PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever tried a trans purple blade?

Necro
11-01-2015, 10:06 AM
I was curious as to the best LED. I was thinking of a tri-white CREE with two for the main light and one FoC.
The blade looks fairly dark so I wanted to illuminate as much as possible.

Greenie
11-01-2015, 01:45 PM
White on white doesn't sound like a good combination for FOC effect but others may know better :)

Necro
11-06-2015, 03:21 AM
No one else has an opinion? Just to explain my reasoning for white on white: I've done a lot of reading around here on purple blades. It sounds like a difficult thing to achieve. Everyone seems to agree that a red or blue LED with a blue or red filter (respectively) can give a color that by some will be purple and agreed to by all as being dim. I'm wanting to achieve a bright, deep purple. It seems that a color other than white will not be as bright for either main lighting or FoC. Judging by the color of the trans purple blade any color LED will be dimmed a fair amount so white on white will give me the brightest possibility.

Silver Serpent
11-06-2015, 05:44 AM
Purple isn't hard to achieve. You use a multi-die LED, mix red and blue (or royal blue) in parallel, and adjust the current on the red to get your exact shade. This is the way to get the brightest blade. White LEDs with a trans purple blade will still be dimmer than mixing red and blue.

Necro
11-06-2015, 05:02 PM
I had seen that. I even saw one suggestion of a quad di using two royal blue and a green and a red. I would really prefer the trans purple blade so it would be purple for display purposes. Just wanting to figure out the best possible LEDs so I could have a FoC.

Cire Yeldarb
11-06-2015, 05:54 PM
If you are adamant about the Trans Purple Blade, I would say go with the XP-L (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Cool-White-Cree-XP-L-CopperNova-P1017.aspx) LED for Max Brightness...
But if you are adamant about FoC as well, then I guess Tri-Cree with White LEDs is probably going to be your best bet... though I might go 2 whites for brightness, and then like a green or some other color for the FOC just so it stands out a little bit from inside the purple blade...