PDA

View Full Version : Root Kill method

Darth He-Lo
11-15-2015, 01:57 PM
Just got got my copper sulfphate crystals hope to start etching soon. What various resistants are everyonenusing for their designs?

Greenie
11-15-2015, 02:17 PM
I've only used electrical insulation tape so far, but it worked pretty well. If your work piece is cleaned and tape stuck down well, the lines are pretty clean :)

darth_chasm
11-15-2015, 02:42 PM
Cut vinyl if you can design a vector graphic and get a sign shop or car graphics place to cut it for you. As Greenie said, vinyl tape is good. Nail polish/enamel paint.

sks1138
11-15-2015, 03:21 PM
As darth_chasm said vinyl works very well. I happen to work for a commercial printer so I have access to cut vinyl for my etching patterns. The trick is getting it lined up if your design wraps completely around your piece. If you're going that route using a clear or opaque vinyl works great to allow you to mark the piece for a straight application, and get several pieces cut in case you mess up.

CET
11-15-2015, 04:15 PM
I haven't done the etching yet, but I ordered PNP blue. You can run it through a toner printer and then bake it onto the metal. The bits with the toner will stick to the metal after the baking process, giving you very clean lines and intricate designs. I've got an Adobe Illustrator file that I will be using so ensure clean lines with minimal pixelation. I'll post some pics of the process once I get to doing it.

Miraluka
11-15-2015, 10:58 PM
I haven't done the etching yet, but I ordered PNP blue. You can run it through a toner printer and then bake it onto the metal. The bits with the toner will stick to the metal after the baking process, giving you very clean lines and intricate designs. I've got an Adobe Illustrator file that I will be using so ensure clean lines with minimal pixelation. I'll post some pics of the process once I get to doing it.

I'm interested in seeing how you do that and how it turns out.

CET
11-15-2015, 11:14 PM
I've been studying this tutorial: How to: Lightsaber Acid Etching Tutorial - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc1dhjR7dZk)

ARKM
11-16-2015, 12:57 PM
I used to use spray paint but now I use laser printer toner. However I print it on pages torn from a magazine instead of PnP Blue (I personally have never had good results using PnP Blue). I use high temp heat tape to tape the paper to the saber part and bake it at 325 for 15 minutes. Works excellent for cylindrical parts but terrible for flat parts. I also use clear tape (NOT the kind labeled "magic") and black vinyl tape as well.