tap. I'm very happy with that!

HowieHobbit
11-19-2015, 02:02 PM
I just got an email, parts got shipped today!! :D

2 and a half weeks including 3 orders combined into one, powder coating and drill & tap. I'm very happy with that!

That's good news!!! So hopefully I will be getting my order just before TFA in December. Well, actually thinking about it, might be cutting it kind of fine. Buggery =(

Remulos
11-19-2015, 05:02 PM
International priority USPS delivery takes 6-10 working days. I'll let you know how long mines takes. This close to the movie every day counts.

HowieHobbit
11-19-2015, 05:08 PM
International priority USPS delivery takes 6-10 working days. I'll let you know how long mines takes. This close to the movie every day counts.

Well, at least I've actually built one myself entirely from scratch already, so worse to worse I already have a fully functioning saber - I just got addicted to this lightsaber building bug and wanted yet another one! =P

Remulos
11-27-2015, 08:16 AM
FYI, delivery took 6 days from the dispatch email. Would have taken 5 days but got a call on day 5 to pay the ???? customs fee which added an extra day.